Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Just heard an interesting news bit on the radio...a company is going to reveal the first flying car at the end of this month. Apparently the car wings fold into the back seat so you car park it. It is just a 2 seater. And it is an electric flying car.
Now I don't think that Tesla is doing this, nor do I think it would be shown tomorrow...but the event is at an airfield...
I'll let the conspiracy theorists take it from here.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Hmm. Just heard an interesting news bit on the radio...a company is going to reveal the first flying car at the end of this month. Apparently the car wings fold into the back seat so you car park it. It is just a 2 seater. And it is an electric flying car.
Now I don't think that Tesla is doing this, nor do I think it would be shown tomorrow...but the event is at an airfield...

Can't wait for tomorrow.
Add fuel. JB first career was working on electric plane

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, considering the 0 - 124 mph time of the Veyron (6.7 seconds) that doesn't seem a very likely scenario :wink:
Can it get to 124 mph without running out of gas

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Maybe this? "..a fixed wing street-legal aircraft with electric ground drive and electric power assist on takeoff and landing...Development is expected to last 8-12 years."
Terrafugia TF-X

cadtfx.jpg

IMO all these problems could be easily solved. We should remember that electric motors have a faster reaction to software commands and the two motors can easily work well together IMO. Maybe that the sprint to 60 mph could also be raised a little bit (3 sec is scary :scared:) to maybe 3.5 sec. giving better chances to make the two motors work well together.

I don't know about "easily". That sounds to me like an engineering problem that would be challenging but solvable.

Elon and Tesla must have known that there would be a TFR due to the DNC fundraiser. Obama and Biden are attending....... I did not get my invitation :tongue:

Actually HHR is in area B I believe that still allows IFR and VFR flight plan arrivals and departures.

Believe me, I studied this carefully because I have been considering flying my Twin-ICE into Hawthorne and walking over to the event. I beg to differ with your analysis.

Look at the graphic below from the FAA TFR Web Site, TFR Data Elements. The text of the TFR discusses "aircraft operations within the 10 and/or 8 NMR area(s)" The 10 Nautical Mile Radius circle centered just north of the Santa Monica Airport is the "Area C" in the TFR and applies from "From October 09, 2014 at 2015 UTC (October 09, 2014 at 1315 PDT) to October 10, 2014 at 1945 UTC (October 10, 2014 at 1245 PDT)," or when the Tesla Event is happening. That 10 NMR circle covers the Hawthorne Airport just inside the southeast edge.
Hawthorne-Obama.jpg

Here is the text from 4/4241 NOTAM Details that describes what can be done in that 10 NMR area at the time of the event:

A. All aircraft operations within the 10 and/or 8 NMR area(s) listed above, known as the inner core(s), are prohibited except for: Approved law enforcement, military aircraft directly supporting the United States Secret Service (USSS) and the office of the President of the United States, approved air ambulance flights, and regularly scheduled commercial passenger and all-cargo carriers operating under one of the following TSA-Approved standard security programs/procedures: aircraft operator standard security program (AOSSP), full all-cargo aircraft operator standard security program (FACAOSSP), model security program (MSP), twelve five standard security program (TFSSP) all cargo, or all-cargo international security procedure (ACISP) and are arriving into and/or departing from 14 cfr part 139 airports. All emergency/life saving flight (medical/law enforcement/firefighting) operations must coordinate with ATC prior to their departure at 858-537-5900 to avoid potential delays.

We will be attending the Tesla event in Hawthorne tomorrow! We are Sig X res #853. We can't wait! We will be driving down I5 from Grass Valley, CA. This will be our first trip to LA in our MS85. Our question is can we make a round trip from Tejon SC to Hawthorne and back to Tejon SC on one full charge? Thanks for your input. We look forward to an awesome event!

That would be great can't help but think back on 400 mile roadster pack before end of year. There in no room in roadster for larger or more batteries. Must be higher energy density somehow. Could this be true for the model s or x?

I think so. Introducing a new battery size would be a significant step change that interrupts customer orders and causes some unhappiness if an owner "just missed it", so it would make sense to do that concurrently with a new dual motor version.

I wonder if Elon will spill the beans at Vanity Fair tonight. He's being interviewed by Walter Isaacson (of steve jobs' biography fame recently) Vanity Fair - New Establishment Summit - and we know the excited geek Elon is can't hold exciting things back if they nudge him enough lol