Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Little Drive Over to Reno.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rms your numbers match what ChadS has written in his posts.
I think the discrepancy in what roblab describes is the calculation of projected miles. When the car switches from going uphill to going down, the projected will have a large swing.

Thanks. Yes, it is projected miles, and software has since done away with the dash numbers I used to look at. I now just figure 7 mi loss per 1000' up, and 4-5 gain for 1000' down.

I go to Scottsdale next week, from Harris Ranch to Barstow: 230 miles, but uphill from Bakersfield. I will probably stop at Bakersfield RV and charge another 30 - 60 miles before heading up to Tehachapi, for the same reasons: I don't know how much charge it will take, and I don't want to do an additional 40 miles out of my way to recharge at the Tejon charger.

I was searching around for some way to visualize elevation changes over a given route. Some of you probably have already figured it out, but I did my first this afternoon.

I plotted a route on google maps, in this case from my house to fallon, NV.

find the "link" button, which will give you a URL. Copy the link (it's already highlighted)

go to gpsvisualizer.com and click "draw a profile" in the upper right of screen.

New screen, change meters to feet if you wish, then to the box that says "OR provide the URL..."

It will give you a PNG image that you can save, convert to JPEG if wanted, etc.

Here's my elevation profile for my trip starting in Angwin, over Boreal, down to Reno at mile 210, then to Fallon, NV. It gives a good idea of what you will "spend" going somewhere. I figure 10 miles lost per 1000' up, and 7 regained coming down. YMMV.

angwin to fallon feet.png