Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger, but need some quick advice, 85 or P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very good price. Very good. Outside the miles or period for when you get can get the 4 year extended service agreement, so you will be paying for any repairs. But very good price. I'd recommend it.
That green paint is rare. That makes it unique.

I just went through the same dilemma abolition choosing a CPO 85 or P85. In my case, I found a 2013 P85 with a 4 yr warranty which allowed me to have peace of mind especially I'm a new ev owner. My deal isn't as great as yours at $47500 but again the extra warranty is what sold me. I'm super excited as well.

We have a late 2012 S P85.

I agree the OP made the right decision in going for the P85 over the 85.

Unlike the new P cars, the P85 has the same range as an 85, and comes with the faster acceleration (0-60 in 4.2 seconds), which is the same acceleration as our new S 100D. While that acceleration is faster than what is needed for normal driving, it's comforting to know that it's there, just in case you ever need it.

The other feature differences between the early production P85 and 85 models - you get the spoiler plus there were some interior upgrades - (seats and liner?).

One warning though... The on board Trip Planner has not been as reliable in predicting charging levels and needs with a P85 compared to our new S 100D. With our S 100D, the Trip Planner does a pretty good job in estimating charge at destination, and, if anything, is too conservative in estimating how much charge is needed before leaving a supercharger.

With our S P85, we had the opposite experience. The Trip Planner was way, way, too optimistic - consistently overestimating the predicted charge at destination, and often when we used the Trip Planner estimates, we'd have to slow down considerably between chargers, just to stretch the charge far enough to make it. Which means that we'd end up staying at each supercharger longer than recommended, to ensure we'd have enough charge to make it to the new charger - and maintain full highway speeds.

For our S P85, we used a "30-30" rule to estimate how much charge we should have before leaving a charger. We'd take the distance to the next charger or destination, add 30%, and then add an additional 30 miles of buffer. For example, if the next charger is 100 miles, we wouldn't leave the current charger until we had at least 160 miles of rated range, no matter what the Trip Planner was telling us. And using that rule reduced the number of times we had to slow down between chargers.

Our new S 100D, is much more energy efficient (likely due to the dual motors) - and we've found the Trip Planner is relatively accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: No ICE
Quick Update for the timeline:

8-JUN: Applied for the loan through the tesla website
9-JUN: Approved for the loan at 2.90% for 60 months (was not aware the approval is only good for 30 days)
11-JUN: Put my $1,000 deposit down on the P85
12-JUN: Get my first email from the Pre-Owned Advisor
15-JUN: Get an update, car still being inspected, 4 new wheels and tires ordered, also get the carfax, hopefully car will be ready for pickup 8-JUL, not set in stone by any means
23-JUN: Get photos of the car, waiting on a few parts (not specified what parts), should know by the 29th of we are on track for 8-JUL pickup (car is in West Palm Beach, FL and needs to go to Atlanta, GA) Showing a range of 232 miles at what appears about 90% charge (very happy about that). Interior is rough, but will be good before/after photos (hopefully), tires and rims appear new (one rim has a green sticker on it).

IMG_9422.JPG
IMG_9423.JPG
IMG_9425.JPG
IMG_9427.JPG
IMG_9428.JPG
IMG_9436.JPG
IMG_9437.JPG
IMG_9439.JPG
IMG_9441.JPG

Reactions: Akikiki and SMAlset
Nice looking car and color options. I've only seen a green Roadster, never a MS. Very sharp. Best of luck with it. I think you'll love driving it. Only caveat I'll mention is keep an eye on the screen for any bubbles as I think if you check through the threads this was the car year that they recently started showing up on, and the car and you are located in the hot South where the issue seemed to be more prevalent among owners. The two year warranty is a nice deal as well as the price. I bet July can't come soon enough for you!

Quick update.

Typing this while I wait on my super charge to finish.

Picked up the car on 8 JUL.

Waiting on two parts, but I needed a car, so they offered me the choice of a rental or take the car and come back when the parts arrive at the SC.

Easy choice... LOVE THIS P85!!!!