TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A pillar trim removal

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Quibbs, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Quibbs

Quibbs Member

I'm trying to find out what is the easiest/safest way to remove the A pillar trim piece.

My 2013 MS has a rattle coming from the passenger side A pillar. A Tesla ranger came to our house a year ago to fix the A pillar rattle along with the pano creak. Luckily the Pano creak noise remains fixed, however the tweeter rattle (the culprit in the A pillar) is back with a vengeance.

I ordered a plastic pry tool kit and want to remove the trim cover to the A pillar to see if I have better luck fixing the rattle.

Since we live 200 miles from the closest Tesla SC I've decided to attempt to fix this problem myself.

2. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

It has an airbag in it. Don't do it.

3. anking

anking New Member

Majority of cars have airbags inside pillar trims. This will not stop me from taking them out if i need to access there. Question is HOW TO DO IT SAFELY without breaking anything.

Your answer is just useless....

4. mobe

mobe Member

Pry off the "airbag" plastic emblem.
    There should be a screw under that.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes. Start with the emblem and the screw. Then use a plastic spudger to pry up the top left edge. Get under there and make enough room to get a grasp. The snaps are very robust, so you may need to pull harder than you think. A quick snap-pull works best. Get prepped for the loud sound when the release. The whole interior panel system pretty much snaps apart. Very handy. Use care to not bend or tweak the piece. Some of the snaps (all replaceable) are very strong. Some are very weak and break, like in the rear hatch. It depends on where you are in the car. But they are easily replaced at a Tesla service center.

Sounds complicated. But it's much easier than you think. Have fun!

6. anking

anking New Member

Worked, Thanks a lot!