Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A "scary" trip from Davis CA to Los Angeles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nitpick: How so? 10 minutes In a gas station once per week vs how many hours at chargers over the course of a week?

0 hours at chargers over the course of a week (my garage doesn't count). I think Robert's point is that for most people it's 10 minutes every week versus an hour or two charging during the 2-3 times a year you're making a longer trip. That certainly will be the case for me.

0 hours at chargers over the course of a week (my garage doesn't count). I think Robert's point is that for most people it's 10 minutes every week versus an hour or two charging during the 2-3 times a year you're making a longer trip. That certainly will be the case for me.

True, and same here for the most part -- but I'd honestly just prefer to drive a gasser at that point. So, still 10 minutes of hassle those times you need it, and no hassle all other times.

True, and same here for the most part -- but I'd honestly just prefer to drive a gasser at that point. So, still 10 minutes of hassle those times you need it, and no hassle all other times.

Yeah, I'm still not sure about the whole longer road trip thing. I'm planning to take plenty of shorter trips in my Model S. Either day trips of less than 200 miles round trip (which are usually at slower speeds), or overnight trips where I can charge that are less than 200 miles away (Napa valley, for instance). Frankly I haven't driven to Southern California since I was a college student, I always fly. When we go to the mountains we'll still take the 4 wheel drive. I'll be interested how long it is before I ever decide to charge in the middle of a drive. Because of all that I didn't get the dual chargers, because I still consider it too slow to ever be useful for me even if high amperage chargers were more common. I'd probably consider a single supercharger stop during a day if it was on the way to somewhere, but no more than 1.

But oh, am I looking forward to not having to go to gas stations. I always put it off until my car is almost empty, and then invariably remember that I have to get gas when I'm late to a meeting.

For long trips to be convenient, we need better infrastructure:
  1. More Superchargers to reduce transit time
  2. More L2 chargers at destinations
Driving in Maine, for example, there are two public charging points and two Nissan dealers. Visiting friends, we can often plug into a 110v outlet, but nothing more. So, long distance driving means RV parks (which, fortunately, are plentiful, but unfortunately are usually seasonal).

I think the EPA rated range is fair. Most people probably don't get the rated MPG's out of their gas guzzlers either.
It helps to know the rated range means that your average Wh/mi is about 319. Ideal range would be at 283 Wh/mi. You can keep an eye on that on your energy chart and trip meters. Personally, when the climate control is on I have difficulty getting it below 380, which is where these difficult 200 mi road trips come in to play.