Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Hater just told me "Batteries Cause Cancer"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey mods, this whole thread seems to have taken a silly turn for the worse. It feel way OT from a topic that was kind of off topic for this forum in the first place. This thread seems to be bringing out the bad side of some folks (not directed at any individuals).

/unsubscribe

Hey mods, this whole thread seems to have taken a silly turn for the worse. It feel way OT from a topic that was kind of off topic for this forum in the first place. This thread seems to be bringing out the bad side of some folks (not directed at any individuals).

/unsubscribe
The thread didn't take a turn for worse, because it started in the pits. The OP starts with a false premise (Tesla batteries don't cause cancer) and seems to make unfounded personal attacks on someone for telling the truth (that Tesla batteries can cause cancer).

Some of materials used in Tesla batteries are known carcinogens.

The fan boys keep on attacking people for telling the truth.

The thread didn't take a turn for worse, because it started in the pits. The OP starts with a false premise (Tesla batteries don't cause cancer) and seems to make unfounded personal attacks on someone for telling the truth (that Tesla batteries can cause cancer).

Some of materials used in Tesla batteries are known carcinogens.

The fan boys keep on attacking people for telling the truth.

Moderator note: You can make your point without deliberately insulting people. It's fine to have dissenting discussion. It's not okay to call people names.

It's also in antiperspirants.
Some scientists think that the aluminum in antiperspirant contributes to breast cancer, by mimicking carcinogenic hormones.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderator note: You can make your point without deliberately insulting people.
You ought to look through this thread and the entire forum for that matter. The fan boys are held to a much lower standard.

You ought to look through this thread and the entire forum for that matter. The fan boys are held to a much lower standard.

Please stop. You're dismissing people who disagree with you with a generic 'fan boy'. I happen to be a fan of Tesla, they've earned it from me. It doesn't mean I've lost my ability to apply critical thinking skills. The same goes for others here.

You will find a much better reception to a difference of opinion if you try reasoning, rather than insults. Don't make the mistake of thinking that being critical is the same as critical thinking. It's not.

And it is the most abundant element in Dirt. Many things are not good for you if you eat them! Come on, we are talking relative toxicity, which Aluminum is not very toxic.
Much like the automotive and petroleum industry reassured us that lead additives were relatively non-toxic.

Elevated levels of aluminum can cause DNA damage. Damaged DNA can be a causal factor for cancer.

Much like the automotive and petroleum industry reassured us that lead additives were relatively non-toxic.

Elevated levels of aluminum can cause DNA damage. Damaged DNA can be a causal factor for cancer.

Except we don't eat or inhale the batteries. At least, I'm not in the habit of eating my car.

You should be careful not to eat the tin cans your food comes in, either.

I don't use antiperspirants

I stopped using them 30 years ago when it was discovered that people with Alzheimer's has aluminum bundles in their brain. That has probably been disproven but I couldn't justify rubbing aluminum on sensitive and porous flesh. Funny thing is that I don't really perspire all that much even without antiperspirants.

To bring this back to the original topic, when I discuss this with naysayers I simply point out the toxicity of burning fossil fuels. If you close your garage and turn on your gas car, what happens? You die. Everyone knows this. So the emissions are deadly. Sure it is thinned because the atmosphere is large, however those deadly fumes are still being created. Drink gasoline and you die. Get oil on you daily and your risk of cancer goes up substantially. The wildlife around an oil spill usually end up dead. That stuff is happening daily. The regular folks are used to it and dismiss it as the payment for using a useful tool.

cellphones ..... They are much worse, but still harmless.
Not necessarily. Some statistics suggest that magnetic waves from cell phones can cause harm.

The magnetic field from a Tesla model S. can be much stronger.

Whether a magnetic field is harmful, beneficial or has no effect depends on the variables. Frequency, intensity, etc.

Not necessarily. Some statistics suggest that magnetic waves from cell phones can cause harm.

The magnetic field from a Tesla model S. can be much stronger.

Whether a magnetic field is harmful, beneficial or has no effect depends on the variables. Frequency, intensity, etc.

Fear mongering, plain and simple. Folks were worried about that at one time. Some of those same people who were worried here on the forum ran emissions tests on the Model S and your statement saying the Model S 'can be much stronger' is not supported.

If you believe it is, please state the source.

Except we don't eat or inhale the batteries.
Sounds like you're making similar arguments that the oil industry and automotive industry made about gasoline.

When batteries are breached their contents are introduced into the environment. The toxic materials from Tesla batteries are in our atmosphere, water supply and foodchain. The fact is we eat and inhale the toxic materials from Tesla batteries.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't argue with that, but lithium is synonymous with "heavy metal poisoning". Maybe it's one of those urban myth things.
Who said that lithium is a heavy metal?

Tesla lithium batteries contain several heavy metals.

Sounds like you're making similar arguments that the oil industry and automotive industry made about gasoline.

When batteries are breached their contents are introduced into the environment. The toxic materials from Tesla batteries are in our atmosphere, water supply and foodchain. The fact is we eat and inhale the toxic materials from Tesla batteries.

I have a Jeep Liberty and a Tesla Roadster parked in my garage. The garage floor under the Jeep seems relatively clean - until I look under the Roadster. Trust me, there is a lot more oil on the garage floor than battery drippings. (Not to mention the exhaust that is spewed forth every time I start the Jeep. Which soon will be never, once the X takes its place.)

This is how I respond and it works great, especially against Tesla haters, on pretty much any topic they use to attack the car:

Hater: "Those batteries you sit on cause cancer."
You: "Not true but I understand the resistance. When we went away from horse and buggy, a lot of people also made arguments against the internal combustion engine."

I just used it the other day when a Porsche driver told me he couldn't do without out the roar of the engine. My reply: "Yes, people missed the galloping of horses too." There was no comeback from him to that one.
Historically; some automotive advocates argued, that automobiles would reduce pollution. That didn't work out too well. One type of pollution was replaced with another.

- - - Updated - - -

Low levels of lithium in drinking water in fact appear to have positive effects.
While lithium might help some people with some types of mental disorders, it can do harm in other people, including healthy people.

Arsenic and mercury were some of the first antibiotics. It wouldn't be wise to take it just because them was beneficial for some people. Arsenic and mercury were some of the first antibiotics for VD.

Lithium is fairly benign compared to the other toxic materials in Tesla batteries.

- - - Updated - - -

Heated seats in any car are going to generate EMF just by the very nature of their design.
So do inverters, electrical motors, etc.

Some of the magnetic fields are so strong in the Tesla model S. that the affects sometimes can be heard.

Fear mongering, plain and simple. Folks were worried about that at one time. Some of those same people who were worried here on the forum ran emissions tests on the Model S and your statement saying the Model S 'can be much stronger' is not supported.

If you believe it is, please state the source.

Some of the magnetic fields are so strong in the Tesla model S. that the affects sometimes can be heard.

Hate to quote myself, but since you didn't respond & persist in your comments ... source?

No one is attacking you - unless you consider asking you a direct question to be an attack. I merely asked you your source (twice) for your (multiple) statements that the Tesla Model S puts out high levels ... since I've seen evidence that would say that's not so.

Do you have a source? Or is asking that considered an attack?