Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't invite Model X sig reservation holders across the country to try and sell them an AWD Model S. That is going to piss off the people you invited. The D is actually going to be the least important aspect of this news conference. ...

Amen. They have absolutely no business announcing anything substantially new, without it being in conjunction with the Model X announcement. Some of these folks have had $40K on ice for over two years! It's unimaginable that you would have them trek to an announcement just to show them something else.

Maybe they show, on big video screens, the one at Inyokern blasting down that runway. A lot less busy than Hawthorne.
That's a good point. I like that idea the more I think about it:

• IYK has 1/3 the traffic of HHR (78 flight ops/day vs 220).
  • IYK has 3 runways (2 are longer than HHR's). Under the right weather conditions, you could close one without impacting flight operations.
  • 2/20 and 15/33 do intersect, but at the end, giving plenty of runway to work with without runway incursions.
  • The car has been at IYK; this would explain why.
But here's the most interesting tidbit:

A search of past NOTAM's for IYK shows this gem: "!IYK 09/001 IYK RWY 10/28 CLSD 1409191500-1409210300"

Translation, runway 10/28 (the short one, 4150 feet) was closed from 8am PDT on Fri 9/19 (the morning "the picture" was taken) to 8PM PDT on Sat 9/20.

Speculate away...

2014ModelP85D.jpg

Apparently there are others.....

What Tesla does not want to do, in my humble opinion, is announce a $150,000 super car. The media spin will be terrible. Tesla is trying to get to an affordable vehicle, so it would make no sense to launch an even more expensive Model S variant. Again, just my opinion. I think if there is an added cost for the AWD, it will be small.
I agree with your whole post, but especially this point. The MS already has a rap as a 1%'ers car. If they want to be seen as building an "EV for everyone", showing a 0.1%'ers car doesn't necessarily offer good PR (even if it out accelerates a Bugatti Veyron for 1/10'th the price).

Tesla has plenty of cash on hand, good cash flow (arguably buoyed by sales of expensive stock), and sells every car they build. Building a few dozen supercars that a few million to the bottom line barely moves their financial needle.

What Tesla does not want to do, in my humble opinion, is announce a $150,000 super car. The media spin will be terrible. Tesla is trying to get to an affordable vehicle, so it would make no sense to launch an even more expensive Model S variant. Again, just my opinion. I think if there is an added cost for the AWD, it will be small.

Agreed. My prediction is that we will see an AWD S85 and an AWD P85 announced. I think there's too many people who deal with inclement weather who have held off on RWD Model S who would jump at an "85D" with a small incremental cost over the current S85.