Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few more questions from a new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far so good on my 18 M3LR and I'm really loving it except it's a bit noisy but not that bad.
How do I get any service info on the past services done? App doesn't have any history like it's a phantom car. I connected my Spotify to the car and it plays great but where is it getting the data from? I show LTE signal but am I being charged for this data?

I don't know about the service history.

To get Spotify on the Tesla screen, you need Premium Connectivity that costs $100/year. Some people with early Model 3s may have gotten free Premium Connectivity for as long as they own they car. My guess is the previous owner purchased Premium Connectivity and you will need to renew it when it expires if you want to keep using it.

This page briefly lists what is included with Premium:

Of course you can stream Spotify from your phone via bluetooth without Premium. You can also set up your phone as a hotspot.

Reactions: nicksp
How do I get any service info on the past services done? App doesn't have any history like it's a phantom car.

Past service information belongs to the previous owner. It's unfortunate but that's the way Tesla treats service history.

I called the closest service center and sweet talked a lady there. I was able to get some information but definitely not a list of things done.

What tires are in the car?

I don't know about the service history.

To get Spotify on the Tesla screen, you need Premium Connectivity that costs $100/year. Some people with early Model 3s may have gotten free Premium Connectivity for as long as they own they car. My guess is the previous owner purchased Premium Connectivity and you will need to renew it when it expires if you want to keep using it.

This page briefly lists what is included with Premium:

Of course you can stream Spotify from your phone via bluetooth without Premium. You can also set up your phone as a hotspot.
Yeah, I connected my phone as a hotspot but I noticed that even without my hotspot turned on, I see the LTE symbol and the car seems to connect to Spotify. Guess I will find out from Tesla what's included on this specific car.

Past service information belongs to the previous owner. It's unfortunate but that's the way Tesla treats service history.

I called the closest service center and sweet talked a lady there. I was able to get some information but definitely not a list of things done.

What tires are in the car?
The tires are Michelin Sport All season. 235/45 ZR18. They seem pretty new with a lot of tread left.

When I go into Software, I see the following:
Premium Connectivity - Included Package
Does this mean it is on the car?

That means you get free lifetime Premium Connectivity, due to the car being a 2018 model from when they gave that away for free.

Since you are in Canada that is an incredible deal considering the cost of cell service here. Even the subscription fee is a steal but free is always better :)

039XX. LR-RWD. I made sure again that my Hotspot was off. I guess I have premium connectivity. :)
As stated upthread, you can go into the menus and see what type of data plan your car has. But with a VIN as low as that, it's almost guaranteed that you have Lifetime Premium Connectivity. It's basically what pushed me over the line and made me order the car in mid-June 2018. I was hoping to hold out for the (then) upcoming AWD but I decided that LPC had more value to me.

OT:
Really my only desire for AWD would be for the times I'd go skiing in Tahoe but after thinking about it for a bit, I realized I'm a "fair weather" skier and I believe that the last time I had to put chains on my car (2000 BMW 323i) was in 2002 when it took me 11 hours to get to Truckee from San Jose. Actually the last two times I've been to Tahoe was to go skiing at Palisades (nee Squaw Valley). Both were on July 4th :) .

Reactions: nicksp
As stated upthread, you can go into the menus and see what type of data plan your car has. But with a VIN as low as that, it's almost guaranteed that you have Lifetime Premium Connectivity. It's basically what pushed me over the line and made me order the car in mid-June 2018. I was hoping to hold out for the (then) upcoming AWD but I decided that LPC had more value to me.

OT:
Really my only desire for AWD would be for the times I'd go skiing in Tahoe but after thinking about it for a bit, I realized I'm a "fair weather" skier and I believe that the last time I had to put chains on my car (2000 BMW 323i) was in 2002 when it took me 11 hours to get to Truckee from San Jose. Actually the last two times I've been to Tahoe was to go skiing at Palisades (nee Squaw Valley). Both were on July 4th :) .
Yeah I'm not into winter sports but do take trips at times in the winter months. I guess snow tires it is. Would have liked AWD but found this M3LR with low miles for a 2018 and it had the premium packages with a good audio system. So decided to pull the trigger.

As far as the noise is concerned.... What's the exact model of Michelin Sport All season? There's several models out there.

Early this month I put on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ in the standard 235/45R18 size. I was tempted to go up to the 245/45 as it was several $$$ cheaper (more tire but lower cost????) and would protect the rims better (all four have curb rashes) but I was worried that it would further decrease my range as I was coming from the stock MXM4s. I haven't really noticed much difference in the noise, although reviews have stated that the RE980AS+ is supposed to be noisier than average. Maybe it's because I usually have the "good audio system" up to 11 most times.

I went with the Potenzas as I had a couple of earlier versions on my 3-series BMW and liked the handling. The new rubber on the 3 feels a lot better going around corners than the MXM4 they replaced, which isn't really unexpected. I've noticed that the driving efficiency has gone down a bit (i.e., using more energy per mile) when looking at the Energy charts but I'm going to wait until I have several hundred miles on the Potenzas before seeing what the energy cost is to get the better handling. Hopefully it's only in the single-digit percentage range and not something really bad.

As far as the noise is concerned.... What's the exact model of Michelin Sport All season? There's several models out there.

Early this month I put on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ in the standard 235/45R18 size. I was tempted to go up to the 245/45 as it was several $$$ cheaper (more tire but lower cost????) and would protect the rims better (all four have curb rashes) but I was worried that it would further decrease my range as I was coming from the stock MXM4s. I haven't really noticed much difference in the noise, although reviews have stated that the RE980AS+ is supposed to be noisier than average. Maybe it's because I usually have the "good audio system" up to 11 most times.

I went with the Potenzas as I had a couple of earlier versions on my 3-series BMW and liked the handling. The new rubber on the 3 feels a lot better going around corners than the MXM4 they replaced, which isn't really unexpected. I've noticed that the driving efficiency has gone down a bit (i.e., using more energy per mile) when looking at the Energy charts but I'm going to wait until I have several hundred miles on the Potenzas before seeing what the energy cost is to get the better handling. Hopefully it's only in the single-digit percentage range and not something really bad.
It says Michelin Pilot Sport all season. They still have a lot of tread left.