Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you familiar with Steve Jobs and his famous keynotes? He always said "one more thing" at the end, and the "one more thing" was much bigger than the headline event. So much so, that the "one more thing" was actually the news worthy item. The same is true here. The "something else" alluded to by Elon is going to be bigger than the D announcement. The something else, given that Model X sig holders are receiving an invite, is clearly relating to the Model X. The event is being held at an airport, so I'm sure this will involve driving demos. Model X is probably farther along than any of us know.

You don't invite Model X sig reservation holders across the country to try and sell them an AWD Model S. That is going to piss off the people you invited. The D is actually going to be the least important aspect of this news conference.

I believe my post said "I think", so the answer to your question is yes. The cost of production is falling as is the cost of batteries. Many of the P85+ suspension components have already been silently integrated into the less expensive P85. Seems like the logical path if Tesla can hold its margins.

What Tesla does not want to do, in my humble opinion, is announce a $150,000 super car. The media spin will be terrible. Tesla is trying to get to an affordable vehicle, so it would make no sense to launch an even more expensive Model S variant. Again, just my opinion. I think if there is an added cost for the AWD, it will be small.

Well, I agree and it's not going to be a supercar, even if it might just be an option initially on the P85 that will boost performance. Model S AWD with near immediate availability and the reveal of the Model X Beta. The point is that Tesla's launching AWD and that enables the X.

I'll say it again: AWD. BEV. AWD BEV. Nobody else is doing it. This is another big step towards mainstreaming BEV and I'm really excited. I really hope the incremental cost will be small, with the cost of power split across the two motors and range boosted through different reduction gearing.

AWD is awesome but I'd still like to see in-wheel motor drive as demonstrated on the Rimac Concept_One and Mercedes Electric SLS vehicles. I think in-wheel motor drive is pretty much restricted to performance vehicles, though, so don't expect to see Tesla do it soon (maybe for a Roadster II?)

My guess - like the BMW - M series, Audi R series, MB - AMG, the 'D' (stands for Dynamo - get it?) is going to be the supercar performance version of the MS. It will be dual motor, sub 4.0 0-60 mph, and be tricked out with air dams, lots of wide rubber and other cool goodies. BTW -who needs side mirrors when everyone else is way behind you? And the something else is a re-introduced Roadster. (probably proto Model X but I'm hoping)

I speculated it stands for Daytona. A year or so ago, Leilani and Tesla were working on a secret project. What could it have been? A super Model S, of course, designed to blow away everything on the track. Since Leilani is a Daytona car racing vegetarian hippie chick, it could be the end result of that project.

Why not? Indeed.

AWD is awesome but I'd still like to see in-wheel motor drive as demonstrated on the Rimac Concept_One and Mercedes Electric SLS vehicles. I think in-wheel motor drive is pretty much restricted to performance vehicles, though, so don't expect to see Tesla do it soon (maybe for a Roadster II?)

And my understanding is that road cars don't use in wheel motors because of the unsprung weight problems with suspension.

This is obviously a pun in the direction of the late Steve Jobs.
The D is for Dual-drive, and "the other letter" is the X Beta. Far to many fan and press invites for it NOT to be the X. And some sensor tech. thrown in for good measure.
This is Elon style !

+1 for all your observations and conclusions, although I suspect Elon will not address the new ACC stalk and (apparent) radar on the MS unless specifically asked.

I speculated it stands for Daytona. A year or so ago, Leilani and Tesla were working on a secret project. What could it have been? A super Model S, of course, designed to blow away everything on the track. Since Leilani is a Daytona car racing vegetarian hippie chick, it could be the end result of that project.

Why not? Indeed.

Good call .... that's right !!!!!

Neither of the above cars use an in-wheel motor. What they and the C-X75 and a few other do have is one motor per wheel, mounted inboard on the frame and driving the wheel through a conventional half-shaft.

I do think that one motor per wheel is the future - initially for supercars, eventually for everything else.

Not only does it provide the ultimate all wheel drive and traction control, but it also allows dynamic handling adjustments as Honda is exploring in the RLX Hybrid (individual small motors for the rear wheels,) as well as allowing stability control by adding power as well as/instead of subtracting power and regenerative braking with ABS control for low traction environments.
Walter

It may just be the angle, but did you guys notice that you can't see the side view mirrors? You think they are gone with driver assistance sensors or driverless capabilities?

No, there is still a shadow of the mirror on the ground, it's just the close up angle.

And Tesla has already branded the autonomous car as "Autopilot", so they wouldn't badge anything like that with a "D".

Tesla to show Model 3, new sedan version Oct. 9: report

MARKETWATCH 1:41 PM ET 10/3/14
Tesla Motors Inc.(TSLA) will unveil its Model 3, the mass-market car, and new versions of the Model S sedan at the event Oct. 9, analyst Trip Chowdhry withGlobal Equities Research said in a note Friday. It is no coincidence the event is to take place in the Los Angeles area rather the San Francisco Bay Area, where the electric-car maker is headquartered: Tesla's top designer "spends almost 90% of this time in the LA Design Center," Chowdhry said. Tesla earlier Friday said the event was scheduled for 7 p.m. at theHawthorne airport. By showing a Model 3 prototype Tesla is also hoping to garner more attention from potential "gigafactory" investors, he added. The new Model S versions would have all-wheel drive and semi-autonomous driver-assistance system, which would be positive for car technology company MobileEye Technologies

Tesla to show Model 3, new sedan version Oct. 9: report - MarketWatch

Its called #InsiderTrading (Although not really). I assume he/his friend at least made ton of money picking up calls around the $240 area.

I won't obfuscate; I'll just refuse to answer. There has been a lot of speculation as to who I am and my motives, so I'll try to address some of it...

The photograph I posted is real, unedited, and uncropped; the EXIF information is also unedited. Mostly because I didn't want to waste my time doing anything to it (it did occur to me to strip the EXIF)! It is also Copyright, and the many organizations who have posted all over the web are infringing on that copyright. I've tracked a lot of them down and asked them to remove it. I work part time as a photographer, and don't take lightly to people infringing on my copyrights.

I've made a ton of money on Tesla stock, as a result of buying a lot at the IPO (Roadster owners were offered "friends-of-the-company" shares at the IPO price. I asked for, and received, an additional allocation). No "insider" trading on this photograph; I haven't changed my position in TSLA since the IPO, and the photographer-friend doesn't, and hasn't, owned any TSLA.

I'm not a shill. Although I'm "close" to a number of people at Tesla, I did not post this photograph here with their permission or even advance knowledge. I held onto it for a few weeks because I didn't want to ruin Elon's surprise, but all this photograph does it connect the letter "D" to the Model S, which Elon already did in his blog post. That this car represents an AWD model is other people's speculation. Personally, if I was doing a photo-shoot of some future Model S, I would have just badged a regular car, so MY speculation is that is what we're seeing here.

I'm a real person, although I don't have a lot of time to particulate in this forum, I'm sure that there are plenty here who can speak to my integrity. I've been an EV driver and evangelist since 1998 and my newish RAV4-EV is the 12th EV in my family (right now we have four EVs, including tzero2, two Teslas, and the 2012 RAV4-EV). You've likely seen some of my other photography, either on my web site http://www.cacoast.org/ or in Who Killed the Electric Car (I took the aerial still photographs of the EV1 graveyard).

Ken