Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ac failed - battery issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AC died today on my 2017 p90 X. Sounds like compressor gave out and is making loud grinding noises and no cold air.

question is if there are any concerns with driving it. My understanding is that it uses the cooling system to control battery temps as well? I’ve seen posts about reduced cabin cooling due to other systems needing priority.

I had failed AC compressor at 70k miles was a $2500 repair out of warranty ..AC is needed to cool battery down when supercharging etc ..and in hot weather...in SoCal where I’m at I didn’t wait too long to get it fixed ..don’t think you will harm if u don’t do immediately but where I’m at in desert the AC is a must ;)

We too are in so cal desert! We got it in for service pretty quickly. Under warranty but they are still having issues with the new system. Ordered more parts this week (sounds like sensors). Overall they’ve been really good - just hope it’s fixed for good!

Reactions: P85_DA
Not sure if u are going to Palm Springs SC they took a week on the AC compressor fix ..the new one lasted 7k miles than it failed ..fortunately the parts and labor have a one year warranty ...:)

Oh wow.... What kind of failure? Mine was literally making grinding noises and causing the vehicle to shake when it tried to turn on the compressor. We went to the Bakersfield SC. I'm still at the very beginning of my pre-owned warranty, and thus have some time if it happens again.

Same as yours grinding noises and you could hear the compressor struggling ..didn’t get any vehicle shakes etc only the reduced AC message on icu ......not sure why the replacement failed but the SC just chalked that one up to a faulty part ...;)

I had failed AC compressor at 70k miles was a $2500 repair out of warranty ..AC is needed to cool battery down when supercharging etc ..and in hot weather...in SoCal where I’m at I didn’t wait too long to get it fixed ..don’t think you will harm if u don’t do immediately but where I’m at in desert the AC is a must ;)

Mine failed under warranty and again out of warranty. I've never leased before but I'm really starting to think it's better to lease a Tesla than it is to own a Tesla.

$2500 for AC.
$3500 to replace 3rd row seats
$1500 for MCU
$900 for new rear camera
$400 for new side camera

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Mine failed under warranty and again out of warranty. I've never leased before but I'm really starting to think it's better to lease a Tesla than it is to own a Tesla.

$2500 for AC.
$3500 to replace 3rd row seats
$1500 for MCU
$900 for new rear camera
$400 for new side camera

I have had zero failures but still prefer leasing.

Buying an EV today is like buying a computer in the 90s. You getting a 90 Mhz Pentium, but Pentium 2, and Pentium 3 are already on the drawing board. They will both have not only more performance and but cost 30% less than the previous version. EVs are not like an ICE car where a big change for a model year is new headrests and taillights.