Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC charging issues only with Tesla chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my car for about a month now and have been charging on a Tesla wall charger at home and sometimes on a SemaConnect charger at work. Yesterday my car would no longer charge at home. The wall charger indicates it is waiting for the vehicle to communicate, and the vehicle eventually times out and says the charger is not providing any power. I have tried both the mobile charger that came with the car and the wall unit at the house, but neither will charge the vehicle. I can still connect to the SemaConnect unit at the office and charge with no issues. I also went to a supercharger and had no problems starting a charge. I thought it might be location-specific, so I tried using the mobile charger at my office. It still would not communicate with the charger. I have tried rebooting the system from the steering wheel and had the car power down and back up. I also reset the breaker on the wall unit. Has anyone seen this type of issue? Any other suggestions?

I would recommend a service appointment. Take a picture of the error message, and submit the service appointment. Be sure to put that you are having the issue both with the mobile connector that comes with the car AND the wall connector, AND that you have tried the mobile connector at a separate location with the same issue.

You did all the appropriate troubleshooting in my opinion. Time for a service appointment.

Upvote 0
One thing that crops up occasionally, but does not perfectly match this problem, is little plastic pieces falling off the charge port pins and lodging in the connector wand. Especially if you have two cars sharing the charger, it is possible that one car (with the missing piece) will charge fine, while the other won't. And both cars will work fine with any other charger. It should be easy enough to check the wand and fish out the plastic (with power off at the breaker) if this is the problem.

ETA: Check the work charge connector as well as the home connector.

Upvote 0
I have had my car for about a month now and have been charging on a Tesla wall charger at home and sometimes on a SemaConnect charger at work. Yesterday my car would no longer charge at home. The wall charger indicates it is waiting for the vehicle to communicate, and the vehicle eventually times out and says the charger is not providing any power. I have tried both the mobile charger that came with the car and the wall unit at the house, but neither will charge the vehicle. I can still connect to the SemaConnect unit at the office and charge with no issues. I also went to a supercharger and had no problems starting a charge. I thought it might be location-specific, so I tried using the mobile charger at my office. It still would not communicate with the charger. I have tried rebooting the system from the steering wheel and had the car power down and back up. I also reset the breaker on the wall unit. Has anyone seen this type of issue? Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0