Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A very unpleasant surprise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
As folks may be aware I'm on my Canada hiking trip. About a week ago I charged the car to full in Revelstoke and then drove to Nakusp where I spent the night. In the morning I drove to the staging area near Burton, BC, where I left the car for a week to go up to a hiking lodge. There's no plug-in and no shade and the temperatures reached around 30 or 31 Celsius during the day. I left the car off and locked. I had a fabulous week of hiking. The car showed 312 km of range.

When I returned to the car a week later, I was aghast to see that I had 92 km of range remaining, with the nearest supercharger 140 km away in Revelstoke. I made it back to Nakusp, where there is a J1772 charger, but it required a card, which I don't have, and when I called the service number on the charger, it just put me on perpetual hold.

I phoned Tesla Roadside Assistance, where I asked what caused such an enormous drain, and what do I do now. The man said it was probably the car using power to keep the battery cool, though that seems awfully excessive. But after talking to his supervisor Tesla comped me a ride on a flatbed truck to Revelstoke, where I charged the car at the supercharger, which was so fast I was ready to continue on my trip before I'd even finished my lunch. They made it clear that this was a one-time-only deal, since I was unaware that the car would be so severely affected by the heat.

Ten stars for Tesla service.

This morning I called the service department and asked what would have happened if the car had remained a few more days. Would it have bricked itself? Can you just not leave these cars unplugged in hot weather? The man had no definite answer, but he thought the car should not have used so much juice, especially when the battery should be fine at 30 C. He suggested being especially careful about turning everything off. He also pushed the latest firmware version to me. I now have 2018.24.8. I hope that's not the one people have been reporting problems with. It includes automatic cabin cooling, which he warned me to turn off. And summon. And probably other stuff. I took a short drive to make sure the car still drives with the new firmware. In the three hours from 3:00 to 6:00 it didn't lose any range. So knock on wood <raps knuckles on head> that after my upcoming ten days at the next lodge the car is okay. At least this time I'll be less than five miles from the supercharger here.

Driving AP on the highway is a joy. Tesla service is outstanding. Not being able to park in the wilderness on a hot day is a big disappointment.

Teslas are the only EVs that suffer from this drain. Hopefully they address, or at least justify why they do it.

Not so fast. I know a few other brand EV owners that suffer Vampire Drain. Tesla has superb BMS that keep the batter in much better shape than other name plates I am aware of. I kind of need my car to go for many years.

OP: Did you have any of the things he mentioned to turn off on? My car pre 2018.26.1 62e5afa had very little of drain even in 5 or six days of parking hot sun. I would be interested to see if there is any follow up from Tesla regarding the issue.

My car is currently parked in the shade in a parking garage, not plugged in.
Brand new model 3, delivered last week, not using any third party service.
I am monitoring the battery charge from the app every night this week while away, not connecting to the car the rest of the day for any reason.
Every night, I see the car lost 8-10 miles from the night before.
It won't be a problem for this trip, but I am a bit concerned for future trips where losing so much charge every day could be a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe and jsmay311
Not so fast. I know a few other brand EV owners that suffer Vampire Drain. Tesla has superb BMS that keep the batter in much better shape than other name plates I am aware of. I kind of need my car to go for many years.
Which vehicles?

OP: Thanks for confirming my suspicions regarding leaving the Model 3, or any EV, while one hikes/camps. Looks like one has to plan out drain in ones range calcs.

Reactions: fr100
When I first got my Model 3 on the 3rd I could see it have to "top itself off" multiple times each night (I have a Sense home energy monitor). Seemed like crazy power draw.

But then I got a software update and I think that is when it stopped doing that. So I am guessing the original firmware 21.9 had some issues. I then got 24.1 and now 26.1.

At first apparently there was some issue with the software download which caused me to not get 24.1, but after multiple calls to Tesla tech support they got it pushed out. 26.1 came very quickly after 24.1 (that too may have been manually pushed out due to other issues).

Last edited:
Which vehicles?

Dreaded Vampire Drain Returns - My Nissan Leaf Forum

Volt also had the issue. Transport mode was created.

Bolt does not the issue that I am aware of. Hard cut on power if I recall.

The OP didn't have cabin heat update yet installed, yet was still on a newer update with many of the drain issues fixed.

Has the charge port door been replaced? Ever notice a very faint clicking?

I ask only because I am doing the drain testing for a 10 day away from charging for a backpacking trip, and am trying to disable the car and not mess with it for 5 days vs going via app and waking up car.

Also car will out of cell service. Maybe searching for cell service causes drain??

I have a '15 and a '17 Model S. The ambient temperature during most of the day where I live is > 40 C. At night mid to high 30s. As long as cabin overheat protection and smart preconditioning is off, has no impact on vampire drain. They both lose 1% charge in 24 hours.

Arg, I was gonna make some snappish comment about how at least its 40 degrees dry heat, but on checking the weather its actually fairly humid with 50% humidity. o_O

Anyway, how does the interior hold up during 40 degrees+? My old E46 used to get all sorts of issues i.e. the interior trim melting off.

I’ve had my model 3 (extended battery) for only 4 days. I haven’t had it plugged in since I’m waiting for the installation of my wall charger. I’ve driven only 89 miles yet my battery says that I have 119 miles left of charge. Does it lose charge that quickly just sitting? Thanks

Bolt does not the issue that I am aware of. Hard cut on power if I recall.

The OP didn't have cabin heat update yet installed, yet was still on a newer update with many of the drain issues fixed.

Has the charge port door been replaced? Ever notice a very faint clicking?

I ask only because I am doing the drain testing for a 10 day away from charging for a backpacking trip, and am trying to disable the car and not mess with it for 5 days vs going via app and waking up car.

Also car will out of cell service. Maybe searching for cell service causes drain??

Bolt has battery conditioning drain as well. Most other EV's do also. Exception: Leaf, e Golf and you don't want their lack of battery longevity. Most all others protect their batteries against temperature extremes. The cars with the best protection have liquid cooling. The cabin air cooled cars are not doing well in hot climates.

Last edited:
Bolt has battery conditioning drain as well. Most other EV's do also. Exception: Leaf, e Golf and you don't want their lack of battery longevity. Most all others protect their batteries against temperature extremes. The cars the best protected have liquid cooling. The cabin air cooled cars are not doing well in hot climates.
So this is normal? I’ll plug it in at night when I get my wall connector installed.

So this is normal? I’ll plug it in at night when I get my wall connector installed.
Yes, normal. The battery has a lot of capacity so unless you need it all, a loss of 3-10 miles a night barely matters. Others have made suggestions how to have the least amount of drain. Apps that constantly poll your car will add to the drain.

Last edited:

Oh please. Trying to excuse Tesla's widespread and systemic problems (which Tesla describe as "normal") by pointing to other EVs that rarely have problems (and the automakers work to fix those problems in individual vehicles precisely because they're not systemic) is nonsensical.

That Leaf forum thread you linked to is 4 years old and contains all of 4 posts. This TMC thread on Model 3 vampire drain has racked up 396 posts in 6 months.

And I'm a Volt owner and I've followed Volt forums closely for years. There is no significant or widespread vampire drain in Volts (or at least nothing anywhere near comparable to Tesla).

Also turn off Always Connected and enable Energy Saving.

Has an "Energy Saving" mode been recently added in a software update?

Last I'd heard, the Model 3 still had no such mode (despite it being referenced in an early version of the Model 3 manual, but later removed).

Last edited: