Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Hater just told me "Batteries Cause Cancer"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Historically; some automotive advocates argued, that automobiles would reduce pollution. That didn't work out too well. One type of pollution was replaced with another.

Speed Bird, the point of my argument had nothing to do with reducing pollution. It's absurd to argue that the internal combustion engine was less polluting than a horse and buggy. My point was that technology changes and the ICE for the daily commute is on its way out, just as the horse and buggy was replaced by the ICE. Get it?

As to all your other comments, they mean nothing since making things up such as: "Some of the magnetic fields are so strong in the Tesla model S. that the affects sometimes can be heard" is so absurd as to be laughable except that you seem to be serious. Bonnie asked you post a source for your made up fairy tales but to no ones surprise you simply ignored her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use antiperspirants

We know.

- - - Updated - - -

Not necessarily. Some statistics suggest that magnetic waves from cell phones can cause harm.

What is a magnetic wave? I've never heard of such a thing.

The magnetic field from a Tesla model S. can be much stronger.

But any magnetic field that may or may not exist does not come from the battery. Other people have measured the electromagnetic emissions and shown that they are quite small, even from the motor.

Whether a magnetic field is harmful, beneficial or has no effect depends on the variables. Frequency, intensity, etc.

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that wearing a magnetic bracelet is beneficial. Personally I don't believe it.

Go back and listen to the tesla blog about recycling of the batteries.
So instead of taking heed of scientists and facts; we are supposed to take the word of some lying blogger on a corporate website?

That would be like ignoring scientists warnings about cigarette smoke. Instead taking the word of tobacco corporations and medical professionals paid by cigarette corporations that assured us that smoking cigarettes was safe and healthy.

According to Tesla's blogs, Tesla's batteries are nontoxic. Yet according to Tesla's technical documents, Tesla's batteries are toxic.

You would rather have us believe salesman, then science and facts.

Last edited:
Many of the comments are trying to change the topic and make personal attacks to try to divert attention away from the fact that Tesla batteries contain toxic materials, some of which are carcinogenic.

Wow, you are so bright. And your point is what? That oil and gas and many other components of an ICE vehicle are not toxic or carcinogenic? Have you ever heard of how people commit suicide with an ICE? Well, that's impossible with a Tesla or Leaf. And if you think breathing those fumes in even small amounts is good for you, wait, you probably do... and that leaves aside climate change, which you probably think has nothing to do with burning excessive amounts of fossil fuels.

What is a magnetic wave? I've never heard of such a thing..
aka; radio waves.

You've never heard of radio waves aka electromagnetic waves? lol

But any magnetic field that may or may not exist does not come from the battery. Other people have measured the electromagnetic emissions and shown that they are quite small, even from the motor..

The source of power is from the Tesla battery. The electromagnetic emissions are often quite strong from the inverter and electric motor. That's one of the many reasons that they are often replaced. They are known for being noisy.

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that wearing a magnetic bracelet is beneficial. Personally I don't believe it.

I've been skeptical of the magnetic bracelets also.

But the fact remains that electromagnetic waves can range from beneficial to harmful depending on variables.

So instead of taking heed of scientists and facts; we are supposed to take the word of some lying blogger on a corporate website?

That would be like ignoring scientists warnings about cigarette smoke. Instead taking the word of tobacco corporations and medical professionals paid by cigarette corporations that assured us that smoking cigarettes was safe and healthy.

According to Tesla's blogs, Tesla's batteries are nontoxic. Yet according to Tesla's technical documents, Tesla's batteries are toxic.

You would rather have us believe salesman, then science and facts.

According to the State of California, just about everything I come in contact with is toxic. Prop 65. They have to label anything and everything. So does every other manufacturer.

The question, of course, is "are they introducing anything new, above and beyond current levels?". Is there a new risk because of the Model S? Or are you just stirring the pot over things that people are already dealing with daily and would continue to deal with, with or without the Model S in their lives?

(And of course I expect you to ignore that question, just like you have repeatedly ignored my question asking for the source for your clear statements that the Model S can have high emission levels.)

Tesla batteries contain hazardous chemicals and heavy metals that are thought to contribute to cancer and neurological disease.

A battery in good condition is relatively safe. However if they leak, catch fire, or explode and their disposal can be an environmental and health hazard.

Apparently if you drink the items under your sink used to clean the kitchen you can harm yourself. How can that be allowed to happen?! Those chemicals are kept near food!

Sorry for taking this in a weird direction but the discussion with Speed Bird really runs along discussions I've had with Jim567432. He doesn't acknowledge anything else except that batteries are toxic. There is no sense of perspective in comparison to anything else in the world. The computer that these comments are being typed on, including my own, generate electromagnetic waves and the computer is made from lots of toxic materials. If you can't put perspective on the larger picture then you get the single minded focus that cannot be argued with. There is plastic in a Model S too. That has a certain level of toxicity. Batteries are focused on here with no mention of the millions of lead acid batteries in regular cars? It will go round and round....

1986d1332082574-pocketesn-quickly-get-info-about-status-phones-esn-troll.jpg

Sounds like you're making similar arguments that the oil industry and automotive industry made about gasoline.

When batteries are breached their contents are introduced into the environment. The toxic materials from Tesla batteries are in our atmosphere, water supply and foodchain. The fact is we eat and inhale the toxic materials from Tesla batteries.

Gasoline burn products are spewed out the tailpipe of every ICE car in existence.

Batteries stay tucked safely inside the car except in rare cases of severe accident.

Claiming there's any equivalence of risk is ludicrous.

I am not finding a member by that name ...

I'm referring to this guy:

Super Troll Jim5437532 and his campaign against Tesla

He's gone so far as to create false NHTSA reports. The data for the false NHTSA reports was pulled from information he gathered here at TMC. While I was reading Speed Bird's posts I was getting the feeling I had when I was commenting with Jim5437532. It is tough to maintain that single minded focus to the exclusion of everything else. JMHO though.

Good point, and we all fell for it hook, line and sinker, which, to me, is the proper origin of the word "troll" when it comes to the internet. I don't see the relationship between (from Wikipedia) an ugly dwarf or giant that dates to 1610 and comes from the Old Norse word troll meaning giant or demon. In modern English usage, trolling describes the fishing technique of slowly dragging a lure or baited hook from a moving boat to catch an intended target, like all of us here who took the bait. So, in my opinion, this is more appropriate of a picture to use:

download (1).jpg

flashflood: I personally realized that I am severely allergic to benzene. It gives me major, massive headaches. Apparently a lot of the more popular perfumes, colognes, body sprays, and air fresheners that have a 'long lasting' tag have benzene as a primary component of their solution. I think it is being substituted for alcohol in numerous formulas. Unfortunately, people who like 'the smell' of particular perfumes become immune to it. They don't realize the stuff is every bit as strong several hours after application as it was when they first put it on. So they reapply it and end up killing me.
I'm allergic to corn, so I got to wondering if the headaches I get from corn are related to your headaches you get from benzene.