Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A mouse ate my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue on my Model Y. Mouse chewed through wiring harness and rear light stopped working. $800 to repair. Any suggestions on how to stop the mice from getting in the garage or getting rid of them? Been parking cars in this garage for 3 years never had a problem before now.
1) Don't store pet food in the garage.
2) Mice will build a nest within a short distance of their food source (they don't like to commute long distances.) Mice don't need additional water beyond the food they eat.
3) Rats will travel further to reach food; rats need a source of water.
4) Mice don't like the scent of peppermint oil or cinnamon.

How to evict mice - Grandpa Gus's Mouse Spray:

The CGI mice in the video looked so lifelike. Just kidding, those were real mice.

Last edited:
I am dealing with this right now 😭 went to get a napkin out of my glovebox yesterday and they were all shredded like a mouse was trying to nest. Spouse came home and cleaned everything out and only found a few droppings. So either this is a new situation or it are the bait that my pest company put in the garage and is gone for good. I’m having mobile service come out on Monday but this is freaking me out a bit. How can a mouse get INTO the glovebox. My car is always in the garage but with kids, I can’t guarantee there isn’t/wasn’t dropped food at some point.

Is this an issue that's more common with a Tesla? I know I have the occasional mouse in my garage, but never had an issue with them in 10+ years .. but this thread has me a bit concerned.
It is more common with late model vehicles due to the use of vegan (soy based) wiring insulation. The wiring harnesses can in some cases be wrapped with a special tape or sprayed to be less appealing to a rodent. Rodents instinctively chew to keep their teeth from growing too long. The soy based wiring insulation is readily accessible and tastes good to a rodent. I don't know if rodents can digest the soy based insulation or if chewing just satisfies the rodent's craving.

• Informative
Reactions: DanDi58
Thanks for all the discussion and info here.
I have also experienced rodent settling issue in my previous ICE car but have forgotten totally about it.
If it were not for you guys, I would never realize that those wire & tube insulation material is made of organic environment-friendly materials in new generation cars like Tesla.
The link below is about what I have done today to deal with rodent settling issue in my MY.
I will see how it goes and come back tp update you if there is any other info worth sharing.

Where to put rodent repellent in a Tesla?

Is this an issue that's more common with a Tesla? I know I have the occasional mouse in my garage, but never had an issue with them in 10+ years .. but this thread has me a bit concerned.
Common to all modern cars. Wife’s 2010 Toyota had tons of rodent activity in engine area. Wires were never chewed but lots of droppings. Toyota dealership saw issue initially and said we got very lucky as most times the wires get chewed with so much activity.

My 5-month-old Tesla Y started going haywire when it lost its battery coolant. Turns out that mice had nested behind the Frunk and chewed through the coolant hose. I could drive the car to the Service Center, but non-warranty repair is a twenty dollar hose and more than $700 in labor, plus two weeks! (No parts, so have to be ordered. Sigh.) Apparently this is not uncommon, especially with electric cars. Have had ICE cars for 22 years in same driveway without a problem. Internet theories:
- Absence of a noisy, hot combustion engine encourages rodent nesting.
- EV battery warming when parked encourages rodent nesting.
- Soy-based wire insulation, which is more recyclable, smells like catnip to mice. Present in most cars these days, EV or not.
- Can happen to any car, EV or not.

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution? Thinking of trying to stick rodent-repelling odor bag ("Fresh Cab") in the behind-frunk area where washer fluid is.
Have been eyeing something called a rat mat but haven’t bought or tried.

My 5-month-old Tesla Y started going haywire when it lost its battery coolant. Turns out that mice had nested behind the Frunk and chewed through the coolant hose. I could drive the car to the Service Center, but non-warranty repair is a twenty dollar hose and more than $700 in labor, plus two weeks! (No parts, so have to be ordered. Sigh.) Apparently this is not uncommon, especially with electric cars. Have had ICE cars for 22 years in same driveway without a problem. Internet theories:
- Absence of a noisy, hot combustion engine encourages rodent nesting.
- EV battery warming when parked encourages rodent nesting.
- Soy-based wire insulation, which is more recyclable, smells like catnip to mice. Present in most cars these days, EV or not.
- Can happen to any car, EV or not.

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution? Thinking of trying to stick rodent-repelling odor bag ("Fresh Cab") in the behind-frunk area where washer fluid is.
Same issue with my BMW in Santa Fe. Mothballs in the garage worked wonders. A few behind the frunk might work as well if the car has to be overnighted outside.

Don't rely on smells and lights! Neighbor took a $5500 hit for repairs on BMW using that stuff! Look for barriers. There are electric ones and those that are fences. I put up a fence from Boxcat that is taller than mide can jump and too slick to climb. Keeps mice out of my RV (none have taken bait since I put the RV in the fence enclosure. Also Tesla in one. Can't tell since I didn't see evidence prior to completing the rodent deterrent fence. Good luck. I'm hoping I got them stopped!

Oh boy, this happnes with Tesla as well?

This happened with all my cars when they were parked outside during cold weather in DFW, TX - Acura MDX, Toytoa Rav4, Porsche Caynne. Of couse, we stopped parking outside after that.

I had them getting in several of my cars taking the battery insulation around the 12V battery for a nest. You'd pop the hood and just see a wig in the engine compartment. Maple seed shells, moss etc. Moth balls helped a little but I hate the smell as much as they do.
My 09' JCW Mini Cooper actually pulled the cabin air from behind the 12V battery. Which is exactly where they would build a nest.

- O2 Sensor failure (bite)
- "smells like something is burning" roasted seeds on my engine
- Nest on the cabin filter (gross)

I tried just putting mouse traps where I'd know they were and around the general area just to knock back the issue. Mainly a problem with several neighbors having farm animals, feed and once it gets cold they start looking for a place to make a home.

I remember some other owners had Soy based wire jackets if you google that .. eek.

An update on my earlier report that a rodent - I found a dead mouse in the driveway - had chewed a hole in my battery coolant line, causing a warning on the screen that the Model Y needed service. Systems such as auto steer, music, navigation, heat, and the ability to charge began to fail. When I drove the 65 miles to the Service Center in Lynnwood, WA, the car limiting the freeway speed to 58 mph. Fortunately, I had enough range.

My Service experience was mixed. First, they want you to text through your phone, which was different than other car dealers but I got used to it. The initial appointment was two weeks away, however, by which time the car would have been dead. So I ended up calling, using the phone tree to reach service, and they agreed I needed to drive in while I could. They had to order a hose (seemed like it should have been in stock), then re-order because they got the wrong one, and then order a different one as well. Total fix time was 16 days but because it was finished late Friday and they are closed weekends, I got the car back in 19 days. Way too long, but they kept me updated. Tesla needs more SCs.

Cost (because the damage isn't covered by warranty) was $1,142.58, with insurance probably covering all but the $250 deductible. Tesla provided a loaner Chevy Malibu through a nearby Enterprise lot, which made me appreciate my Y!

So, rodent damage is a headache to be avoided. At Tesla's advice, I put dryer sheets sprayed with peppermint in the mechanical area behind the trunk. I've also installed a battery operated rodent repellent: lights and sound. Hope they help.
Can you explain exactly where you put the dryer sheets? Where is this mechanical area?

You may have better luck parking your vehicle inside a garage. (LPT: Don't store pet food in the garage.) Usually rodents eat, chew through wire harness insulation; your Model Y is the first I have heard of a rodent munching on a coolant line.

According to the all knowing, all seeing interwebs the most effective way to keep mice out of your car is with mint: a scent that naturally repels the rodent. Of all the mint-emitting products on the market, a clean and effective solution is Victor® Scent-Away™ Natural Mouse and Rat Repellent Packs™.

Some say that the scent of Irish Spring soap will also repel rodents.
I know someone who tried Irish Spring for mice ... they ate it.

I purchased brand new Tesla Model Y in June 2022 and it’s been in the shop 5 times and cost me over $10k in repairs due to rodent damage. I have had 3 exterminators out and have set traps and found nothing. Tesla offers no suggestions and continues to make a fortune on labor costs to repair. They continue to manufacture cars with this soy coating that is apparently like chocolate to squirrels, rabbits, mice, etc. with no warning to the consumer prior to purchase.

Never knew this could possibly be an issue as I have never had anything like this happen in the past.

Wow. Sorry to hear this is happening to you. I haven’t heard of this being a widespread problem with Tesla. Are you sure the mice haven’t forged a home somewhere in your car?

Either way, if you have to continue dumping money into this thing, I’d probably just cut my losses. I’m surprised insurance wouldn’t cover this damage though. Feels like it would be a covered loss since the rodents are damaging the vehicle.