Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A better way to mount toll transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to share a picture of how we mounted a toll road transponder in our Model 3. This is particularly useful if you have any film on your front windshield or you simply don't like look of a (typically) white transponder stuck to your front windshield.

My wife took some dark paper then cut & bent it to make a "hat" or "coat" for the toll road transponder, leaving an opening in the back for the some "velcro like" attachment on the back of the transponder. We then stuck the transponder to the back of the center screen instead of the windshield. No one in the car can see it at all, and it blends in so well that it's barely visible from the outside.

transponder-model-3-800x.jpg

Well done...but here in CA the local authorities claim that they (or the cameras that snap a photo of the front of your car with your passengers) must actually see a transponder, even if it is legal and set to the proper setting (here in the SF Bay Area we have FasTrak Flex with a 3 position switch). So this time I did not black out or disguise it, rather I mounted my small candy bar shaped transponder high up and to the right of the rear view mirror tucked up tight against the headliner. Fairly unobtrusive. FWIW I did try to orient it vertically (both right and left sides up) but the antenna seems to be positional and the bridge transponder would not read it, so it is horizontal.

I actually PlastiDipped my Sunpass Transponder over 4 years ago and it has held up perfectly. Take a look below. It looked great with my past 2 vehicles that had black headliners. But I am sure you could get some silver plastidip to blend it into the back of the screen.

upload_2018-10-27_0-23-5.png

I actually PlastiDipped my Sunpass Transponder over 4 years ago and it has held up perfectly. Take a look below. It looked great with my past 2 vehicles that had black headliners. But I am sure you could get some silver plastidip to blend it into the back of the screen.

View attachment 347392

My Sunpass looks like that too, but in my case, I just used regular black spray paint. When it's mounted next to the cameras you don't really notice it.

That’s a great option, but I unfortunately have to take it off when rolling with 2+ on the 15. I always forget until the last minute and it would be a pain to deal with the constant mount and dismount from there most likely. I agree that it works fine in the console as well. I just can’t get around to putting the mounting tape on my windshield tint.

Smh...First world problems for sure.

What color is that exactly? Also does it blend with back of the monitor if you had to try that?
This is the basic black that most people use for their base coat around $5 a can. It has a slight matte look after drying. This is the color that most local stores have.
The color you probably want to match the back of the monitor would be more of a gunmetal grey. Check the colors on dipyourcar.com to see them

@plasmo , did you use any double sided tape or Velcro to secure the ipass where it is? Or did it wedge there perfectly? I’m concerned about the ipass flying off the dash with the new and improved regeneration when approaching the tollbooths, etc.

Regeneration improvement would only serve to drive the ipass further into the space under the windshield. The issue you should be concerned with is launches....

@plasmo , did you use any double sided tape or Velcro to secure the ipass where it is? Or did it wedge there perfectly? I’m concerned about the ipass flying off the dash with the new and improved regeneration when approaching the tollbooths, etc.

The small Illinois I-pass transponder is a wedge shape, and it fits pretty snug under the glass, however yes I DIDN'T dip the bottom of the transponder (where it touches the dash--plus it has my transponder ID on it) so you can put a small piece of velcro on the bottom to prevent it from moving (I found putting velcro or something sticky on the glass makes the sticky part more visible). Because this part of the dash is made of felt, you don't need to put the sticky velcro (felt side) on the dash because a small piece (very small) of velcro will stick to the dash itself. Just be careful when removing the transponder from the dash and don't forcefully yank it out.

Here’s my original attempt at sticking the transponder to the window, which makes an ugly sticker mark (plus it was a bitch to remove from the glass):
37883F7C-1F68-4503-8E0F-F6C36F2335BF.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow