Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About dropping your MX back at dealership for tweaks after being delivered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read too many posts now about having to drop the car back at the dealership after delivery due to some imperfections/issues (either minor or major) found during the first few days of ownership that need fixed. It kind of makes me a bit paranoid now that whenever I take delivery of my car (December) I’ll found all
kind of issues and I’ll be disappointed to have to give it back for a while. Anyone has a rough idea on how common/annoying this issue is?
Thanks.

I have read too many posts now about having to drop the car back at the dealership after delivery due to some imperfections/issues (either minor or major) found during the first few days of ownership that need fixed. It kind of makes me a bit paranoid now that whenever I take delivery of my car (December) I’ll found all
kind of issues and I’ll be disappointed to have to give it back for a while. Anyone has a rough idea on how common/annoying this issue is?
Thanks.
Most of us did not have issues. People are more likely to post when they have problems - either to vent or solicit community feedback. I don't usually post in those threads, for instance, because it's not helpful to the OP to hear 'well I didn't have any issues'.

There's a reason there are so many 2 (or more) Tesla families. :)

Thanks.
My car has been back to the shop a number of times, but not for "sample defects". A number of systems have failed and major parts have been replaced. In a couple of cases several trips were needed to find a fix. However, Tesla Service has been diligent to solve my problems.

Picked up mine 10/19, dropped it off yesterday for the following issues.

*Easy access for rear 60% portion does not work.
*Middle seat rail center cover broken.
*A Pillar driver side Installed incorrectly.
* Rear passenger side, rear wheel cover damaged (interior cover).
*Driver side mirror vibrates at high speeds.
*Front passenger side door wont open.
*Rear passenger falcon door missaligment.
*Missing 2nd key fob at delivery.
*Missing sunshade at delivery.
*Missing Tow PKG at delivery.
*Missing 110V adapter for charging cable.
*Iphone charger missing at delivery.
*Front license plate bracket missing at delivery.
*Tow hook missing.

Still love the X thus far

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
Hey, for all of those missing things (sunshade, tow pkg, 100v adapter, etc.), did you mention those at delivery or just let them know after the fact?

I'm picking up my car tomorrow morning and I'm going in with the assumption that that stuff will probably be missing for me as well.

Wow, I feel like I got off easy now, but I'm still disappointed that there were any issues at all. I picked up my Model X today and had the following issues at delivery:
  • Trim plate missing from face of rear seat pop-out cupholder
  • XM radio option not visible on media screen
  • Missing tow package (8/2017 production, so it should have had it)
  • Missing iPhone charger
  • No key fob holders/lanyards (DS says that they ran out and they're backordered, I just ordered one of the Abstract Ocean FobPockets from Amazon)
  • No Pennsylvania state inspection sticker (DS says that they can't issue inspection stickers due to PA law, I have to take it to a mechanic and get it inspected, but they'll pay for the inspection)
The cupholder trim plate was installed by one of the service techs before I left with the car. Service had to consult with Tesla engineering to determine why the XM radio option was set to "off" in the car. Later in the day they were able to activate it remotely, but the radio doesn't work (very weak signal) and they said it was possible the antenna hadn't been installed properly, so it will have to go back to the SC for that. iPhone charger was just an oversight -- the DS mentioned it at the start of the delivery but then we got sidetracked with the other issues.

To their credit, the DS offered to come to my house or office to install the phone charger tomorrow, and they've said they'll come out and pick up the car if it needs to go back to the SC for the XM radio or tow package. None of these are showstoppers (I miss my satellite radio but I'll survive until they get it working), but I agree with others who have said that it's below par for a luxury car. Buyers shouldn't need 5-page checklists, this is something the DS should be doing before the delivery appointment.

i took delivery last week. My car was built in 8/2017.

I was also missing:
  • tow package
  • iphone charger (don't know what this is but it's not there)
AFAIK, everything else is fine. I got the tow hook, sunshade, front license plate, 2 keys, etc.

I just got off the phone w/ my local service center. They said that the tow package is a special order and will probably take a month or two to get here.

It's a bit inconvenient because I picked up the car in CA and am planning to drive it up to WA in a couple of weeks and have a few bikes to transport so I was going to use my bike rack but I guess I'll need to put the bikes into the back of the car instead and get the tow package done in WA.

i took delivery last week. My car was built in 8/2017.

I was also missing:
  • tow package
  • iphone charger (don't know what this is but it's not there)
AFAIK, everything else is fine. I got the tow hook, sunshade, front license plate, 2 keys, etc.

The iPhone charger is an accessory that turns part of the center console into a phone dock. I believe it's supposed to be included in the PUP.

Following up on my experience:
  • The XM radio problem is due to the fact that the factory didn't install the XM antenna when they built the car. They've ordered an XM antenna and cable and will be installing it tomorrow when it arrives.
  • According to the sales manager, my car was already in production when the tow package was added to the standard equipment list, and inventory cars are considered "sold as built" unlike a custom order, so I'm not entitled to it. However, as a goodwill gesture, he's going to give it to me anyway. They have one in stock and installed it today.
  • The iPhone charger was installed yesterday while they were diagnosing the XM radio issue.
I'm supposed to get the car back at the end of the day tomorrow with all issues resolved. While it's been at the SC for the past two days, I've had a Model X 100D loaner with ~3k miles on it. They dropped off the loaner at my house Tuesday morning and will pick it up tomorrow night (Thursday). So overall this has been about as painless of an experience as I could have asked for. Big kudos to the Pittsburgh/Wexford Tesla service center for turning what could have been a negative experience into a positive one!

Picked up mine 10/19, dropped it off yesterday for the following issues.

*Easy access for rear 60% portion does not work.
*Middle seat rail center cover broken.
*A Pillar driver side Installed incorrectly.
* Rear passenger side, rear wheel cover damaged (interior cover).
*Driver side mirror vibrates at high speeds.
*Front passenger side door wont open.
*Rear passenger falcon door missaligment.
*Missing 2nd key fob at delivery.
*Missing sunshade at delivery.
*Missing Tow PKG at delivery.
*Missing 110V adapter for charging cable.
*Iphone charger missing at delivery.
*Front license plate bracket missing at delivery.
*Tow hook missing.

Still love the X thus far

Picked mine yesterday after 2 weeks, looks perfect and fixed almost all issues. The rear seat needs to be replaced, no in stock and will call once available, same with the towing pkg

When I push the button on the second row seat it folds a little bit and usually slides forward but sometimes locks in place so it doesn't slide forward. Usually if I push the button again and fiddle with it and bring it up and try again I can usually get it to work ok.

One time my wife was in the third row she wanted to come out and I wanted to just push the button to get the second row seat to tilt a bit with the baby seat there but the second row seat wouldn't do anything so sure just stayed in the third row