Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A horrible experience, and an open letter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely interested to see the outcome for this. As mentioned, besides the window not closing, my car has all those issues listed as well. To me they were minor but if they are actually major issues I'd like to know if they can take my car back too.

What were the three major defects you took it in for anyways?

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and Vitold
I may delete this post so that Tesla's image is not hurt and it doesn't deter others from buying one. Tesla did not ask me to remove anything, and let me know I have every right to speak freely about this. If I remove it, it'll be because of my own decision. Or, I could keep it posted so that any future readers will know that Tesla's customer service is outstanding, and that the manufacturer does not take issues like this lightly. What do you readers think?

You can't delete the post. You can only do that, or any other editing, within one hour of posting.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
At this point OP has tried other methods and therefore I would say it IS the best way to handle it.

This is a great example of an open letter. The issues were reasonable. The issues were well documented. The OP asked for reasonable accommodations.

The ones crying to Tesla about other people getting newer features in their newer cars.

.. Not so much.

@johnschlemmer, You've probably already discovered that Canunk is correct, you've lost the opportunity to edit it to remove it. But your post is one of the types that's expected here. Air your issues and get feedback from other owners. And you said you didn't want to go public with your issues. Oops, too late. E-magazines mine the forums for good and bad comments from members. We hope everything works out for you regardless whether its your current X or a different one. I believe you will be pleased with the final outcome from Tesla and your regional manager. I hope and I already believe you will report back on your thread when its resolved and you are satisfied with the outcome.

What you have experienced is not the Tesla company/employees or the Tesla car that most of us know. Good luck, but I believe you will come out in the end, very happy.

Reactions: gabeincal
As I said in the original post, I would have much rather not posted this on a public forum. Luckily the regional manager quickly got back to me after I did this (although I believe he read the letter I sent him and responded because of that, not because of this post). I'll check with a moderator to see if I can edit the title to keep this updated.

As for The Dublin service manager, he was very nice to me the other times I took it in for service, and to be honest it did surprise me when he dismissed the windshield issue in that nature. But I can't help but feel he didn't do his job properly when so many other service issues fell through the cracks. Even if he wasn't directly involved with them, it's still the responsibility of the service manager to see things though.

As I said in the original post, I would have much rather not posted this on a public forum. Luckily the regional manager quickly got back to me after I did this (although I believe he read the letter I sent him and responded because of that, not because of this post). I'll check with a moderator to see if I can edit the title to keep this updated.

As for The Dublin service manager, he was very nice to me the other times I took it in for service, and to be honest it did surprise me when he dismissed the windshield issue in that nature. But I can't help but feel he didn't do his job properly when so many other service issues fell through the cracks. Even if he wasn't directly involved with them, it's still the responsibility of the service manager to see things though.

100% agreed about his responsibility

Reactions: Akikiki
Sorry for your problems. It seems to happen all to often with Tesla and probably will until Tesla learns it is cheaper to get it right the first time than to fix it. That being said, read the interner on any car company's problems. I had a car that I drove home from the dealer and all the wiring burned off the engine in my garage. A friend got 20 miles on a Merc S Class and the engine blew up. In almost all cases the company makes it right. I hope yours gets fixed quickly.

Just imagine if only X had normal doors.

But that's not eye candy, which is what Tesla likes to go for, same with the problematic presenting door handles. There's really no need to reinvent the wheel. The drivetrain is great, why sour it with extraneous stuff that detracts from the EV experience and brings on negative publicity.

I was down at the Dublin service center for a minor fix today (same location that the OP has been working with), and had time to chat with the service manager there (long time Tesla employee, very experienced (both in the SF Bay Area and also in the EU, very friendly and helpful). We discussed some customer complaints (some posted here in other threads), among other issues, and specifically talked about the Model X windshield issue. He specifically noted to me that the model X windshield ghosting issue is well known at various levels inside Tesla. He says that there is currently no fix/new windshield, and that when they figure out the answer, all affected customers will be addressed. He noted that the service managers actually have a ‘script’ from corporate to basically read to the customer. He acknowledges that this is suboptimal, and that some customers have been less than happy when told that this issue cannot be corrected immediately. Not fun for him, not fun for those affected. Doesn't help the OP. Don’t shoot the messenger.

I too have had many problems with my Model X P90DL. During first 10 months it was at service center more time than I have had it but I have decided to not post any addition details until I see if I can get Tesla to resolve the issue. Should know something within next two weeks. It is not what I expected from a car which cost me $160k (fully loaded).