Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good FSD question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to test drive a 2020 Model 3. The car has 3.0 computer with FSD visualization. On the test drive the only thing this car would do is autopilot. It showed traffic lights etc but would not even change a lane on the highway on its own. Question: Even though the car came with FSD would one still have to pay the upgrade to FSD to activate it fully or go on the monthly subscriber plan? My 2018 has enhanced autopilot and does everything but stop at lights and I pay nothing more for autosteer, autopark, autopilot and enhanced autopilot and summon. However, this car didn't even have Homelink and that's a $325 option.

1 - Does having the 3.0 computer mean you have FSD?
2 - Do you still have to pay the 10K to unlock the FSD?
3 - Or, pay the monthly $100.00 to use FSD?

I went to test drive a 2020 Model 3. The car has 3.0 computer with FSD visualization. On the test drive the only thing this car would do is autopilot. It showed traffic lights etc but would not even change a lane on the highway on its own. Question: Even though the car came with FSD would one still have to pay the upgrade to FSD to activate it fully or go on the monthly subscriber plan? My 2018 has enhanced autopilot and does everything but stop at lights and I pay nothing more for autosteer, autopark, autopilot and enhanced autopilot and summon.

Your 2018 has EAP. They don't sell that anymore.

It used to be 5k for EAP, and then 3k more for FSD.

Now it's basic AP (what you experienced in the 2020) for free, and FSD (which is everything in EAP plus stop light/stop sign, and coming soon city streets) for 10k.

1 - Does having the 3.0 computer mean you have FSD?

No.

2 - Do you still have to pay the 10K to unlock the FSD?

Yes if you want to buy it instead of rent it.

3 - Or, pay the monthly $100.00 to use FSD?

$200 actually.

$100 is the monthly cost if you have an older car with EAP. If you only have basic AP it's $200/mo.

The Test drive car with FSD, you need to set a route in the Nav system other wise only AP is active.
NoA (Navigate on Autopilot) needs to know were its going.

Similar to AP when NoA is active you'll see a single fat blue line in the middle of the display instead of the 2 thin AP blue lines
Auto lane change needs to be enabled or you can have it prompt you when it's about to change lanes, but it won't
change lanes until you approve

If the car came with FSD you wouldn't have to pay any extra either. FSD includes everything summon, smart summon, auto park, NoA

Its going to be interesting with subscription based FSD
Second hand buyers are going to have to be even more vigilant when purchasing a car with FSD

Your 2018 has EAP. They don't sell that anymore.

It used to be 5k for EAP, and then 3k more for FSD.

Now it's basic AP (what you experienced in the 2020) for free, and FSD (which is everything in EAP plus stop light/stop sign, and coming soon city streets) for 10k.

No.

Yes if you want to buy it instead of rent it.

$200 actually.

$100 is the monthly cost if you have an older car with EAP. If you only have basic AP it's $200/mo.
Those are the best answers I could have hoped for. Glad I did not trade my 18 for the 20 as I would have been a very upset puppy. Thx for taking the time to answer these questions.

The Test drive car with FSD, you need to set a route in the Nav system other wise only AP is active.
NoA (Navigate on Autopilot) needs to know were its going.

Similar to AP when NoA is active you'll see a single fat blue line in the middle of the display instead of the 2 thin AP blue lines
Auto lane change needs to be enabled or you can have it prompt you when it's about to change lanes, but it won't
change lanes until you approve

If the car came with FSD you wouldn't have to pay any extra either. FSD includes everything summon, smart summon, auto park, NoA

Its going to be interesting with subscription based FSD
Second hand buyers are going to have to be even more vigilant when purchasing a car with FSD
I did put in an address for the car dealer. I drove 8 miles away and then got on the highway and hit the navigate button but it would do ap

I did put in an address for the car dealer. I drove 8 miles away and then got on the highway and hit the navigate button but it would do ap
Hitting the navigate button you may be turning it off
It normal defaults on (blue) when you engage AP
If you tap it and it goes from blue to grey you're actually turning it off and only AP will function