Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

a solution for creaking, squeaking and vibration noise for sunroof and other

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the product that I used to immediately stop the persistent creaking I was getting from my sunroof:

Amazon.com: 2pcs Wiring Loom Harness Adhesive Cloth Fabric Tape 19mm/15m: Office Products

I have a 64XXX VIN car but for some reason have had my fair share of creaking issues. After I got the Next Gen seats installed the seats creaked constantly, as did my dash. Both of these issues were fixed by Tesla Techs placing NVH (Noise vibration Harness) tape along areas of contact. When I asked the Tech about it he said Tesla gets their tape from Lexus. He stated for the creaking dash they place the tape along any area of potential vibration, and for the seat I noted that they had placed tape between the console next to the inside seat bolster which immediately stopped the constant creaking it was making.

For my sunroof I have had worsening creaking the more miles I have put on the car. Tesla has tried over multiple visits and fixes for it to include cleaning the gaskets, and other measures without making it go away. I tried the fix that was mentioned on another thread of apply a strip of velcro on the top of the front metal tab, and this helped a little, but I still continued to have creaking. My sunroof would make quite a racket at times, like being inside an old sailing ship at sea. I ordered the tape above, and took a look at the leading front underside edge of the sunroof. I saw that Tesla techs had tried placed some of the NVH tape at several points underneath during their multiple visits including a small 3" strip on the underside center. Last night I spent no more than 10 minutes applying the above tape to the front underside, wherever the sunroof was metal and it would come in contact with the car when closed. After this quick fix all creaking noise is now completely gone! I just wanted to share this quick easy fix in case anyone else is having unresolved noise or creaking issues.

I would for sure let Tesla try to fix it first, and if that doesn't work try the fix that others have mentioned about covering the upper portion of the front metal tab with soft velcro tape. If that doesn't work then I would resort to the front leading edge like this. Here is a picture of where I placed it. I am going to try and see if I can order the 3M NVH tape, and don't think I can recommend the product above. It has only been 24 hours and when I opened the sunroof to take the picture for you I noted the adhesive had come off in some places. I did note that the Lexus tape that Tesla had use is doing fine, so I am certain that a better quality NVH tape will be the fix I need.

The tape further back from the edge is the Tape Tesla had placed.

Attachments

• IMG_6279.JPG
    IMG_6279.JPG
    696.6 KB · Views: 1,180
Good point. It's a very thin strip of material that sits flush against the gaskets. It didn't leak on the one day I had it And it rained quite a bit. The product above works to stop the squeeking, but the adhesive doesn't last beyond one day. I called Lexus to see how much they charged for their tape, but they sell it as a kit with multiple parts which goes for > $200 and not individual rolls unfortunately.

Wierd. My pano doesn't make any noise at all. Not one peep and my car is older than yours. But is has barely rained here in in four years. Plus it's not nearly as hot as where you are. Maybe that has something to do with it. I did lubricate all rubber surfaces just after buying the car. I've always wondered what the value of that tab was...

CHG-ON, man I am envious. I wish I were in the same boat. It is good to know that it isn't widespread. I love my car, just can't wait to get rid of this last nagging issue with a permanent solution. As I mentioned they have been unable to resolve it over three service appointments, which is a little bit of a hassle as there is no local service center yet in San Antonio.

This is why I'm hesitating to send to service. I wonder if they really have a fix.

Squeaky seals are a known issue on door and sunroof seals where I live (with hot summers and snow in winter). Some of the seal greases dry out in the heat and become really sticky/squeaky/annoying.

The seal grease used for winter preparation (rubber care, e.g. Einszett, BMW rubber care or even Armor All or tyre protectants) should do the job. Do not use silicone or WD40.

The seal grease used for winter preparation (rubber care, e.g. Einszett, BMW rubber care or even Armor All or tyre protectants) should do the job. Do not use silicone or WD40.
Why not silicone ? There are silicone sprays specifically suggesting they're ideal for door seals etc. around these parts. I have a feeling some of those products you recommended are silicone based...