Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<snip> I'd like to calculate a trip to our favourite ski hill with the Monkey Bars & a roof box, however it's summer time so I don't know what my Wh/km in winter would be with the roof box. <snip>

Or do I have to wait until winter and mount the roof box and go for a test ride in winter conditions to find out the actual Wh/km and enter that in Reference Consumption? A little more instruction on using the Reference Consumption combined with Outside Temps, Road Conditions, Wind Speed, etc. would be appreciated.

Great question, @bpjod and I would tend to agree with @WannabeOwner that it should be roughly the same % decrease as Summer. Maybe a bit more as you'll be using the Heater instead of the Air Conditioner.

I think it would be quite comical if you took your Bikes or a Kayak to the ski slope in the dead of Winter. Likewise, take up your skis to the slope in Summer. I imagine people would give you some interesting looks. :confused:

Its going to need an upgrade for the Easter-egg though

From

2015-03-02-image-21.jpg

To

latest

:)

• Funny
Reactions: Darren S
As Google announced their hefty price changes, we previously moved to an OpenStreetMap-based solution for address autocomplete (you type a few letters for a destination and get a list of proposals). However, as many of you have noticed, the address database was not nearly as complete as Google's and the search wasn't really that good either.

Today we switched to another provider of autocomplete/search proposals, HERE maps. This is a paid solution, enabled by your donations to ABRP. We think it works a lot better - let us know your thoughts.

I've tried only one (so might have been bad luck :) ) - it happens that I was trying this the other day and struggled with the previous autoComplete.

The Red is what Google has, and its spot on.

The Blue is not really close enough; it is the right location for the postcode (for York University), but Google correctly takes me to the centre of the Uni Campus, rather than the "nearest Postcode" which is on the edge of the campus.

Also, all the Foreign ones could be down-played. If ABRP knows that I'm in the UK then I'm happy that I only get those entries. If I want to go to France I'm happy to be expected to have to type "xxx , France" in ... dunno if its possible to use something like that to get rid of the foreign ones?, and thereby perhaps give me more that are within my own country

ABRP_YorkUni.jpg

• Helpful
When planning a trip, if I have entered a manual figure for my reference consumption, how do I cancel that and restore the automatic value for reference consumption directly from the car's data? I ran some test figures with a higher rate of consumption, but now I don't see a way to just go back to the real world value based upon the car's data.

Thanks in advance.

When planning a trip, if I have entered a manual figure for my reference consumption, how do I cancel that and restore the automatic value for reference consumption directly from the car's data? I ran some test figures with a higher rate of consumption, but now I don't see a way to just go back to the real world value based upon the car's data.

Thanks in advance.
Just reselect the car model in the drop-down menu. This will reset the reference consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
A few things --

First, I'm using ABRP extensively for the first time on a three-week road trip starting Monday.. and it's really just awesome. Thank you!

Second, there's definitely a browser memory leak or something interfering with the MCU. Twice now (and this never happened before), while using ABRP in the car browser, it freezes up. The Tesla Nav also freezes up. Then the MCU itself hangs. Bluetooth audio disconnects and I get this loud but very short 'click' sound a few times. Then LTE disconnects and I have to reboot the MCU to restore everything. Not that you can fix this as it's the browser, but just FYI. I'm currently on 2018.18. (I'm not upgrading yet because of the increased AP nags).

Third, while planning a route with a 09:00 departure time, I got the following results:
(yes, I do know NaN means Not A Number... ;)) Doing the exact same thing on my Macbook worked.
upload_2018-8-8_7-25-41.png

Again, thanks for ABRP.. really makes "planning" out a trip a no-brainer. On every other x-country other road trip I've done, my method was to take the miles to the next supercharger, multiple by 125% and charge to that much, or 130% if there was rain, wind, or expected traffic. I never had a problem with that method. But with ABRP, I don't even have to do that anymore. I did link it to my car so you can collect more data, although I still do use Waze for the actual navigation. It's still fun seeing the street view popups, though. Yesterday, it had me turning left onto a highway, but right into an overpass wall. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl
A few things --

First, I'm using ABRP extensively for the first time on a three-week road trip starting Monday.. and it's really just awesome. Thank you!

Second, there's definitely a browser memory leak or something interfering with the MCU. Twice now (and this never happened before), while using ABRP in the car browser, it freezes up. The Tesla Nav also freezes up. Then the MCU itself hangs. Bluetooth audio disconnects and I get this loud but very short 'click' sound a few times. Then LTE disconnects and I have to reboot the MCU to restore everything. Not that you can fix this as it's the browser, but just FYI. I'm currently on 2018.18. (I'm not upgrading yet because of the increased AP nags).

Third, while planning a route with a 09:00 departure time, I got the following results:
(yes, I do know NaN means Not A Number... ;)) Doing the exact same thing on my Macbook worked.
View attachment 323973

Again, thanks for ABRP.. really makes "planning" out a trip a no-brainer. On every other x-country other road trip I've done, my method was to take the miles to the next supercharger, multiple by 125% and charge to that much, or 130% if there was rain, wind, or expected traffic. I never had a problem with that method. But with ABRP, I don't even have to do that anymore. I did link it to my car so you can collect more data, although I still do use Waze for the actual navigation. It's still fun seeing the street view popups, though. Yesterday, it had me turning left onto a highway, but right into an overpass wall. ;)

Good to hear that you find it useful! I have noticed the Tesla browser MCU crashing issues on my own car too - it seems like if you make the browser work too hard for too long, the MCU crashes (may be a watchdog or a memory issue, of course). ABRP is trying to give the browser some room to breathe, but when for example zooming extensively, this problem is still triggered.

I have also seen the NaN time issue some time, but I am not able to reproduce it. If you find a way to trigger it, let me know.

And, the Google Street View navigation will have to change in the future - Google pricing is not acceptable anymore. There will still be some kind of simple navigation, though.

• Informative
I also like the recent changes and am eagerly looking forward to using it for an upcoming 9,000 mile / 14,500 km road trip.

Is there a way to have the orientation of the map offer the ability to display "Front-of-car-up" instead of just "North up"?

1. I noticed that CCS is checked and cannot be unchecked...even though there's no way for a Tesla to use CCS at this time. Also, Superchargers are not checked by default even though the car is a Tesla.
2. When I try to calculate a trip from Denver, CO to Aspen, CO, starting at 90%, it shows I will drive 3 hours and arrive at 89% with no charging...so something is currently broken.

1. I noticed that CCS is checked and cannot be unchecked...even though there's no way for a Tesla to use CCS at this time. Also, Superchargers are not checked by default even though the car is a Tesla.
2. When I try to calculate a trip from Denver, CO to Aspen, CO, starting at 90%, it shows I will drive 3 hours and arrive at 89% with no charging...so something is currently broken.
Try reselecting your car model, this should reset both problems!

I also like the recent changes and am eagerly looking forward to using it for an upcoming 9,000 mile / 14,500 km road trip.

Is there a way to have the orientation of the map offer the ability to display "Front-of-car-up" instead of just "North up"?

Good luck on the trip!

Unfortunately there is no way to rotate the map; Google does not support it and the Tesla browser is not fast enough for any tricks. That said, it is likely that we have to switch out Google maps for something else altogether in the near future, so perhaps the next maps provider will have that option.

What's the current best way to add a supercharger as a destination? Typing in "Tesla Supercharger XYZ" does not seem to find many of the superchargers, so I usually search for the city and look for the supercharger on the map. I figure there must be a faster way, but I'm not seeing it.

Thanks.

Typing in "Tesla Supercharger XYZ" does not seem to find many of the superchargers
I think this got worse when the service was switched to a new map provider recently. I wonder whether the developer could get a full list of superchargers submitted as map data. Certainly in Europe I’m seeing a low hit rate for these lookups - while they seem to be on Google Maps - and it is quite an inconvenience.

The workaround seems to be to find the charger visually then add as waypoint

I think this got worse when the service was switched to a new map provider recently. I wonder whether the developer could get a full list of superchargers submitted as map data. Certainly in Europe I’m seeing a low hit rate for these lookups - while they seem to be on Google Maps - and it is quite an inconvenience.

The workaround seems to be to find the charger visually then add as waypoint

That is a good point. We know very well the name of every charger and should be able to extend the autocomplete search data with specific charger matches. Will look into it!

Thanks, that would be very helpful. May I also suggest that in the same pass through the data you pick one standard structure for the name and standardise on that? Eg “Tesla Supercharger Bordeaux”. I’ve noticed that some sources have lots of different structures for naming superchargers and as a result, searches don’t always match.

Thanks again for a fabulous tool.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D