Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to commit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a quote from a new york company that wasn't totally insane. Using the same equipment as Tesla.

They are 20% more then Tesla and I offered 10% more. I feel much more comfortable with a local company. Also my neighbor successfully used them so that helps peace of mind.

I'm finding the process fun and easy so far. I understand the basics and most of the people I've dealt with have been easy.

The one thing I am finding it hard to get my head around is the accuracy of their production numbers. I am getting a larger system 18.36kwh and apparently I have a 5 year payback. I find that somewhat unbelievable.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The one thing I am finding it hard to get my head around is the accuracy of their production numbers. I am getting a larger system 18.36kwh and apparently I have a 5 year payback. I find that somewhat unbelievable.

You can use PVWatts Calculator to estimate your production if you have an idea of where your panels might be positioned (each section of roof has to be entered individually.) Just based on the overall size, I would guess (with a big margin of error) something in the general area of 20 MWh of production annually - less if there are a lot of north-facing panels. Multiply that by your electric rates and you can estimate what you should could save annually.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ampster
Great thread, thanks for documenting the process so people have accurate expectations.

Just want to clarify a bit on why Tesla is cheap, it also relates to why their service isn't great today. They eliminated the 1-to-1 sales process that literally every other installer uses to acquire customers, and now rely exclusively on online sales. This is absolutely the right way to go, but temporarily they've thrown the baby out with the bath water.

In the solar world service is handled by the sales team, because sales is essentially the entire operation at most installers. That's why Tesla is so cheap, other installers have to pay sales cost of around $.35-1.15/Watt just to acquire customers. Organizations like Sunrun can be even more in certain markets. Tesla doesn't have to pay all that sales cost so they can afford to charge $2.01/Watt TOTAL and still almost break even. Everyone else charges $2.75 - $3.75/Watt and is losing money.

Unfortunately that's left potential Tesla customers without the little bit of service that would help things along and not cause too much. I feel pretty confident they'll rectify this in 2021 and we won't have to warn people about the need to project manage their own installs!

I had similar concerns as OP when I got my Tesla panels quote. It was significantly less than the 3 competitors I spoke with.
It took a little longer than I had hopes, but there were delays, not from Tesla, but from City and HOA sign offs. Final inspection was also delayed as the City was short staffed due to Covid.

All in all an extended, but painless process, and the panels are now functioning on my roof.

I was told by couple Tesla guys that they have been slammed with all the orders, since they lowered their pricing.

Reactions: preilly44
The one issue that was not discussed was the capacity of the main service panel and whether it could handle a 18kW system. Somewhere else the OP mentioned that he is considering a new heat pump system. Coordinating the planning of those installations might lessen the impact that a new service panel would have on the project.

18 KW is only 75 Amps at 240V..
How does backfeeding 75 Amps into a 200 Amp panel affect the loading of the busbars? I know the concept and that the main breaker would have to be reduced if the sum of the other breakers were in excess of 165 Amps using the 120% rule. I am rusty on the exact details of the rule and wanted to make sure someone did not make the assumption that it would be okay without doing the calculation. We can't assume he has a 200 Amp panel either.

Last edited:
the main breaker would have to be reduced if the sum of the other breakers were in excess of 165 Amps using the 120% rule.
I am not even sure that is the correct interpretation of the rule. Other research suggests that the maximum allowable back feeding of a 200 Amp panel is 40 Amps. Again my point is that an expert should be consulted before making assumptions.