Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The A/C compressor on the model 3 is a variable speed one, like most every other EV, but unlike ICE. This means if you leave the car in AUTO mode, and the cabin is hot, the compressor is going to ramp up to full speed to try and cool down the cabin. This is why it fades away as the car cools down, or after it runs for a bit of time. This is very much normal behavior. It's kinda loud and buzzy when running full speed, and the fan noise can be considerable as well depending on load and outdoor temperature. As the load or cabin temp decreases, the compressor speed will slow down and as a result it will get quieter.

Out of the handful of Model 3's ive heard running the A/C, they always made the same loud buzzing sound. Its expected and normal behavior. The steering wheel and even interior vibrates a little bit when the compressor is running flat out. If this bothers you, dropping the fan speed will effectively limit the compressor speed. The entire system is variable speed, and the fan outside will only run as much as required. Dropping the fan speed inside will limit how much heat the system can remove, and as a result should drop the fan/compressor speed outside. I think it would be nice if they had a 'quiet auto' mode that limited the fan/compressor speed a bit so it wasn't so loud at times.

I agree with M109rider, if it's common to all of these cars I'm not concerned. For me, I think if this were a car with an ICE I might not have thought about it in the first place.

I was demonstrating summons for a group of friends, one commented on how cool the car sounds when it's moving. I love these cars.

Tom

Reactions: M109Rider
I've noticed what I might describe as a rumbling sensation when the AC is running hard, especially when first starting the car. It seems to relax after a minute or two. I assume this is the compressor really cranking at first, and then backing off once the work gets easier. I feel it almost more than hearing it.
My y just started doing the same thing after 5000 miles , it is the compressor, I took the cover off in the frunk and felt it

I have the exact same vibration , I checked it out, took the cover off in the frunk, I identified the vibration to be coming from the compressor/ heat pump . I did notice that the insulation on the compressor was hitting a part of the body e.g. cross support , the compressor is obviously mounted on rubber for vibration , so I'm not sure if its significant . The bubble in the refrigerant scenario makes much more sense , do to the fact it seems like the vibration comes in cycles .

Tony

Hello,
Any news/fixes from Tesla regarding this vibration related to the A/C or heat pump. I have it especially on highway, even with fan speed set to 1 or disabled. It is probably to manage the battery temperature but it creates a loud noise in the cabin at 43Hz, and it is very tiring on trips.

Below is a "sound capture" using Spectroid app on Android.

Screenshot-20220612-170050-org-intoorbit-spectrum.jpg

Thanks for any feedbacks

I have a 2020 Model S. Situation is exactly same, with AC on, during a hot day (around 90F), steering wheel given a pretty annoying vibration. It happens only when the car is at HALT on a traffic light. As the car starts picking up speed, it does not bother much.