Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aberdeenshire charging costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aberdeenshire Council confirmed today that they will abolish free EV charging on 4th January 2021 and replace it with a 21p/KwH charge. Their public car park charging will also be reinstated on the same day. Businesses are lobbying against these new charges but I doubt if it will have any effect!

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Medved_77
Thanks for the heads up Tony. I wonder just how many charging points will be servisable at that time? I'm having to go to Alford to charge as the Inverurie Rapid ones are either U/S or unreliable and Oldmeldrum, despite having the appearance of being ready since June has not been switched on as far as I know. Last time I was in Peterhead I couldn't get a charge and the Ellon one was playing up.

Fraserburgh one is temperamental on CCS, it does work on the odd occasion but your usually better to charge on AC to save tearing your hair out. There is a new charger at the bus station but it has been sitting for months without any action. Ellon Park & Ride charged no problem on CCS last night.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I keep hoping that the 'under construction' superchargers going are going to be in operation before the "5 days royal rumble" at Christmas. At the moment does feel like it's a bit of a pandoras box without having AC/Home charging to hand.

You wonder if at some point per hour prices will just jump up to match Petrol/Diesel "£1 for that kilowatt please" - wouldn't put it past the councillors.

Aberdeenshire Council confirmed today that they will abolish free EV charging on 4th January 2021 and replace it with a 21p/KwH charge. Their public car park charging will also be reinstated on the same day. Businesses are lobbying against these new charges but I doubt if it will have any effect!
I'm glad they decided a flat fee per kWh and not a fee plus a connection charge as Fife did. That means at least if the charge does fail you won't be charged for reconnection attempts.

Given the charging structure is council led, does this mean we'll need to be aware of potentially 32 different rates when using CPS?

Reactions: exlatccatsa
The chargers on Deeside are pretty good - I regularly charge in Banchory where there are 4 x 22Kw (2 in the main car park and 2 at the sports complex) and I have never had a problem. Similarly in Ballater (2 x 22Kw). My son tells me there are a couple of recently installed chargers in Aboyne as well, as the original ones were unreliable, especially the 50Kw unit. Also a couple of destination chargers around but only the usual 7Kw.