Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A public thank you and kudos to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
I wanted to throw out a HUGE kudos to Tesla and the EAP team for the recent leapfrog in AP2 performance.

Mid 2017 I was pretty harsh on all of the false twitter “promises” and “expectations” that were being lobbed like candy. I spoke out, along with others, and asked for that practice to be tempered with some reality or better yet just stop with the tweets and public declarations of things that weren’t even close to reality. Shortly after crickets were chirping.

Jump ahead to my first WiFi / over the air software update since July 22, 2017 ver 2017.28.c52... that came as a Christmas present on December 24th and then a little over week later my 2nd over WiFi update in as many months.

My kudus and accolades and shoutouts to the start of a great new year by Tesla. IMHO the AP portion of EAP has finally eclipsed the AP1 I left behind on my S85D just over 9 months ago. I can now use it with my family in the car without fear of my car doing something really dangerous or back seat driver comments every 5 minutes, lol. Extra side note, we had rain for the first time in Atlanta since BetaAutoWipers were added and they too performed extremely well.

Thank you Tesla and the EAP NN team for a job well done!!

Well said, sir! It's too bad that you've been stuck on 2017.28 until recently, because 2017.42 was fairly wide release and also a intermediate leapfrog release.

I am 100% with you though that AP2 performance in the most recent update (2017.50.3) for me matches and often exceeds AP1's performance. Whether it's TACC, steering performance at high speed, or auto lane change, it's been great! And for the disparities, for every thing AP1 does better than AP2 still, there's something that AP2 does better than AP1 too. Overall I'd say parity is a fitting description.

So, a year since the first deliveries of AP2 cars, Tesla went from zero software to replicating a technology that represents 10+ years of MobileEye work and 3+ years of Tesla integration/refinement, with strong hints of additional functionality to come. I'd call that pretty good from an engineering standpoint and it definitely restores my faith in believing in a bright future for AP2.

With that said though, I really wish Tesla would conduct business in a more forthright/honest matter. This year-long journey wasn't anywhere in the pompous introduction of AP2, and I don't blame Tesla for amassing a crowd of non-believers. Sure Tesla eventually proves non-believers wrong at some point in time, but they have nobody to blame but themselves for attracting a negative fan club to begin with :D

• Love
Reactions: arcus and croman
Speaking of the auto-wipers, I also had a chance to test them out. Found that they overall work well in daylight(if a bit quirky) but fall down completely at night.

Also, fun bug: I’ve found that even with a perfectly dry windshield, at least on setting 2, driving into sudden darkness(e.g. a tunnel) will trigger the wipers. I’m guessing the net has learned a correlation between dimming light and rain.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-now