Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few P85D questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering "upgrading" to an early P85D.

Q1: Can a second owner buy into the Ludicrous retrofit upgrade? (see: Tesla — LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT) or is only the original owner eligible?

Q2: How hard would it be, and how long would it take, to do an entire "decor swap" between two cars? (one car is Carbon Fiber, the other Piano Black, I want to swap them out).

Q3: I had a third question, but I can't think of it right now.

I'm considering "upgrading" to an early P85D.

Q1: Can a second owner buy into the Ludicrous retrofit upgrade? (see: Tesla — LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT) or is only the original owner eligible?

Q2: How hard would it be, and how long would it take, to do an entire "decor swap" between two cars? (one car is Carbon Fiber, the other Piano Black, I want to swap them out).

Q3: I had a third question, but I can't think of it right now.

Q1: No, original owner only is Tesla's position (and there have been posts here about second owner's trying and being denied and having their $500 refunded after placing the order from the Tesla Store).

Q2: I got nothing

Q3: (I'll just answer the no question). I just traded in my P85D with ~41,700 miles on it - turned it in to Houston North Service Center. I haven't seen it show up on any CPO sites yet but I can vouch that if you could find it you'd be getting a good car.

Mike

Reactions: Andyw2100
If you are buying CPO you could try to get the upgrade included as part of the deal. Not sure if Tesla employees have that much leeway now though.

If you're buying from the original owner you can have them do it for you.

Or you can think if it's really worth it to you. I can count on two hands how many launches I've done in over 2 years with a P85D and passing acceleration is not begging for more. I wonder how many people could tell in a blindfold test if they're in a car with it or not?

If you are buying CPO you could try to get the upgrade included as part of the deal. Not sure if Tesla employees have that much leeway now though.

The problem with upgrading the P85D is, unlike the current offerings where it is simply a programming exercise to turn it on, the original P85Ds need hardware upgraded to make it happen.

I did not do the Ludicrous upgrade because, like you, I found the performance acceptable as is to me and also the whole charging me to get something I thought I was already getting just didn't sit well with me.

Mike

Oh, third question. The P85D has the Tesla center console installed after delivery. Can I swap that with the original yacht floor in my P85+? Or just pull it out and sell it, and put a Yacht floor back in its place?

I read on newer cars that the center console is a non-removable part. I don't know if that's true for the after delivery installs.

Mine's got the yacht floor (which I prefer to the console) so I'd guess you could swap.

Note that the seat heater in the NG seats is quite bad. It only heats a bit of the center of the seat so the bottom of your thighs at the front of the seat and sides of your thighs on the bolsters stay cold. Also, low seat heat is quite hot. Not sure if that's a big issue in CT or not.

@NOLA_Mike, Yes.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
We bought our "fully loaded" inventory 2015 P85D in July 2015. It came with every option (including front & rear Next Gen seats) except 3rd row seats and Ludicrous. Absolutely love it... but am considering Ludicrous upgrade which our Tesla Sales Associate confirmed in writing is available for $5,000. Not sure if I'm going to upgrade it since from what I've read and driving a Ludicrous Tesla really only adds performance from 30+ mph. That added power would be nice passing on 2-lane roads where you can never have enough power... but not enough power while passing can definitely can soil your pants. Coming from a 3,100 lb. 505hp 7,000 rpm redline 2006 Corvette Z06 which had TONS of passing power it's the only thing I miss from my Corvette.

Still Ludicrous a $5,000 expense which may increase our P85D's resale... but may also prevent a potential buyer from being interested because it doesn't have Ludicrous power. No perfect answer... Just personal preference and spendable cash flow.

I inquired about how much it would cost to remove my center console and install a yacht floor and the price they quoted me was approaching $2K....

But that must have included the parts... I have all the parts, I just want to do a swap, and I'm just trying to confirm it's possible before I start taking things apart (well, that is, if I end up getting the P85D).

But that must have included the parts... I have all the parts, I just want to do a swap, and I'm just trying to confirm it's possible before I start taking things apart (well, that is, if I end up getting the P85D).

Good point! Its definitely possible according to the Houston North Service Center. Since you have the parts, the labor shouldn't add too much additional cost.

I'm with you, I still love the yacht floor. And my wife has nowhere to put her purse. I told her she just needs a smaller purse--that didn't go over well :)

Q1: Original 7/17/2015 announcement stated (Three Dog Day) "In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor.". Tesla took its time and accepted orders past the 6 month deadline, but technically they have an out if they want to refuse it (whether the car was produced before 7/17/2015 or order came way after 6 months). The price also went down to $5K including labor. They could also stop making it available.
Q2: Search this forum for people doing wraps of decors. Assuming that all the decor pieces are identical shape between the two cars, swapping it should be quicker than wrapping (during wrapping they take them all off, wrap, and put back in).
Q3: No clue.

Oh, third question. The P85D has the Tesla center console installed after delivery. Can I swap that with the original yacht floor in my P85+? Or just pull it out and sell it, and put a Yacht floor back in its place?

I read on newer cars that the center console is a non-removable part. I don't know if that's true for the after delivery installs.

I have a December 2014 P85D, and the center console. Mine was installed over the yacht floor, so if I ever took it out, the yacht floor would be there. Is it possible the car you are considering purchasing has the yacht floor underneath?

New question: Is the range arguably better with an early P85D compared to P85+? Assume 21" wheels and summer performance tires.

No. My P85+ (w/21" staggered wheels) probably got slightly better range than my first edition P85D (w/21" staggered wheels). But it was close enough to where I'd say it was a push.

Maybe I could've gotten an extra 3 or 4 miles per charge on the P85D had I used Range Mode but I wasn't willing to sacrifice any climate control for the sake of that 3 or 4 miles.