Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A joke, or just plain incompetence?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I have a liking for people/businesses who stick to what they claim. So I guess that will rule out Elon and Tesla. (Even if they might eventually be able to deliver me a fantastic m3 some time in the near or distant future. I am sure the loss will be all mine).
No soup for you! I love it when a poster adds a little levity to the agony of waiting. This is both a joke and incompetence, You DO NOT want to deal with this company and the feeling may be mutual. Get your deposit back before the company goes bankrupt ! :D

Last edited:
@Op, you are right it is a joke or utter stupidity. For someone to plop down $1000 and have no idea what they are doing is pure nonsense. Day one reservation holders knew that getting a car by the end of 2017 was a best case scenario. As a Canadian I always thought that if I got my car in 2018 it would be pretty good based on knowledge of Tesla. Now, even if you don't know Tesla you should know how to read. There web-site has clearly stated ever since that deliveries will begin end of 2017 and said new orders won't be ready til 2018.

To sum it up for my part:
I see myself as one kind of typical car buyer; I can afford mostly any car I want, but cars isn't really the biggest of my interests, so I usually go for a no frills car. I am also used to decide what car I want, then go to the car shop and buy the car I have decided to go for. Then I usually get the car in a month or two.

Hence, my "Tesla experience" so far have definitely been a new experience. Pay deposit, wait one year + one year delay. I have actually not cancelled the M3 yet, but I see it as unlikely there will be a M3 for me.

There are however more reasons for this:
1. The price for my decired configuration will not be even close to the 35K that was indicated as a starting price.
2. Actual price will probably be closer to (in my view) more desirable EVs like Jags, Porsches, Mercedeses, Volvos, VWs which will be available more or less at the same time as the M3.
3. From producers that CAN produce cars and holds what they promise
4. Who do also deliver proper guarantees and do have proper service centers. (Tesla is known to be worst in class on both where I live).

I also mention that Tesla is expected to deliver in total 10k cars in 2018 in my country. About the same as VW golf EV. (1/5 of total EV sales).

So sorry Elon, thanks for inviting to the party, but sorry you wasn't able to show up the actual day. I do wish you and your disciples all the best!

To sum it up for my part:
I see myself as one kind of typical car buyer; I can afford mostly any car I want, but cars isn't really the biggest of my interests, so I usually go for a no frills car. I am also used to decide what car I want, then go to the car shop and buy the car I have decided to go for. Then I usually get the car in a month or two.

If you can afford mostly any car you want, and if you are not accustomed to waiting a year... why not just buy a Model S?

If you can afford mostly any car you want, and if you are not accustomed to waiting a year... why not just buy a Model S?

Was just about to say this. Even at the higher price point, my wife thinks the Model X was worth every penny we paid for it. This is from someone who drove a 2006 Accord forever.

New Roadster for me if "I can afford mostly any car I want".

"No frills" makes even reserving a Model 3 a dumb move. Personally not a fan of those who really stick to $35k config and not a penny more - what a waste of AP hardware suite.

Would like to suggest an edit to post title:

Am I a joke, or just plain incompetent?

Okay? You do realize that this whole thing is like waiting in one long-ass line at Disneyland right? Sure, some people have fast passes but no one gets upset when someone bails on their place in line and heads for the exit.
Maybe, but I don't hear "It's A Small World" playing in the background...non stop...forever...emblazing it's melodic version of purgatory onto the very synapses of your brain.

Just sayin'

Dan