Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Telsa muscle car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slow news day in the auto world. But someone has gone through the effort of rendering a Tesla muscle car. At first I was repulsed..................but after looking at it a couple of times..........Still, just do not see the point.

tesla-muscle-car-renderings.jpg

Tesla_gt_musclecar-06-scaled-640x320.jpg

tesla-muscle-car-renderings.jpg

TESLA GT MUSCLECAR - SABARRAS DESIGN

Have you ever tried driving a car like that?

Several years ago, I ended to with a Camaro rental car (they ran out of the mid sized types I’d reserved.) It was pretty, but the sight lines were horrible, with huge blind spots, little rear visibility, and no real idea where the nose was.

I’ll give up a little handling response for my X windshield and sight lines. :)

Have you ever tried driving a car like that?

Several years ago, I ended to with a Camaro rental car (they ran out of the mid sized types I’d reserved.) It was pretty, but the sight lines were horrible, with huge blind spots, little rear visibility, and no real idea where the nose was.

I’ll give up a little handling response for my X windshield and sight lines. :)

But for some bizarre reason, people pay huge bucks for a 1968 Corvette which has tragically poor visibility.
1968vette.jpg

When it comes to automotive styling, there is no logic. The Buick Rendezvous and Pontiac Aztek were actually the forefathers of our modern SUVs. They were good utility vehicles for their era. But so ugly they would make children cry.

The shape of those cars is associated with "muscle cars" because that's how the mustangs were constructed. They have a very large engine in the front of the car.

Now imagine that Tesla made their car 10% slower so that they could have a giant frunk that you could sleep in. No one would call that a muscle car even if it were faster than the mustang.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
The shape of those cars is associated with "muscle cars" because that's how the mustangs were constructed. They have a very large engine in the front of the car.

Now imagine that Tesla made their car 10% slower so that they could have a giant frunk that you could sleep in. No one would call that a muscle car even if it were faster than the mustang.

As a former owner of a '69 Mustang coupe as well as '69 fastback, I enjoy this thread, but I would correct that "muscle cars" predated the Mustang by several years. What the original Mustang pioneered was the pony car, a sporty but affordable 2+2 coupe for the masses, looked fast (but only certain editions were also true muscle cars), but could still haul a family with it's cramped back seat.

Initially projected to sell 100K the first year but ended up more like 500K a year, drawing huge crowds and lines, and a revolution from what came before. Reason I bring up this forgotten history, is that anyone see in this parallels to the launch and release of the Model 3? The Model 3 captures the ethos of the original pony cars, bringing relative affordability to the masses, and a body style that looks good as both a family sedan or as a sporty car.

Back to styling, over time Mustang popularity waned where it primarily appeals now to muscle car enthusiasts, and most muscle cars now favor pony car proportions and cues rather than other muscle car styles. The Model 3 though sporty is certainly more sedan than sport coupe or muscle car. To make it more pony car would be to make the back seats smaller, maybe a slant back, so it's a 2+2 excuse, which also makes the hood/frunk larger in proportion. But less about making a long frunk just for style sake, since you don't have to fit a 429 cu in V8 in front.

Remember the great progress of Mustang to the "Mustang II". Isn't Ford management so good.
Another great Ford management move - dropping of the Bronco. Heard they are bringing back.
What happened to 2 passenger T-Bird? People thought it would become Corvette competitor.
Mustang early market target were secretaries - straight 6 economy car.

Many wikipedia articles provide good overview of most any US model car since 1950 for sure.