Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good update on the last Model Y post!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for your help on my motion sickness post. I got over it in the rental, and bought the MYP. I love it. I got it today, and had a few questions …. This is after buying the MYP after renting a 22 LR for a month

Model Y performance 2023

Just picked up brand new model Y P (what a great car) - I’m new to this world, I love my car more than any non living thing I’ve ever had, but have a few questions for those who are familiar with it + the model Y LR

* is it the pedals? But for some reason, and it’s not all bad, there’s less of a go kart hyper sensitive feeling when I try to zoom. I feel less torque, and the car almost feels slower? The 0-60 is strong but… I can’t quite put my finger on it. It doesn’t feel as fast as the LR I had.

* I found myself not able to really use one pedal driving today. The regen brakes are much slower. Why would that be the case? Is it just like that on the MYP? Or … do I have something wrong with my car?

* the screen has been slightly laggier today, than with my LR. Is it possible it’s just getting used to all the connections to my phone and sort of updating software or what not?

* I turned sentry mode on today and it reported 4 incidents while I was parked in a parking lot. I don’t see damage on my car. I heard I need a usb but … should I be worried

Reactions: WyoDude
1. Its definitely not slower than a model Y LR, but things like state of charge and battery temperature can reduce power output.

2. Regen is impacted by lots of stuff, like battery state of charge, battery temperature etc.

3. I have never noticed any lagginess to the screen, so I am unaware of what you might be experiencing. New cars do not come on the latest firmware, so I wouldnt worry about anything like this until your car updates to the latest firmware staged for it (which could take a day or two, or weeks)
4. Sentry mode does nothing without having a USB in the car, however brand new cars come with the USB so you probably already have one in there. Its in the glove compartment. As far as "should you be worried", if you mean because of random sentry events, no. It just detects motion.

I also recommend (highly highly recommend) reading through the online manual for the car, especially since you are new.

Congratulations, there is a lot to get used to.

Reactions: Thp3 and Dantley
Regarding the acceleration, there are different acceleration modes under Controls > Pedals & Steering > Acceleration. Sport will give you the maximum performance.

Sentry Mode will function even without a USB (though all Teslas now come with one), but you won’t get video of Sentry alert events, which are the ones triggered by motion around your car. Sentry alarm events, which are the more serious ones, will save video in the MCU even without a USB, and you can download that video to a USB after the fact. Note that Sentry Mode will use 1-2 miles of range per hour, so don’t use it when parked in a secure location.

Reactions: mikez10288
I've had my MYP for a few weeks although haven't driven it much yet. When I first took delivery, I set up my profile according to some of the very helpful Tesla guys on You Tube. One setting I selected was 'max speed' (or something like that). I set it to 90mph. Driving the car the following day I noticed it was not even close to being as quick as it should be so I checked my profile once I'd parked. I de-selected the max speed and next drive the car felt much more like it should. So I don't know if that was coincidence or what but maybe something to consider.

* is it the pedals? But for some reason, and it’s not all bad, there’s less of a go kart hyper sensitive feeling when I try to zoom. I feel less torque, and the car almost feels slower? The 0-60 is strong but… I can’t quite put my finger on it. It doesn’t feel as fast as the LR I had.

The basics first: Is your car in Chill mode? This will temper the throttle response quite a bit.

* I found myself not able to really use one pedal driving today. The regen brakes are much slower. Why would that be the case? Is it just like that on the MYP? Or … do I have something wrong with my car?

Regen is temporarily not as effective (or disabled completely) when the battery is cold (less than 55 degrees F) or if it is fully/near fully charged. As the battery warms and range depletes, regen strength will return.

Glad you like the car.