Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few photos from a 2.5 annual maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
My 1 year / 12k maintenance was done today. I didn't watch all of it, but I did take a few pics ..

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

The PEM was not opened up -- simply turned upside-down and blown out from the bottom.

Can you tell what those rows of things are in the PEM? Heat sinks?

They are slowly replacing some of the fans used for cooling the PEM and motor. Did they replace yours?

How long did the entire service take? Did they come to your house or did you go to the service center?

Can you tell what those rows of things are in the PEM? Heat sinks?

I believe they're heat sinks, yes.

They are slowly replacing some of the fans used for cooling the PEM and motor. Did they replace yours?

They aren't ready yet. I tried hard to coordinate that (and the HID install) but neither are ready yet :-(

How long did the entire service take? Did they come to your house or did you go to the service center?

They were here from about 1pm to 8pm. They did NOT service my A/C (not necessary for first year I'm told). There were a couple timing snags (nothing to do with the service itself) which may have added an hour or so to the whole thing but in general ~6 hours for service.
I had them come to my apartment. They require a covered area and 120V outlet (for an air compressor). I almost drove to NYC (200 miles) but paid for them to come up here this time instead. I'll probably drive down when the fans and HIDs are ready and turn it into a mini-vacation or something.
I'm dropping $600+tax for the service and $410 in ranger fees so it'll be about $1050 total.

The original-res pics are up on my picasa site if you want to really zoom in (Picasa Web Albums - Ben Goodwin)

Hmm. Tesla said they want my Roadster for 2-3 days when I bring it in next month.

If I remember correctly, that's the time it took for my yearly service last December. The main reason for the long time was an in-depth battery test that took many hours (overnight? 24 hours? I don't recall). This test was done for the benefit of R&D.
I guess the Rangers do not have the equipment required for such a test...

I had my 2.5 1st year service early September. Three days in Menlo Park. I had some bolts loose so they re-torqued a bunch. They did a very nice cleaning job best I can tell.

I wonder, did the ranger service call do a bleed test of the battery? Everytime my car goes to Menlo Park they do that.

It was nice taking Caltrain and BART from and to Menlo Park to drop off and pick up my car. Service at the Fremont factory will not be so nicely located.

Don't they do a bleed test almost each time they work on a car? At least I remember them mentioning that when the Tesla Rangers have come here.
Yes, they do a "quick" bleed test that lasts one hour. I just had one last Saturday as they fixed my broken driver side window motor...
The annual battery test is somehow more "detailed". I don't know what the difference is but I guess the "short" test is a partial discharge followed by a recharge while the "long" test they may do several complete discharges and recharges at different rates and maybe to different levels.

They were here from about 1pm to 8pm. <snip> in general ~6 hours for service.
<snip>
I'm dropping $600+tax for the service and $410 in ranger fees so it'll be about $1050 total.
That is very reasonable for a $100k+ car for 6 hours of actual work including the ranger fees.

Still seems like a lot of maintenance for an EV, though - at $0.15/kWh that's 7000 kWh which is enough to drive at least 20-25k miles. So maintenance costs more than "fuel"!

Thanks for the pics!

What happened then? Did he repeat the test until it ended without warning condition?
I searched the forum, but didn't find any explanation what a bleed test actually tests, what the test result indicates, if it includes any curing procedure (e.g. rebalancing). Anybody got details from Tesla?

It still failed, so the problem appeared to be real.

As I understand it, each string in the pack has a bleed resistor that can be switched in to bleed power off the string. The current is monitored to verify it is within normal limits. Out-of-limits could indicate a problem such as a poor connection, cell problem, etc.