Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

accelerated degradation concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting! I will try the same next time I do a trip. I assume you used a CAN bus logger to capture it.

Quite right. But bear in mind that I'm using the BT module that does something like 100 frames per second so there were around 3 million lines of data. I had to use 64-bit Excel manipulate and even then, had to split the CSV file into 3 parts.

Reactions: David99
I posted this in my original thread, but thought it would be useful here:

As promised, I have a graph for a 100% to 1% trip on a 90kwh battery, for single long contiguous trip. The red line is the depletion of the battery if Nominal Capacity is used to calculate Remaining Range for the entire trip (which matches what the car reports as starting with). The yellow/orange line is the depletion of the battery if Usable Capacity is used to calculate Remaining Range for the entire trip (which matches what the car reports as ending with).

The black line is the ACTUAL Range remaining as reported by the car, for the entire trip.

So, yes, a million lines of data proves that the car is changing what it is using to calculate Range Remaining. And it's changing between Nominal and Usable. The result is that the driver is informed of more available range than he/she actually has available at 100%, with the true remaining range only to be shown only less than 20% and most accurately at 10%.

Source data freely available to @ran349, @emir-t , @Brass Guy, @wk057, or anyone else that would like to pick apart the numbers and see if different conclusion can be drawn. But my conclusion is that Tesla is lying to 90kwh owners about the actual degradation to their batteries.....

View attachment 322920

I believe the same effect can be observed while charging. I've been casually observing very strange charging behavior recently, i.e. calculated charge efficiency using charge energy added around 100%, or sometimes wildly exceeding that for short charges. I've also observed the time for each percent charge added seems quite variable.

I will have to get harder data on this, but it appears like what's happening now is I have 6-8% real degradation on-top of the ~3% degradation comparing 100% SoC miles from new, or the ~4% degradation from CAN usable energy at 80.8kWh.

• Informative
I just had my car in for service this week for a bunch of stuff including the battery. I was told when I picked it up today that I was seeing a typical “correction” for summer and that my range should return when it cools off. I live in AZ, so yes it’s hot, but my degradation seems a bit out of the norm to me. It was in service for 42 months before I got it with about 8 miles loss. My max charge Feb 2017 was 201, now it is 184. It was pretty steady for the first three months I had the car but it has started to drop and I’ve lost 4 miles in just the last 4 weeks. (It’s been hot since May so I’m not really buying into the summer correction stuff).

Looking at the original graph from that crowd sourced battery info, I’d be one of the outliers at 72k miles. The tech told me to bring it back in to them in Oct/Nov if the battery is still dropping after the car has a chance to adjust to the cooler weather. I ran the battery all the way down to 7mi left when I brought it in to help rebalance the pack, but it still lost 1/2mi from my last completed charge.

I’ve also had several instances where the car gains 4-6 miles while idling only to lose it a day or two later. Or I get 150% or 60% efficiency on my drives because the battery depletes too slow or too fast. Something is going on with my pack.

Attachments

• 561D77DF-936B-498F-B485-4126BBC280D6.png
    561D77DF-936B-498F-B485-4126BBC280D6.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 57
I think the EPA rating is still done by driving the car until it stops. But I am not sure of that. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
Still seems like it. Detailed Test Information points to https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/EPA test procedure for EVs-PHEVs-11-14-2017.pdf which basically says that: "the vehicle is driven over successive city cycles until the battery becomes discharged (and the vehicle can no longer follow the city driving cycle)." For the other two procedures, it's the same but it's a different cycle or set of cycles.

• Informative
Reactions: ran349
@skitch23
I can’t see a change of rated range on my car based on ambient temperature. I’ve kept detailed records long enough that seasonal changes would show up. If anything, a warmer battery has more range because it is more efficient. That’s what the ‘range mode’ option does. It warms up the battery to a higher temperature than normal. So I’m not sure the technician talking about summer vs winter range estimates makes any sense.

I used to see range jumps (mostly up) in the first 2 years I owned my car. In the last 2 years I haven’t seen it any more. My theory is that they optimized the BMS and range estimates. My battery is very well balanced even now after 173k miles so I doubt cell imbalance was the cause back then. But it could be an explanation in your case. If the difference between cells becomes too big you have to subtract some capacity because the weakest cells limit the entire pack. That could explain the jumps in range. There could be other reasons, though.

@David99

Yeah when I dropped the car off a diff tech told me that the pack would have been reset when I got it as a CPO so it is correcting itself to what it should be. Since these are polar opposite responses, I'm not sure I can believe either one. And I have yet to see anyone post about gaining ~3% of range while the car is parked so that is a bit confusing to me as well (this has happened multiple times... winter and summer). I really like my car, but if I am going to continue to lose 12-15mi (or more) of range every year it just won't be wise to keep it.

@David99

Yeah when I dropped the car off a diff tech told me that the pack would have been reset when I got it as a CPO so it is correcting itself to what it should be. Since these are polar opposite responses, I'm not sure I can believe either one. And I have yet to see anyone post about gaining ~3% of range while the car is parked so that is a bit confusing to me as well (this has happened multiple times... winter and summer). I really like my car, but if I am going to continue to lose 12-15mi (or more) of range every year it just won't be wise to keep it.
Yeah, your car doesn't get the range, your battery does.