Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean LED Lighting w/o Premium Pckg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He didn't show the replacement of the light of the hatch door, which I have heard is the most difficult to do. Was it a mess? Decided not to replace it?

I did replace it. We ended up closing the hatch and I laid down in the back to get it out and it wasn't easy to film that part. I should have it filmed on my S light replacement which is the same for the rear hatch. That is one of the harder lights to replace though.

I tried to make this video a little shorter since I just had a video showing how to replace the lights on my S.

Thanks Erik

So my attempt to get a set of brackets failed as they needed to verify my VIN.

Looks like we may need a mule with PUP to purchase. They wouldn't disclose the cost of them.
Assuming the brackets for the X are the same as the S, we sell those too....originally we were getting them from the local SC, but Tesla eventually stopped supplying them to us, so we got our own manufactured. 1000's of the bloody things :)

Assuming the brackets for the X are the same as the S, we sell those too....originally we were getting them from the local SC, but Tesla eventually stopped supplying them to us, so we got our own manufactured. 1000's of the bloody things :)

Hey Pete!

Unfortunately the X is different. There is no rod going between the sides of the seat that I saw it could attach to. Underneath the X seats is much more open.

Thanks Erik

Are these the ones? All the way towards the front of the seat? Where exactly are the wires supposed to be? In the video by Erik it seemed like he found the wires all the way at the back of the seat. If that's the case, how in the world do you manage to get them pulled all the way forward?

Apologize for the terrible pic. Hard to get a proper picture under there.

If you get a chance, see if there's a slot on the opposite side on the bracket where you can tuck the fabric into so it doesn't cover the opening.

I've tried it both ways with the fabric covering and not covering the LED. Covering the LED is almost pointless as it fabric shields nearly all the light transmission.

This is the reason I left my LED dangling outside the fabric.

To be honest it felt like I had to cut the fabric to get it to open enough. I'll get my bulbs some time over the weekend, I'll give it a go then and take photos when I'm done.

Still need to figure out exactly where the wires are supposed to be though. Any help with that?

To be honest it felt like I had to cut the fabric to get it to open enough. I'll get my bulbs some time over the weekend, I'll give it a go then and take photos when I'm done.

Still need to figure out exactly where the wires are supposed to be though. Any help with that?

The wires are normally zip-tied to the inside of the bracket. The drivers side of the X I did (video above) was lose, the passenger side wire was zip-tied down. I just broke the zip tie with a pair of pliers. I was able to look through the side of the seat (also in the video above) to see where the wires were. That fabric is quite stretchy and stretches no problem. *NOTE* the wires were quite short so I was just able to get the wire through the slot, connect the light and then push it in.

We tucked the fabric behind the light and it worked just fine.

Just let me know if you have any questions and I can try to answer them. I can take a look at extra footage I have and see if that would be of use also.

Thanks Erik