Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little deceiving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t get me wrong. I love Tesla. I love my Model 3. I was super excited about the Model Y. But honestly, I can do without the deceiving pricing displayed where the price + gas savings is front and center and the real price is tucked away. But here’s a new one. I noticed on the Model Y landing screen, they prominently state: 300 mile range and AWD on the same line. I get it, both specs are available, but not both together. It’s just... deceiving.

Attachments

• 20E8282F-7612-4BED-859D-DCA2DDA63F7F.png
    20E8282F-7612-4BED-859D-DCA2DDA63F7F.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
  • Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and Troy
When will Tesla do their marketing correctly, unequivocally, unambiguously? So that Tesla fans don't ever have to keep defending their tactics with: "I wish they'd worded it like this", or "I think this is what they meant", or "they're a new company with growing pains",....

When you shop for cars on a dealer lot in the U.S., they all have a Monroney sticker, which in large font states the gas savings OR the extra gas charges that that car will incur on average.

Good luck finding this information on websites for automakers selling gas hogs.

Tesla makes both the list price and the price after gas savings easily visible at a glance on its web page, both for desktop and mobile. Many people don't think about the savings from not having to buy gas, but they are very real for the vast majority of people. This is why information about gas savings is required by law to be put on the Monroney sticker of every single passenger vehicle sold in the U.S.

Personally I preferred it when Tesla used to have a gas savings calculator that allowed you to input your zip code and current car's MPG (IIRC), but the current format is simple and useful -- comparable to what is on a Monroney sticker.

InkedScreenshot_2019-03-15 Design Your Model Y Tesla_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans L
Much needs to be qualified by Tesla to clear up the deceptive sales cost and actual performance.

Savings from gas consumption (if already driving an ICE, under predetermined conditions), add paint, add wheels, add interior color, add delivery cost, add processing fee ($1200), add other features..., 325 mile range (best case scenario, no heat/ac, occasional full to empty charge - not recommended, more like 70-80% routine use), no mention of cold impact, ect...

Way too much to understand for the average consumer.