Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A mouse ate my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased brand new Tesla Model Y in June 2022 and it’s been in the shop 5 times and cost me over $10k in repairs due to rodent damage. I have had 3 exterminators out and have set traps and found nothing. Tesla offers no suggestions and continues to make a fortune on labor costs to repair. They continue to manufacture cars with this soy coating that is apparently like chocolate to squirrels, rabbits, mice, etc. with no warning to the consumer prior to purchase.

Never knew this could possibly be an issue as I have never had anything like this happen in the past.

Multiple manufacturers use similar cable wraps. There are no suggestions for tesla to offer you, regarding rodent damage on your property. There are other threads both here on TMC and in various other vehicle brands about this.

Sorry this is happening to you, but its not some unknown thing.

(model 3 subforum)

(toyota class action )

(honda)

(BMW)

(porsche / audi)

(Ford)

There are more, just google "(car manufacturer) rats eating wires" and you can find information on virtually any manufacturer you want. Since you joined here to post this, I am surprised you did not see any of this online anywhere for other brands.

Had a rat move into our 1st EV some years ago. Seemed to have nested in an area that provided warmth during the charging cycles. I think that long-duration warmth can make EVs more attractive to critters. At the time someone suggested using a few dryer sheets to repel rodents from that area. Never did get any more rats in the car but of course I can't attribute it to the dryer sheets.

This sucks for sure. There are many others that share in your pain from many different manufacturers as posted earlier in this thread. Do you know what type of rodent is responsible? My father had squirrels nesting in the engine compartment of his Hyundai. Peppermint oil rodent repellent was helpful.

There may also be something in the area that is drawing the rodents. Can you try parking the vehicle in a different area? Try removing any other possible food sources from the area. If it's mice setup some bait stations maybe?

Unfortunately all car makers that I'm aware of now use the soy based wire insulation.

I purchased brand new Tesla Model Y in June 2022 and it’s been in the shop 5 times and cost me over $10k in repairs due to rodent damage. I have had 3 exterminators out and have set traps and found nothing. Tesla offers no suggestions and continues to make a fortune on labor costs to repair. They continue to manufacture cars with this soy coating that is apparently like chocolate to squirrels, rabbits, mice, etc. with no warning to the consumer prior to purchase.

Never knew this could possibly be an issue as I have never had anything like this happen in the past.
As a deterent, look for one of those ultrasonic devices specifically for rats and just plug it in near the car.

Also, like folks are saying, this is not a Tesla specific thing, you got rats, kill them.

Reactions: Spinkick
You don't say but If you park outside this will continue to happen I'm sure. Pack rats and squirrels are the worst around here. People who park outside often leave their hoods up (ICE cars, not helpful for EV's I imagine) and/or put lights under their cars at night. As others have said, not a Tesla specific problem.

EVERY CAR NOW ADAYS HAS THIS ISSUE, its not a tesla thing, they all use soy

My Ex Wife moved into a place and within 3 months rats chewed through the cables of her Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Dryer and Refrigerator. Before that I had NEVER heard of anything like that. Apparently there was an empty lot next to the house with a giant rats nest.

Bets on if OP ever comes back after their first post?

Usually in this pattern (brand new account, joins site, makes post, logs off right after that) its about 50/50.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 11.38.45 AM.png

Reactions: VegasMYP
I store ALL food in plastic boxes in my shop. I have tin Altoid boxes that I poke holes in. I put a couple of cotton balls and put peppermint oil on them. I have them in my frunk, trunks, gloveboxes etc and all corners of my shop. And they stay away. I found a mouse in my Toyota glovebox a couple of years back and not since. Just have to remember to refresh the peppermint oil regularly.

Reactions: Don.Church
This thread scares me. We're in Maine 6 months/year, outside parking in a rural area. Squirrels and mice abound.
We’ve got neighbors at our family cabin in N. WI that are full time residents or seasonal residents. One has a model y, the other has a 4 runner. Both have had issues with mice eating their wiring - their cars are exclusively parked outside.

The 4 runner owner runs a coil of galvanized sheet metal around the perimeter of his vehicle, overlapping the ends and connecting them with binder clips which acts as a rodent barrier.

The Model Y owner has a string of flashing led lights under his car, some sort of sonic rodent device, and a combination pepermint and drier sheets inside the car along with screening of certain areas of the inside of the car.

Both methods seem to be working for the owners.

I found out that rodents had eaten my wiring on my beloved 2022 Tesla Model 3P!
So very upsetting! Turns out all three vehicles were similarly attacked. They were all in different places, different circumstances, but the same property and generally the same time of year.
As far as my Tesla: At first I lost the outside temperature reading. I was stuck on a temperature. It took some time to notice and more time to get Tesla Service. Mobile service discovered the nest. I have since repaired the wiring myself.
Now I'm focused upon solving the issue and preventing it in the future. I've made some videos on my experiences so far:
First was the cleanup. Then the wiring repairs. Then the research. I found the best research with Shawn Woods MouseTrap Monday on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/@ShawnWoodsprimitive-archer
Once I did a LOT of research, I began to work on prevention.
I set up traps.
I used Peppermint Oil.
I installed ultrasonic repellers and lights.

Next, a more sophisticated trapping system.
I will continue to monitor what works best.
But it may be seasonal and we might not know results until late fall early winter.