Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A mouse ate my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your personal work trying to analyze how to keep your car safe from mice!

Have you tried wrapping some of the wires you see exposed? I wonder about how frequently one might need to replace the oil.

Focusing on protecting the wires under the frunk would have the benefit of isolating areas to check/maintain.

I think of making it impossible to nest in the area under the frunk. Fine hardware cloth, perhaps steel wool (stainless steel wool?) to minimize or eliminate nesting areas. Tesla should make a retrofit for this since they have the specs.

Thanks for your personal work trying to analyze how to keep your car safe from mice!

Have you tried wrapping some of the wires you see exposed? I wonder about how frequently one might need to replace the oil.

Focusing on protecting the wires under the frunk would have the benefit of isolating areas to check/maintain.

I think of making it impossible to nest in the area under the frunk. Fine hardware cloth, perhaps steel wool (stainless steel wool?) to minimize or eliminate nesting areas. Tesla should make a retrofit for this since they have the specs.
It’s far too difficult to wrap all the wires. Huge undertaking.

Can’t block access either.

Could buy an electric mat and surround the car.

Possible to work steel wool but I don’t think it’s likely to be effective. I’ll think on it.

I use peppermint oil proven to work. I’ll wait till I can’t smell it and add more.

I don’t know if the ultrasonic plus lights will work. I installed one.

I’ll also going to trap.

This copper mesh looks promising (won't rust - but overpriced):

They claim: "Copper mesh is also ideal for distilling, Easy to clean".
So handy for Tesla distilleries.

I have walls of an old rf screen room laying around. Maybe I can rip out some of the old screening to make the area under the frunk unsuitable for nesting.
I don't have any of that stuff.
I like the idea of double sided sticky tape. It might hold mice. It might not hold rats though, but should upset them.
I already put some down. I plan to put more and better stuff.
I am also using Peppermint oil.
I'm trying an electronic ultrasonic device with flashing lights.
Only time will tell. I presume they nest as winter approaches. Springtime here....
Thank you,
George

Any new advice or developments on this front? Mice have done the same thing to our three Teslas and the service center is no help, other than charging me several hundred dollars per repair visit. They refuse to put mesh or capsaicin coating on the wires and I don't know who can do this (other than me). Following this thread!

Any new advice or developments on this front? Mice have done the same thing to our three Teslas and the service center is no help, other than charging me several hundred dollars per repair visit. They refuse to put mesh or capsaicin coating on the wires and I don't know who can do this (other than me). Following this thread!
Have you actually read the thread? There are plenty of suggestions for you to try.

Mint extract is a mixture of spearmint and peppermint, whereas peppermint extract is just that. Mint brings a bright, bold flavor to recipes. On the savory side, spearmint is usually the mint of choice, however when it comes to sweet, peppermint is the herb of choice as it pairs well with chocolate and citrus flavors.
I had wheel sensors eaten off 2 of My Model 3s multiple times. I tried dryer sheets and peppermint extract and it worked for a few days but the rats came back. Pest control told me they are clever pests and will acclimate to the smell if they deem that the scent is not harmful/dangerous to them.

The only way I got rid of that offending critter is when it climbed into my Model X (could hear it in the bumper), I drove my car 10 minutes away and parked it there overnight. It left the bumper in the morning and then I drove it off to work. I haven't had this issue since.

I opened my glovebox on the Model 3 a few weeks later and discovered all my registration paperwork completely shredded and turned into a rat's nest :eek:

I also fired my Pest Control company because it turns out they got lazy and stopped filling the rat traps with poison. Hopefully that will keep this issue under control.

Reactions: pipestem

Watch enough of the YouTube videos of Mousetrap Monday so you learn.

I think Tesla is right, mesh or capsaicin coating on the wires is very impractical if not impossible to be effective.

Here's what I would do:

1. Get rid of the mice/rat population as best you can from the general area you park your car. They don't need to flourish near your car. Get a professional or develop some skills with traps. I built a rat trap based upon YouTube. It has been quite effective. I also got some feed that's supposed to only kill the rodents and not poisonous to other creatures. There are other methods and poisons that other say work well with dispensers and such. Choose your poison, so to speak. Do what you must to cut back or eliminate them from your area.
2. Make sure there's not attractant or food stuffs anywhere in the areas you park. This will provide support for a growing colony of rodents. Eventually they will find your car a nice place to nest nearby. I had such a problem and the removal and cleanups seems to have been helpful.
3. Use a combination of measures inside of your car. Here are some suggestions: The strongest possible double sided tape. Put it in the spaces where the rodents enter the vehicle. I had problems under the plastic of the frunk. So I lined everywhere I could with the tape. You can try the light/noise devices, but I don't hold a lot of promise. In addition to that I put a dispenser for peppermint oil smell. You have to refill roughly monthly.
4. If you can, lock the car(s) in enclosed space.
5. IF all fails. Many of the wiring harnesses can be replaced by the owner. You can buy them from Tesla and install yourself. Or just pay Tesla to do the repairs.

But I'd do everything possible to prevention as rodents can total a car.

I haven't had another problem since but it hasn't been a full calendar year yet.
I cut the population way, way down through mostly successful trapping.
I haven't seen evidence with my tape that they've ventured into my car. Yet...

Reactions: StealthP3D
Yeah, rodents suck... A few weeks ago, some mice decided to chew up all my seatbelts in my other car... Dealer quoted $3k to replace all the belts. When I looked up the part numbers, it's because the auto-tensioner motors are sold as one piece with the seatbelt hardware.

Hi, curious as to how this happened? Was the car stored for a long time?
No, the car wasn't in storage.

I drive the Tesla 5 out of 7 days a week, sometimes twice in a day.

We drive the truck once every two weeks.

We drive the Toyota daily.

My Tesla was parked in the garage. We typically leave the garage door open.
My Ford truck was parked in the grassy field, 200 yards or so away.
My Toyota car was parked outside the garage, within 40 ft of the garage door.

I found that All three had been infested with rodents.

I didn't realize at first.
First, my wife tells me that the truck AC isn't working.

I went to troubleshoot and found a rodent nest in the engine compartment. A rodent ate a control line, in this case a rubber vacuum line/hose. I repaired this myself.

The Tesla lost any reading change of the outside air temp.
I called for service. They sent a mobile tech. He showed me the rodent nest and the wires eaten by them.
He said I needed a whole harness. Prior to the new harness arrival, I repaired the wires myself.

The Toyota had a nest upon inspection but no damage that I'm aware of.

We have never suffered this problem before.
We moved from Colorado to Florida.
This is our 3rd summer here.

All this happened roughly during our cooler climate season "winter", I think, and likely the second year here in Florida.
Although I'm really not certain when it happened to each vehicle.

We live in a country location, with grazing animals, wildlife, etc.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: kaizen099
Hi, curious as to how this happened? Was the car stored for a long time?
Nope, my car wasn't stored either. I drive the Tesla everyday, and I drive my other car every other day... Mice apparently really love dorritos and cheetos. It started when I got a shipment from Costco... Some mice got into the box in the garage... I got rid of it, and used a plastic storage box to put the snack bags in. I remember I had a bag of snack sized dorittos in the trunk. Mice had gotten into the box... I was cleaning the car, and lifted up the trunk mat, and the floor to access the spare tire area... I found a bunch of chewed up padding and loose dorritos and cheetos... After cleaning everything up, I went to go pickup the kids, and went to put on my seatbelt, and saw the whole thing was chewed up... I checked all the seatbelts, and found they chewed up 3 of the 5 seatbelts.

I always had a small box of snacks in my trunk, for my kids, but this hasn't been an issue until this past summer.

Reactions: kaizen099
Watch enough of the YouTube videos of Mousetrap Monday so you learn.

I think Tesla is right, mesh or capsaicin coating on the wires is very impractical if not impossible to be effective.

Here's what I would do:

1. Get rid of the mice/rat population as best you can from the general area you park your car. They don't need to flourish near your car. Get a professional or develop some skills with traps. I built a rat trap based upon YouTube. It has been quite effective. I also got some feed that's supposed to only kill the rodents and not poisonous to other creatures. There are other methods and poisons that other say work well with dispensers and such. Choose your poison, so to speak. Do what you must to cut back or eliminate them from your area.
2. Make sure there's not attractant or food stuffs anywhere in the areas you park. This will provide support for a growing colony of rodents. Eventually they will find your car a nice place to nest nearby. I had such a problem and the removal and cleanups seems to have been helpful.
3. Use a combination of measures inside of your car. Here are some suggestions: The strongest possible double sided tape. Put it in the spaces where the rodents enter the vehicle. I had problems under the plastic of the frunk. So I lined everywhere I could with the tape. You can try the light/noise devices, but I don't hold a lot of promise. In addition to that I put a dispenser for peppermint oil smell. You have to refill roughly monthly.
4. If you can, lock the car(s) in enclosed space.
5. IF all fails. Many of the wiring harnesses can be replaced by the owner. You can buy them from Tesla and install yourself. Or just pay Tesla to do the repairs.

But I'd do everything possible to prevention as rodents can total a car.

I haven't had another problem since but it hasn't been a full calendar year yet.
I cut the population way, way down through mostly successful trapping.
I haven't seen evidence with my tape that they've ventured into my car. Yet...
Thank you.

After mice chewed up my BMW's wiring harness and into the HVAC air ducts, I declared war. I removed all sources of food from the garage (bird seed, etc.) and put out a bunch of snap mouse traps and a Goodnature A24 mouse trap. Twenty-two mice over a three week period, ten in the first three days, now only one every once in a while. When cold weather comes they will come indoors for warmth and I will zap a bunch more. I have done nothing with my vehicles and so far no further damage. The A24 obliterates their skulls and resets automatically, leaving a pile of corpses beneath it. A squirrel explored our garage one weekend when the doors were open, couldn't recognize its head as it was destroyed. Instant death, very humane.

Goodnature A24 Rat & Mouse Trap | Non-Toxic & Automatic | Goodnature

Reactions: Georgesb2
I have a 2023 MYLR that is about 2 mo old and the passenger side camera went kaput. The technician arrived today and whe he popped it out, it was chewed through by mice. No poop or other damage visible in the wheel well or under the frunk tub. The estimate to replace it includes $430 labor and a $24 harness. It must be a bear of a job for that much labor. Curious if anyone has done this themselves, and more importantly if anyone has put screens on the bottom of the front wheel wells to keep the bastards from climbing up in there? I don't have a garage, and mice are a problem with our other cars too (they just have kept to a diet of fire wall insulation and not wiring harnesses).
Thanks!
CBAE9881-CEDD-44C4-82FF-F6B4CECC7537_1_105_c.jpeg
214738A7-689D-4AD0-8311-F753F52E8600_1_105_c.jpeg

We live in a country location, with grazing animals, wildlife, etc.

That and you live in Florida. I have lived in Floriday. Cleared some lots for houses. Had to climb palm trees, chop out Floriday holly, spanish swords, snakes, rats, lizards, red ant colonies, spiders, gators .... My impression, nearly everything in Florida is growing like crazy and wants to kill you. Be careful out there.

oh yeah, where did you find those mouse trap plans ?

Have no suggestions for folks, but sharing my own garage - mouse anecdote....

I have no food stored in the garage, but around our yard we have huge mature oak trees, the kind that have ironically small acorns and drop probably thousands of them in the fall. Squirrels, rats, and other small rodents do like to store them up for the winter, as it's well more than they can eat even in a few months.

Due to our garage slab being slightly off-level (maybe from settling over 70 years), the rubber compression seal on the bottom doesn't quite fully close the gap on the taller end when the door is down. Probably big enough for a mouse, but at least not a squirrel or large rat Well, sometime last spring, my wife found a few acorns sitting in a pair of shoes on the open shoe rack we keep in the garage at the inside door to enter the house. A few weeks later, I also happened to find a bunch of acorns in another pair of shoes. We don't store a lot of junk in the garage, as we have another large crawlspace we use, so likely there wasn't anyplace inside the garage for the mouse to reside, but just using it as his food hideaway.

Fast forward a bit, and Tesla mobile service comes to change the 12V battery in both our Tesla's. I pop the frunk release, and when the tech lifts the hood, the frightening noise of dozens of acorns tumbling down metal resonated for several seconds - yes, the culprit rodent had gone into the frunk, and stored a ton of acorns in the metal channels on the bottomside of the hood. And they roll downslope to the front edge of the frunk when driving, but roll back towards the windshield everytime the frunk is opened (which is rarely, hence why I never noticed for probably months). Service tech had a good laugh, said later after swapping the 12V, that he only saw two small rodent droppings, so luckily the mouse wasn't living inside the car or chewing on the wires.

These channels are probably to give some rigidity to the thin stamped metal of the hood itself, with a bunch of cutouts in the metal to shave weight. But it's all spot-welded together, so I saw no real way to get inside the channels to remove the acorns. Fortunately if I didn't open the frunk, the acorns settled quickly and didn't make much noise day to day. While I leisurely pondered over months how to eventually get the acorns out (tie a miniature-shrunken acorn-eating pig to a string and let him at the holes?), my car actually got totaled by a drunk driver - so problem resolved....