Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Works, Mostly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if any other owners have seen this - my MS has done this since new.

Driving with the AC on, especially if traffic is slow, or the car is getting hot. The AC will blow, but the compressor shuts off, and it is blowing warm air.

For Example: on a 20 minute trip, 5 minutes into the drive the AC might blow hot for 2 minutes, but before and after that it blows normal AC as expected.

AC still looks like it's on, and I have not noticed any informational messages on the screens.
Probably happens once, in 1 of every 5 trips when I am using the AC, so not super frequent, but enough to be annoying.

Or the front louvers are stuck closed.

Our X had one instance of no A/C but it started working after our next stop. No idea what caused that.

If the batteries need to be cooled they will steal your A/C if necessary. So a hot battery or a degraded cooling system/HVAC can cost you your in-cabin A/C.

Today the temperature in my area was fluctuating between 102 and 105 and I drove around 300 total miles with some charging in between and my car did the same thing.

I have had a couple of days like this during my ownership of the car and the same thing has happened.

My service center told me that in extreme cases, the HVAC will be used to help cool the battery and I might notice a difference inside the car. It’s never been to a point of it being uncomfortable, just noticeable that something is “different.”

I've had this exact same issue on my 2017 Model S with air suspension. The AC would randomly blow warm air for almost exactly 2 minutes then works normally again. I've logged the dates and times this happens and finally took it into the SC to diagnose. They were able to locate and fix the issue. At least I think it's fixed since I only picked up the car yesterday and only drove it home from the SC. Here's the note from the service invoice. It was covered under warranty.

Verified customer concern of AC shutting off. Found suspension compressor interfering with AC compressor signals causing AC to shut off. Overlaid separate wiring harness for suspension compressor which would interfere with AC signals. After installation verified AC no longer shutting off when suspension compressor actives at this time.

You may want to take your car into the SC to have them check if this might be your issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I don’t understand when people say a hot battery can steal AC. I literally understand the concept, but I’ve super charged I’m 113 F weather from 10% to 80% multiple times on long trips with both front and rear AC blasting in my wife’s X and the car was cool as a cucumber. I don’t think reduction of cabin AC should ever actually happen if everything is functioning correctly

Reactions: mymagiccarpet
Wondering if any other owners have seen this - my MS has done this since new.

Driving with the AC on, especially if traffic is slow, or the car is getting hot. The AC will blow, but the compressor shuts off, and it is blowing warm air.

For Example: on a 20 minute trip, 5 minutes into the drive the AC might blow hot for 2 minutes, but before and after that it blows normal AC as expected.

AC still looks like it's on, and I have not noticed any informational messages on the screens.
Probably happens once, in 1 of every 5 trips when I am using the AC, so not super frequent, but enough to be annoyin

Same problem here -- have been fighting this since 2017 and I leave warranty this Sept and it's aggravating/worrisome I'll be coming out of pocket for this. They've replaced almost my entire AC system (except for compressor) at this point.

I get random, extremely hot/warm air, when the AC is set to 70 and ambient is 74-76F.

If anyone has had their SC with some success, pls PM me. My SC (Agoura Hills, CA) is awesome but they're struggling.