Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

about to order Model Y please help re cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as the title says, just test drove a model Y and about to order, I know I will need to instal a home charger but what are the costs to 'fill it up' - I suspect my electricity charge will be around 21p per KW from April - my maths tells me that about £16 to charge battery from empty to full and therefore get hopefully 300miles for that. I understand temperature etc will effect range but just trying to work our potential savings switching from ICE ?

You might get 300 on a gentle drive in summer but work on 270 average since you will no doubt do some short journeys in winter as well.also add 30% for charger loss preheat etc which would be £21 for 270 miles or 7.7p per .mile

Most ev owners use off-peak rates though like octopus go.i pay 4.5p per Kwh to charge. You won't get that now and neither will I soon but they still do 7.5p if you can get on at all.

You calculation is flawed because it doesn't take into account charging losses. For example my car has averaged 265 wh/mile but has consumed 1470 kwh over 4311 miles driven = 341 wh/m.
So at 21p/kw it would cost 7.1p/mile driven and not 265 wh/mile x .21p = 5.6p/mile using your calculation.
For reference, a petrol car that does 45 mpg costs ~14p/mile to run and my car using Octopus GO cost 1.7p/mile...

Last edited:
According to my TezLab app my most recent charge added 154.3 miles at a calculated a cost of £7.81 based on a unit charge electricity cost of 21p. I reckon that’s around 35% of the cost of a 45mins ICE vehicle. Hope that helps.

well, i did similar maths before ordering.
Nissan Qashqai with 1.3l petrol engine.
to fill my tank it cost, currently, ~70 gbp. With this amount of cash splashed I can make ~550 miles on motorway if I am lucky (so 13p per mile) or 350 on mix urban/sub-urban (so 20p per mile).

If I need to charge 70 kWh with expensive (aghm) average tariff of 20p per kWh, then it cost 14 GBP.
If I can make 200 miles - it is 7 p per mile
If I can make 250 miles - it is 5.6 p per mile
If I can make 300 miles - it is 4.6 p per mile

This figure does not take into account any free electricity you can get at work or at some other places, nor it takes SC into account. But 20p is kinda expensive tariff (oh the times we live in....)

So to conclude:
- petrol: between 13 and 20p per mile
- EV: between <4.6 and 7 p per mile
- cost per miles in EV can be even lower if you can charge cheaper than 20p per kWh

Reactions: Campi
If the press is to be believed, then electricity prices will go up 45% this year and the best around here is 26p/kwh. Whether petrol will surge too may depend on public opinion. We'll all be down to slow charging only when the sun shines and getting the commuting clogs out.

thanks all, ive ordered and expect delivery in March ! - already factored in Insurance costs and will now look at on off peak energy deal to help - any other tips for a first time EV driver welcomed ...

its got to be cheaper than my landrover its replacing ?

thanks all, ive ordered and expect delivery in March ! - already factored in Insurance costs and will now look at on off peak energy deal to help - any other tips for a first time EV driver welcomed ...

its got to be cheaper than my landrover its replacing ?
at SC remember - charge only enough to reach your destination home where slower but times cheaper charger awaits :D

great forum and thanks again for help - Yessuz agree hate paying the extra £335 tax each year !- also i have ordered the tessla home charger V3 - any idea on cost to fit, i have a garage and drive and the electric meter is on an external wall in the garage so assume its not a difficult job ?

great forum and thanks again for help - Yessuz agree hate paying the extra £335 tax each year !- also i have ordered the tessla home charger V3 - any idea on cost to fit, i have a garage and drive and the electric meter is on an external wall in the garage so assume its not a difficult job ?
Installation of the Pod-Point (which I had from previous property) with quite long cable around quarter of the house, cost me around 350 a year ago.

There's pinned thread regarding installations

If the press is to be believed, then electricity prices will go up 45% this year and the best around here is 26p/kwh. Whether petrol will surge too may depend on public opinion. We'll all be down to slow charging only when the sun shines and getting the commuting clogs out.

Reading the winter '22 'Investment Times' from Hargreaves lansdown, and in-particular the very depressing article 'What Resource Scarcity' will be under no illusion that future pricing on Fossil Fuels will only go northwards as pressure builds to keep them safely in the ground. Sure, the cost of all enery is set to rise, but fossil fuels will be especially badly hit.

Spanish