Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A couple of questions please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to place an order for a model 3 LR to replace my Golf, but I'm on the Isle of Man so it's difficult for me to take a look at a physical car without going to the UK.

I have a dog cage in my Golf and I have it in the boot with the 2/3 seat down so the dog can see us when we are driving.

My question is the cage is 18" high, so does the M3 have 1/3 - 2/3 spit seat and will I get an 18" high cage in please.

Thanks in advance..

It does have 1/3-2/3 fold down, but measuring it just now the opening is 17 3/4 inches :(

Edit: On further thought, I should elaborate. It seems that the entire “close” part of the trunk has a ceiling of that height. I don’t think anything fully 18” high would fit in.

Last edited:
It does have 1/3-2/3 fold down, but measuring it just now the opening is 17 3/4 inches :(

Edit: On further thought, I should elaborate. It seems that the entire “close” part of the trunk has a ceiling of that height. I don’t think anything fully 18” high would fit in.

Hmm - looks like a new dog cage on the shopping list then..

Thanks for the prompt reply ;)

I have a dog cage in my Golf and I have it in the boot with the 2/3 seat down so the dog can see us when we are driving.

My question is the cage is 18" high, so does the M3 have 1/3 - 2/3 spit seat and will I get an 18" high cage in please.

I think I'm picturing what you are saying. You know the Model 3 isn't a hatchback? I mean, what goes in the boot is fully enclosed unless rear seat is down, as being discussed.

upload_2020-2-23_10-27-40.png

So no view out of rear window, or even out the top etc. The rear squab(?) is totally fixed. I'm not sure I would want to lock my worse enemy in there, let alone a family pet, even is rear seat was partially down. It would be pretty claustrophobic made worse by how deep the boot is.

I'm not a dog owner, but some of the rear seat hammocks look like a good solution that I would consider if I had a dog.

Hi PaullOM

We too were nearly put off order our Model 3 by needing to carry a dog but a kind sales person found pictures of an adaptation that someone in the States had made. Our dog is quite young so we thought she would probably adapt - and she didn't particularly enjoy riding in a car kennel in the boot of our old car.

When we took delivery we adapted a picnic blanket to cover the back seat and fastened a smallish cage to the child seat fixing points and felt that she was completely safe in the car. However I was a little concerned about the space the kennel took up. So as I wanted the dog to be as safe in the car as us, I researched car harnesses for dogs and found the Sleepypod car harnesses - which is crash tested and safe - unlike the hammocks where the dog could easily be slung forward into you or through the windscreen in a crash. Our dog took to it very quickly and sits there like the Queen of Sheba. I have no worries about her safety or her distracting us. Highly recommended if you have a medium or large size dog. Slightly pricey but no more than a couple of visits to the vet!

Reactions: freekie