Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A new Model x 90 D owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - took delivery of my new Model x 90 D last friday.
Love the drive. But I am a little concerned about the "charging range".

I live in the wonderful country of Canada just to the north of our amazing friends in the great country of the United States of America. ( you guys are awesome!) Luv you all, please come visit !

So I am quoting you in kilometres but its basically 62% of a mile. 1 kilometre = approximately 0.62 of a mile.

So I get my new Telsa X 90 D last friday - I'm fully charged and the computer says I have 532 km of range (330.5 miles).

I drive around a bunch and after driving 136 actual kilometers (84.5 miles) - my estimated range has now dropped from 532km (330.5 miles) to 185km (115 miles). At this point I really don't want to risk a 100km (62 mile) trip so I plug in for a charge.

But think about those numbers; I got an (full charged) Tesla estimated 532km (330 mile) of range then after driving around (subtract) new estimate of range left was 185km (115 miles). So 347 km (215 miles) of estimated range spent actually equated to ONLY 136km (84.5 miles) of distance driven.

So I ended up driving an actual distance of 136km (84.5 miles) on the tesla estimated 347km (215 mile) distance.

So is the actual driving range of a Model x 90 D ONLY 39% as good as what of what was estimated in terms of actual driving range.

Is this normal or ??? to experience 39% of what was quoted?

Seems very strange to get only 39% of what you were promised in terms of range.

Can anyone help me with this? Do I have a lemon - or is this normal ????

Switch to Rated range instead of Ideal, which should give you approximately 413km on a 100% charge. You should be find that rate range will match your actual kilometers much closer. Also do you have 22" or 20" wheels as the bigger wheels will reduce your range by 10%.

I live in the wonderful country of Canada just to the north of our amazing friends in the great country of the United States of America. ( you guys are awesome!) Luv you all, please come visit !

So I am quoting you in kilometres but its basically 62% of a mile. 1 kilometre = approximately 0.62 of a mile.

So I get my new Telsa X 90 D last friday - I'm fully charged and the computer says I have 532 km of range (330.5 miles).

I drive around a bunch and after driving 136 actual kilometers (84.5 miles) - my estimated range has now dropped from 532km (330.5 miles) to 185km (115 miles). At this point I really don't want to risk a 100km (62 mile) trip so I plug in for a charge.

But think about those numbers; I got an (full charged) Tesla estimated 532km (330 mile) of range then after driving around (subtract) new estimate of range left was 185km (115 miles). So 347 km (215 miles) of estimated range spent actually equated to ONLY 136km (84.5 miles) of distance driven.

So I ended up driving an actual distance of 136km (84.5 miles) on the tesla estimated 347km (215 mile) distance.

So is the actual driving range of a Model x 90 D ONLY 39% as good as what of what was estimated in terms of actual driving range.

I live in southern California and I happened to own also x 90D.
Reading your post I feel definitely something is wrong with your battery.
When x 90D is fully charged, it should tell you a range of 256 miles plus minus a few miles. This would give you 413 km plus minus a few kms. This is the maximum range you can get from 90 kwh battery. The rest of your discussion is pointless at this juncture. You take the car back to Tesla service center to have it fixed.
I just made a round trip to Canmore from my home in southern California

I live in southern California and I happened to own also x 90D.
Reading your post I feel definitely something is wrong with your battery.
When x 90D is fully charged, it should tell you a range of 256 miles plus minus a few miles. This would give you 413 km plus minus a few kms. This is the maximum range you can get from 90 kwh battery. The rest of your discussion is pointless at this juncture. You take the car back to Tesla service center to have it fixed.
I just made a round trip to Canmore from my home in southern California by my x 90D. It was a wonderful trip of 4000 miles. Good luck. jp

Set it to rated range.

Not sure there is something wrong with your pack...Re. visual cues and expectations, I simply focus on the % of battery available, ballpark 3 miles per KwH and take it from there. A lot less confusing than looking at conflicting flavors of miles or kilometers.

Like others have said.. it sounds like your car is set to show ideal range instead of rated range. Ideal is basically what you could get going a steady 55 mph on a flat road in perfect conditions. Rated is much more accurate and attainable. However, if you have the 22" wheels and drive around flooring the accelerator constantly while blasting the A/C on low.. then you also won't get close to rated range either. If you drive normally, have 20" wheels and keep the A/C at a modest temperature you can get the rated range or close to it. In our Model S we regularly do better than rated range and in our X we a just short of it.

The United States is not as great as it was 10 years ago. A good 50% or more of our population is more concerned with Kim Kardashian than the Presidential election. We have created a generation of people who feel entitled to everything for no effort. The visionaries like Elon Musk are few and far between.

Not sure there is something wrong with your pack...Re. visual cues and expectations, I simply focus on the % of battery available, ballpark 3 miles per KwH and take it from there. A lot less confusing than looking at conflicting flavors of miles or kilometers.

I second this suggestion. In addition, you should also try to find out the actual capacity of your battery since that will tell you what % equals what Kw (x% remaining = x Kw). You will never get 90 Kw worth of driving from your battery on a full charge. From my experience, my x will let me drive up to about 80 Kw total on a full charge.

Hello jrplivingston.. I have been asking myself that same question about whether I have a dud. I took delivery of my Model X at the end of January 2017 and I am struggling to get more than 140 miles on a single charge? (A far cry of 48% from the 289 `sold' on the website).

This weekend on a full charge (that only took me to 230 miles). I then drove for 91 miles, (see pic)
Tesla screenshot.jpg

and it's only showing that I have a range of 88 miles left. It's running at 66% of what the estimated range from those two days alone. (I'm trying to use the adaptive cruise control where I can as we are waiting for auto pilot to be fully available in the UK.) The car is not fit for purpose. What can I do?

@jrplivingston Please read much more of this forum and then feel free to post back with more information. There are MANY things that impact your battery and I don't think anyone here can judge your battery with only the information you posted here. As others mentioned above, your wheel size makes a big difference. Similarly if you have fun accelerating aggressively, you'll lose a LOT of range. If you drive fast (e.g. 80mph/128kph) you'll also lose a lot of range. If you drive in windy conditions, you'll lose more range. If it's cold you'll lose a lot of range, and many separate trips in cold weather will lose dramatically more than one trip because the battery will have to warm up at the start of each trip. If you drive up hills, you'll also range (and re-generative breaking cannot make up for all of it). If you set your cabinet heat or AC high, it will also impact your range. If you pre-heat/pre-cool without being connected to a charger, you'll also lose range. I'm sure there are other things I haven't mentioned, but my list above should at least get you started on your journey to educate yourself.

Be aware there are sub-forums specific to driving dynamics & battery/charging. I encourage you to read a lot in those forums where you'll learn a ton. Please note that I'm not saying your battery is ok (or bad). I'm just saying that the situation is complicated and without considering all the factors I just mentioned (& more), anyone is just guessing. At a minimum, "ideal" range is NOT "rated" range and that too is NOT "real world" range. IMHO, only if you drive conservatively (no aggressive acceleration) on perfectly flat roads, without any wind, in 70F/20C temperature, consistently driving about 62mph/100kph (or less), etc. etc. etc. will you see range roughly at the rated numbers, and you'll likely never experience the "ideal" range. The more you can educate yourself on the contributing factors, the more control you'll have and the happier you'll be.

Reactions: arijaycomet
Short trips will cause you to use much more than rated range, but it's of no practical importance as they're short trips and you plug in again. On longer trips where range matters you'll see rated range if you're in moderate temperature and not going over about 65 mph. Remember rated range is based on EPA test cycle, not real world.