Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is about a 50 HP boost to 77 MPH then it starts closing in to 0 at around 92 MPH.
Are 50-70 MPH times out there anywhere?

I'm more interested in the passing performance on interstates. I keep looking at this option every month but decide against it every time.

Something like this 0-60/30-50/50-70 comparative times for 70D/85D/P85D
I don't have those specific numbers, but its most blatently apparent if you punch it at 20 or 30mph. The car is still limited from a dig, and if you watch the power bar on the screen, you'll see it still ramps up as you go from 0-30. If you are doing 30 at little to no throttle and then punch it, you'll see how quickly you get full power. It's most noticeable there, and I believe based on DragTimes previous videos, is fairly close to P3 power if you were to do a 20 or 30 to 80 or 100 roll.

Som

The difference is highly significant. Your issue is you ordered it too soon and were still infatuated with the non-boosted power. If you cancel the order now, you would be scrambling for your credit card once you feel the slower version.

It's very interesting because apparently Tesla gave me longer than 48 hours. I ordered the boost the day I picked it up on 8/3 around 12 - 1:00pm, and yesterday around 6:00pm I thought for sure it was too late to refund, but the app still let me do it.

You are 100% correct - I never had a chance to really drive it and punch it numerous times in standard mode, so that's really the only reason why I wanted to go back, just to see. Now that I really know what it feels like with the boost, I can (hopefully) somewhat accurately compare - memories can be pretty flawed.

If I don't notice that much of a difference, I'll just leave it alone...but if there's ANY noticeable difference SOTP, I'm going to immediately order it again. :D

Update: one day later and I already want it back lol

I'm gonna ride it out for a few more days, maybe a week, so I can more appropriately appreciate it when I buy it again!
Good....You will appreciate it more and look at it as cheap $2,000 investment allowing you to be one of the fastest on the road. I bought mine in March. I wanted the Performance model, but back then couldn't keep the price below the $55k NJ cap to receive the $5k tax credit. My first day with my LR AWD, I also purchased the boost. The difference is it didn't take effect until a week later when I received the needed updated software package. This gave me some time to make a comparison.

Good....You will appreciate it more and look at it as cheap $2,000 investment allowing you to be one of the fastest on the road. I bought mine in March. I wanted the Performance model, but back then couldn't keep the price below the $55k NJ cap to receive the $5k tax credit. My first day with my LR AWD, I also purchased the boost. The difference is it didn't take effect until a week later when I received the needed updated software package. This gave me some time to make a comparison.

Ahh so that worked out perfectly for you...that would have been nice, then I could have just compared normally. But I think especially comparing backwards, it's definitely a noticeable difference!

I've been telling a lot of ppl about it, and many ppl just don't understand the significance of .5 seconds when you're even close to 4 seconds. They think it's crazy to spend $2k to gain that tiny bit of time 0-60. You have to explain how it's obviously completely different than going from 6 to 5.5 secs, or even 5.5 to 5. And it's not all just about 0-60...the HP and torque increase is significant.

I don't think I will last a week...

Reactions: ml0204
upload_2020-8-6_20-47-32.png

Ahh so that worked out perfectly for you...that would have been nice, then I could have just compared normally. But I think especially comparing backwards, it's definitely a noticeable difference!

I've been telling a lot of ppl about it, and many ppl just don't understand the significance of .5 seconds when you're even close to 4 seconds. They think it's crazy to spend $2k to gain that tiny bit of time 0-60. You have to explain how it's obviously completely different than going from 6 to 5.5 secs, or even 5.5 to 5. And it's not all just about 0-60...the HP and torque increase is significant.

I don't think I will last a week...

upload_2020-8-6_20-47-32.png

I don't have a dragy, but the next best thing I could find (for now) was the drag racer app. Are apps like this accurate at all?

I have pretty limited places to test 0-60...this one time I was finally at a stoplight with no one in front of me, and a mustang gt that was beside me was literally 10+ car lengths behind me by the time I hit 60. It definitely felt faster than 4.0s flat. My Maserati used to hit that regularly, but didn't feel quite this fast.

With the small gripes I have about wanting a little more low end power (0-30), I can't see losing many races with this kind of linear acceleration.

08-12_02:46:54.jpg

Hopefully they're not accurate with a bias to report slower times! I see people getting ~3.7s with boost which is a significant difference from 4.0. :confused:
With 1hz phone app, you are only getting 1 data point per second. so it is estimating on a maximum of 4 data points within the 4 seconds. (i.e. hard to be very accurate)

These cars are so consistent, I am certain that your car is running equivalent times to all other acceleration boost cars.