Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A nut size scratch and a nut size dent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SumeetN

Sep 4, 2023
1AH
I picked up Model Y yesterday and today morning while the trunk was open, I tried to open my home garage door. I didn’t realise the trunk opens at a greater height than other cars. The door knob hit the trunk slightly and cause a minor, very minor, almost invisible peanut size dent and a peanut size scratch below the dent. I submitted a service request for it and pleaded the SC to consider the repair. They have approved the service request with a $0 estimate, but they mentioned it is only an estimate. Would they cover the repair with no cost? Or would they inspect the car when I go for the service and decide the actual price?

Reactions: JDThomas
my subaru was not like that, and the Tesla ability to modify the trunk opening height is very limited, since you can't make it open just a little
What's different about it? It's pretty trivial to Google Subaru owners hitting their hatch on the garage door also.

I think in general it's the owners responsibility to ensure their hatch/trunk can open safely in their garage. Even though the Model 3 trunk likely doesn't open as high, that was one of the first things I did (test how far I need to pull in to open trunk at highest programmable height with garage door open).

As for the adjustment, it sounds like you are having the same issue as first time users of the adjustment. The range allowed is actually very wide. I'm not seeing how it's possible for a garage to be so low that it's not within the adjustment range. The easiest way to adjust it is to stop it with your hand well before it has opened, then push it up manually to the desired height and hold the button until it is set.

Upvote 0
The design is the same across different vehicles but the factory default is the kicker here with Tesla. My Lexus RX350 came with the Medium height as default and configurable through the vehicle console. It's the choice of the owner to make it higher if needed. Tesla come default with Max height, which is always higher than a regular garage door height. This is indeed poor choice by Tesla and a very simple tweak in their production line. It is unreasonable to expect new Tesla buyers to know their trunk is going to open to the max height and be prepared for a dent.
Disagree. It is unreasonable to open the hatch, or your car's door, w/o understanding how wide it will open.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
It's not the height that bothers me, it's the ease with which you can accidentally push the open button. It's right on the main screen so close to every other button. the other thing is that I can't make it open low enough, about halfway down is the lowest it will go

Upvote 0
What's different about it? It's pretty trivial to Google Subaru owners hitting their hatch on the garage door also.

I think in general it's the owners responsibility to ensure their hatch/trunk can open safely in their garage. Even though the Model 3 trunk likely doesn't open as high, that was one of the first things I did (test how far I need to pull in to open trunk at highest programmable height with garage door open).

As for the adjustment, it sounds like you are having the same issue as first time users of the adjustment. The range allowed is actually very wide. I'm not seeing how it's possible for a garage to be so low that it's not within the adjustment range. The easiest way to adjust it is to stop it with your hand well before it has opened, then push it up manually to the desired height and hold the button until it is set.
Thank you. I will keep trying, but that is what i have done at least 20 times

Upvote 0
The design is the same across different vehicles but the factory default is the kicker here with Tesla. My Lexus RX350 came with the Medium height as default and configurable through the vehicle console. It's the choice of the owner to make it higher if needed. Tesla come default with Max height, which is always higher than a regular garage door height. This is indeed poor choice by Tesla and a very simple tweak in their production line. It is unreasonable to expect new Tesla buyers to know their trunk is going to open to the max height and be prepared for a dent.

As can be seen by this thread, it's important to be familiar with the operation of your car. One way to do this is by reading the manual. See the CAUTION section:

1000031709.jpg

Upvote 0
It's not the height that bothers me, it's the ease with which you can accidentally push the open button. It's right on the main screen so close to every other button. the other thing is that I can't make it open low enough, about halfway down is the lowest it will go
What are you talking about? There's nothing anywhere near the trunk button. I don't understand your point.

I have a very real complaint about the Homelink setup, since my gate and garage buttons are very close to each other, and initially I would push them in the wrong sequence. My solution? Get over it, and learn to be careful to hit the right button. Use the system the way it's designed.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Like the other commenter, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here. Are you talking about the car's touchscreen? The trunk and frunk open buttons are in its own section and there isn't any other button nearby. I have never accidentally hit it or even come close. I have a hard time seeing how it's possible to hit it accidentally.

If you are instead talking about in the app, you can press and hold any button on the homepage, then it will pop up to allow you to customize the button. Simply replace the trunk open button with something else.

This video shows how to add a 5th icon, you don't need to do that, just replace the trunk icon with something else.

Upvote 0