Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC charging issues, always limit 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I have one TESLA Model3 RWA, and I got the AC charging issue which the charge current always limit to 16A while the warning message
"(PCS_a090) Charging slowed - Some AC phases not powered Check power source and charging equipment" alway pop out ,

I was try to use different tesla charger, but the issue still happened, so I think this issue is not caused by the charger (it has no problem when I use DC supercharger).

And I also call for tesla support, and they guess that the issue is caused by PCS, and replace the new one, but the issue still happened,

Does anyone have the same issues, or has the good suggestion (solutions) for me to fix that issue.

Thanks.

And I also call for tesla support, and they guess that the issue is caused by PCS, and replace the new one, but the issue still happened,
Then you should take it back to Tesla and let them continue to troubleshoot. Certainly sounds like PCS, but if not, and its not the charger, Let Tesla continue to troubleshoot it.

Reactions: android04
Hello Everyone,

I have one TESLA Model3 RWA, and I got the AC charging issue which the charge current always limit to 16A while the warning message
"(PCS_a090) Charging slowed - Some AC phases not powered Check power source and charging equipment" alway pop out ,

I was try to use different tesla charger, but the issue still happened, so I think this issue is not caused by the charger (it has no problem when I use DC supercharger).

Does anyone have the same issues, or has the good suggestion (solutions) for me to fix that issue.

Thanks.
That sounds like 1 leg of the 240 is open so the car only sees 120 {what voltage does your Tesla App show it is being charged at?} and on that basis, limits it to 16 amps? Since you have tried different Tesla chargers, but still have the same problem, the problem must be in the car. Time for Tesla service to plug it into their local charger and see it not working, track down the problem and fix it.

That sounds like 1 leg of the 240 is open so the car only sees 120 {what voltage does your Tesla App show it is being charged at?} and on that basis, limits it to 16 amps? Since you have tried different Tesla chargers, but still have the same problem, the problem must be in the car. Time for Tesla service to plug it into their local charger and see it not working, track down the problem and fix it.
That's the charge info. that show on my tesla app

Attachments

• 288251.jpg
    288251.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 198
Error message may suggest otherwise but, if you haven’t already, make sure you’re not missing a deadfront. My AC charging was halved when one of mine got pulled off by a supercharger and I didn’t notice until later. Of corse, the next time I supercharged, that was degraded as well so…

Best to let Tesla keep troubleshooting.

Correct, but it's also only showing 3kW of power coming in. If it was using all three phases at that voltage it should be 10-11kW? In America the RWD only has two modules and thus tops at 6kW (32A single phase) whereas the AWD models have 3 modules to get to 48A single phase. Even if this RWD could only take two phases with two modules, it should show at least 6kW of power input? It does look like at least one of the modules is bad... OR some of the phases are not connected / powered.

Correct, but it's also only showing 3kW of power coming in. If it was using all three phases at that voltage it should be 10-11kW? In America the RWD only has two modules and thus tops at 6kW (32A single phase) whereas the AWD models have 3 modules to get to 48A single phase. Even if this RWD could only take two phases with two modules, it should show at least 6kW of power input? It does look like at least one of the modules is bad... OR some of the phases are not connected / powered.
True, it should show 10~11 kW and not 3. That would indicate that, although connected to 3-phase, only 1 phase is delivering current. That corresponds with the error message OP is getting. I would first try a different AC charger with a different cable (non-Tesla preferably, any public type 2 changer will do) and see if you go up to 10~11 kW and the error message is gone (in that case it's your charger/cable). Second option could be polluted prongs of the charging socket in your M3 (clean them with some sanding paper, easy fix), 3rd option could be that the charging port is defective/has loose contacts. Hope this helps.

True, it should show 10~11 kW and not 3. That would indicate that, although connected to 3-phase, only 1 phase is delivering current. That corresponds with the error message OP is getting. I would first try a different AC charger with a different cable (non-Tesla preferably, any public type 2 changer will do) and see if you go up to 10~11 kW and the error message is gone (in that case it's your charger/cable). Second option could be polluted prongs of the charging socket in your M3 (clean them with some sanding paper, easy fix), 3rd option could be that the charging port is defective/has loose contacts. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I have tried to use public charger with J1772, and this situation and warning msg. still exist.

But I have trid multiple Tesla wall charger, that only one charger can deliver 11kw to my M3. the rest of charger only 3kw.

Thanks, I have tried to use public charger with J1772, and this situation and warning msg. still exist.

But I have trid multiple Tesla wall charger, that only one charger can deliver 11kw to my M3. the rest of charger only 3kw.
If the results of trying different chargers is inconclusive my guess is the prongs in the charge port. They can get dirty and then no longer make contact. Please clean them with some fine-grained sanding paper.