Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A gearhead buys a Telsa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was definitely a fun watch. But... it was also kinda painful. I don't know about you but when I got my Zoe back in 2015 I had researched the finance and technology side of things for well over a year. I knew exactly that in extreme cold, I just have to drive both a bit slower and a bit more careful. The GOM on the Zoe has never failed me even once, I always had exactly as much range as it indicated, and *that* was the most important thing, more important than pure range alone.

I drove a 1 series BMW for two weeks after having an accident and I was shocked to find that my indicated range after driving 55km had dropped by over 80km. I had a 110km trip, 150km range left, but had to refill before heading back. For some reason I wanted to avoid refilling because the habit of charging at home has become VERY strong...

Hearing their surprise about cold temperaturs bringing down the range? Kinda awkward.
"I was driving speed limit" - maybe, but how was he driving? I somehow doubt that he was very gentle on the pedal. And to think, that was what he called a real pain when driving electric.

But yeah, it's not gonna be stopped anymore now. I don't expect everyone in the older generation to jump on board right away, even though a lot of them are. Convenience is what'll make electric transportation be the clear winner.

Disappointed the first thing the Tesla owner has to say is he does not believe in climate change.

Yeah. I don't know if it's some weird hipster thing or a symptom of the tribalism we're mired in but it's like it's suddenly 'cool' to be ignorant or self absorbed. Rejecting reality and hurting people for convenience doesn't make you 'cool' it just makes you pathetic. How did being ignorant, pathetic or evil become in vogue???

Gonna be hard to make progress if ignoring or being indifferent to the problem are seen as desirable traits....... truly pathetic.

Yeah. I don't know if it's some weird hipster thing or a symptom of the tribalism we're mired in but it's like it's suddenly 'cool' to be ignorant or self absorbed. Rejecting reality and hurting people for convenience doesn't make you 'cool' it just makes you pathetic. How did being ignorant, pathetic or evil become in vogue???

Gonna be hard to make progress if ignoring or being indifferent to the problem are seen as desirable traits....... truly pathetic.
Have you seen our president? Supreme Court? I don’t think hipsters are to blame for the current state of our country (or our world).

Then why do so many people feel compelled to bring it up? If their head was in the sand they wouldn't mention it one way or the other.

I'm not a science denier, but I also didn't buy my car primarily to save the world. I bought it for the specs, handling and appearance. It's not just the best EV, it's the best CAR! Reducing my carbon footprint is about reason number 821 for me- just a nice addition.

Reactions: Carrera
I'm not a science denier, but I also didn't buy my car primarily to save the world. I bought it for the specs, handling and appearance. It's not just the best EV, it's the best CAR! Reducing my carbon footprint is about reason number 821 for me- just a nice addition.

I also didn't buy my Tesla to 'save the world' I was just tired of being part of the problem and I needed a way to get around.....

Reactions: astrowunder

We know the planet is getting warmer, we know that humans are responsible for some or maybe most of that warming trend. What we don't know is what, if anything, reducing our carbon output is going to do over the next 20 years let alone the next 100 years. We can't flip a giant switch and turn off our use of fossil fuels and we don't know if the switchover to EVs for example, even if we had 100% global adoption in a few decades would end up mattering much.

We also know that if the US, Europe, Japan and South Korea magically overnight eliminated 100% of their carbon output that the planet is going to continue warming up due to increasing levels of CO2 output in China, India, other parts of Asia and Africa.

I can't recall who the climate scientist is but he is pretty well respected and had a long thread on Twitter not too long ago in which he pointed out the skyrocketing level of China's CO2 output and how the US output has been curbing down harder than Europe's even though we bowed out of the Paris climate accord sham and elected a "climate denier" president.

I think his thread was titled something like "your outrage is directed at the wrong place". He talked about the reality which is that if China doesn't do something then all the efforts of the west aren't really going to amount to much. There is an argument that China should be given a free reign since the west already developed their infrastructure and economy... but that also blows up the argument that climate change is this alarming we're all going to die and OMG save the polar bears thing that has completely taken over people's brains.

The problem that myself and other 'non-idiots-who-aren't-climate-alarmists' have is that a lot of demands are being made in the form of increasing financial penalties for using fossil fuels without a very good idea of what the benefit is going to be, beyond people feeling good that they "did something".

The problem that myself and other 'non-idiots-who-aren't-climate-alarmists' have is that a lot of demands are being made in the form of increasing financial penalties for using fossil fuels without a very good idea of what the benefit is going to be, beyond people feeling good that they "did something".

Honest question: Where is the line that someone becomes an 'alarmist'? If I propose some incentive to reducing the use of fossil fuels does that make me an 'alarmist'?

I also didn't buy my Tesla to 'save the world' I was just tired of being part of the problem and I needed a way to get around.....

Pretty much guaranteed you're still "part of the problem". The typical westerner consumes over 50X the energy of your typical global "poor person". Amazingly most of the people the most wound up about climate change aren't quite ready to give up their air conditioners, refrigerators or using wasteful aircraft when they need to travel.

Reactions: Carrera
Honest question: Where is the line that someone becomes an 'alarmist'? If I propose some incentive to reducing the use of fossil fuels does that make me an 'alarmist'?

The alarmists are the ones who are prognosticating that my young son might not live to be an old man with children or grandchildren of his own if we don't do something immediately, something drastic, like taxing the hell out of the use of fossil fuels.....

Alarmists are the ones who aren't willing to acknowledge that predicting climate change is incredibly difficult which is why other than trend-lines pretty much NONE of the predictions have been born out in what has actually happened with the climate.

I have a hard time taking people seriously who are screaming gloom and doom about what's going to happen over the next 50-100 years when the models they built just a few years ago can't predict what happened this year.

Pretty much guaranteed you're still "part of the problem". The typical westerner consumes over 50X the energy of your typical global "poor person". Amazingly most of the people the most wound up about climate change aren't quite ready to give up their air conditioners, refrigerators or using wasteful aircraft when they need to travel.

I produce ~2x as much energy as I use... at least from that perspective I'm no longer 'part of the problem'. Mathematically I've even produced enough excess energy to cover the embedded energy in my car and solar panels.

The alarmists are the ones who are prognosticating that my young son might not live to be an old man with children or grandchildren of his own if we don't do something immediately, something drastic, like taxing the hell out of the use of fossil fuels.....

Alarmists are the ones who aren't willing to acknowledge that predicting climate change is incredibly difficult which is why other than trend-lines pretty much NONE of the predictions have been born out in what has actually happened with the climate.

I have a hard time taking people seriously who are screaming gloom and doom about what's going to happen over the next 50-100 years when the models they built just a few years ago can't predict what happened this year.

Sweet... so there's really only a handful of 'alarmists'... like literally a hand full. Even the most dire mainstream predictions agree that your son will indeed have grandchildren (though living in present day Miami probably won't be an option).

There is agreement that predicting climate change is difficult. We're not sure if it's gonna be apocalyptic or just catastrophic.

Most predictions have been inside the error bars. Not sure why you think 'NONE' of the predictions have borne out. The majority of the consensus predictions have been very accurate.

Sea Level Rise

Global Warming

Ice loss

Last edited: