Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel it's a much larger difference than previous free upgrades. The numbers seem to back that up as well.

In the past the updates gave between 0.1 and 0.15 in 0-60. This update has given 0.5. Also, the closer 0-60 approaches 0, the more of a meaningful difference it is. For example 0-60 in 7.0 instead of 7.5 isn't much of a big deal.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and arghx7
It would absolutely make sense for them to do this after the initial wave of purchases. Because once you feel the upgrade the standard will feel slow. If you never feel the upgrade the base AWD will never feel slow. I'd expect next quarter or so.
Exactly. It'll be a few days before the YT community gets the upgrade and posts some pre vs post numbers. Curious as to how this upgrade will impact the 1/4 mile times.

I'm happy for the LR AWD owners but have to say that as a Performance Model 3 owner, I'm bittersweet about it. I bought the performance model only for the better acceleration and didn't care about the bigger wheels, brakes or spoilers. We were also told the motors were different...

Now that the Dual Motor AWD accelerates as much at a Performance Model 3, there will be little selling points for people to buy a Performance instead of a LR AWD... which will ultimately hurt resale value of the Performance Model 3.

I'm hoping that Tesla will provide an update at some point that will increase the acceleration for the Performance Model, hopefully under 3 seconds... :p

Meanwhile, enjoy your need car :)

I don't know what the source of this data is but it is inconsistent with the master data file. Not entirely surprising if they took the data from column DG (which appears to be wrong for 2020) and ignored column DC. You should see what the corresponding file for 2018 that you're looking at says about the Performance vs. AWD.
That's from the EPA Datafile. At best we've found this data is completely inconsistent and thus unreliable. As you pointed out in previous years when motors were the same they said they were different and in some columns they say they're different and others the same. This is a fouled datapoint to me now.