Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP help (or ABRP is so frustrating)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my car, I was enamored with ABRP. But its user interface is hardly friendly and most of the options just add to the complexity of use without any benefit. Like others have said, I use ABRP as a check against planning the route manually with Google.
I don't mind the options. I think I've played with most of them. For me it's the interface. Aside from the update issue, I find that changes don't stick (although I might get confused because of the update issue) and the controls are bad. As stated prior, why would you default the date to the current trip date (6 weeks now for me) then not allow me to add a day (hotel stay) via the keyboard but force me to use a pop-up calendar defaulting to today. How hard would it be to have an 'overnight' checkbox for any waypoint. If this is a trip planner one would have to assume that a good many will be multiple days and near zero of us are driving 14 days straight through (my current trip plan).

I have downgraded to basic now. And will continue to use it to see charging stations along route. I think that is still a bit better than doing the same thing via say plugshare.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I always just use the Tesla nav system. I don't know why people are fooling around with ABRP.
The Tesla nav system is excellent. I knows the car, battery state, etc. and makes adjustments along the way for real consumption as well as busy SC stations.

I still use it on longer trips. Its invaluable for knowing exactly how far you can push your car & battery. I have mine set to arrive at a Supercharger with atleast 5%.. and to arrive at a destination with at least 20%. Sometimes I push it even further if I know Im arriving at a destination where I know I can 100% charge up for sure.

It is still by far the fastest way I can travel in Model Y on long-range trips.. and awesome traveling almost as fast as I could in a gas car. It generally has me stop for 10mins or less.. keep the range between 5%-65%.. and I barely have enough time to hit the bathroom before jumping back in the car to drive again.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I still use it on longer trips. Its invaluable for knowing exactly how far you can push your car & battery. I have mine set to arrive at a Supercharger with atleast 5%.. and to arrive at a destination with at least 20%. Sometimes I push it even further if I know Im arriving at a destination where I know I can 100% charge up for sure.

It is still by far the fastest way I can travel in Model Y on long-range trips.. and awesome traveling almost as fast as I could in a gas car. It generally has me stop for 10mins or less.. keep the range between 5%-65%.. and I barely have enough time to hit the bathroom before jumping back in the car to drive again.
are you refering to ABRP or the tesla nav?

ABRP is teeming with defects. Stored routes practically do not work as they should. Real-time navigation does not work as it should. I have not found any way to work around the defects.

What seems to work at least partly is to enter a new route and calculating the charging stops. I use the stored routes only to save the destinations. After activating one I treat it as a new route and enter all parameters afresh. Even then I do not necessarily drive as ABRP says. I merely take it as planning advice.

Once on my way, I occasionally go into ABRP and treat the rest of my journey like a new route.

It seems to me that the maker of ABRP had a pretty good idea what it should do and how it should work, but then never really did it. No essential improvement for years.