Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd rather spend $2k on any combination of the following:

1) Apple CarPlay
2) Driver's door mirror adjustment switches
3) Heated steering wheel

Other than an ego boost, I can't see any practical advantage of 3.9 seconds versus 4.4 seconds in daily driving situations.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
How is this different from the last 5% update boost for AWD?

I thought they increased acceleration and range on the last update.

Last update was to acceleration only ; no improved range. Unless you want to call the new one pedal driving a range improvement.

This paid upgrade is definitely more substantial than the free ones prior.
It does not completely change the way the car feels. There is more pull when you accelerate hard and the numbers move faster.

I wanted a full uncork to performance level and would have paid more than $2K for that. It was not offered so I got this instead.
Have a faster car now and I think it is now fast enough plus saved some money. Track mode would be interesting but I may never use it so not a concern of mine.
For me, it was worth it.

I don't think this upgrade is for everyone, but maybe 40% of AWD owners.
Comparing to the Stealth upgrade for the same price is pointless, as owners we don't have that option for $2K.

New buyers should get a P3D- for $2K more than AWD while they still can, the value of that already great just went up in my opinion.
Performance owners will not be upset one bit as this upgrade only gets AWD half way to performance.

I'm willing to take a collection... and if enough is raised I will upgrade and write a report.
I'm happy for the LR AWD owners but have to say that as a Performance Model 3 owner, I'm bittersweet about it. I bought the performance model only for the better acceleration and didn't care about the bigger wheels, brakes or spoilers. We were also told the motors were different...

Now that the Dual Motor AWD accelerates as much at a Performance Model 3, there will be little selling points for people to buy a Performance instead of a LR AWD... which will ultimately hurt resale value of the Performance Model 3.

I'm hoping that Tesla will provide an update at some point that will increase the acceleration for the Performance Model, hopefully under 3 seconds... :p

Meanwhile, enjoy your need car :)
Except that the boost doesn't accelerate as fast as the performance model.

I'm happy for the LR AWD owners but have to say that as a Performance Model 3 owner, I'm bittersweet about it. I bought the performance model only for the better acceleration and didn't care about the bigger wheels, brakes or spoilers. We were also told the motors were different...

Now that the Dual Motor AWD accelerates as much at a Performance Model 3, there will be little selling points for people to buy a Performance instead of a LR AWD... which will ultimately hurt resale value of the Performance Model 3.

I'm hoping that Tesla will provide an update at some point that will increase the acceleration for the Performance Model, hopefully under 3 seconds... :p

The P is still ~.5 seconds faster to 60. This acceleration boost gets the AWD half-way from the standard AWD to the P.

Reactions: TyH2009
What was the 0-60 before the 5% boost and after? Was it 4.5s and now 4.4?

The reported numbers by Telsa are screwy don't go by them ; go by real world tests shown on this forum using the rollout method all magazines use, most car makers use and Telsa uses for the P model.
Post both 5% updates (yes there have been 2 different ones recently) the car was running about 4.0 sec 0-60
With this upgrade it is approx. 3.5 sec 0-60
That is really fast, not many production cars can match that and feels more special to me than 4.0

Prior to the 2 different 5% boosts the car was approx. 4.2 sec ; the previous boosts each deducted about .1 to the 0-60 timing.

In comparison the Performance model is approx. 3.0 sec now so still .5 sec faster ; this upgrade is basically half way between AWD and P
Not enough testing yet to see the difference in 1/4 mile times.

Reactions: phantasms
Not judging your decision.

However, I'm not too fond of this sales model... limiting performance/options then selling "unlocks". Pretty soon we'll have DLC and loot boxes.

That said, they've been doing this for a while.

M3 needs a jailbreak.
you should be thankful for all the OTA updates-you'll realize this if you won Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf.

Exactly. It'll be a few days before the YT community gets the upgrade and posts some pre vs post numbers. Curious as to how this upgrade will impact the 1/4 mile times.

Someone ran an 11.8 at 116 and change with it last night on a Dragy. I'm sure in better conditions we'll see an 11.7. FWIW I ran an 11.499 on a prepped track with a P+ press car a couple months back. At the time that was a record.

I'd rather spend $2k on any combination of the following:

1) Apple CarPlay
2) Driver's door mirror adjustment switches
3) Heated steering wheel

Other than an ego boost, I can't see any practical advantage of 3.9 seconds versus 4.4 seconds in daily driving situations.

We are very different people. And there's nothing wrong with that. :)

What was the 0-60 before the 5% boost and after? Was it 4.5s and now 4.4?

People were hitting 3.9 flat with the most recent update. Now they're hitting 3.4.

• Informative
Reactions: ftlum

The extra acceleration performance is nice in the P3 but what they should have done is differentiated this trim a bit more. Sport seats, chin spoiler, heads up display for Track driving, lighter forged wheels, adaptive suspension, etc.

The reported numbers by Telsa are screwy don't go by them ; go by real world tests shown on this forum using the rollout method all magazines use, most car makers use and Telsa uses for the P model.
Post both 5% updates (yes there have been 2 different ones recently) the car was running about 4.0 sec 0-60
With this upgrade it is approx. 3.5 sec 0-60
That is really fast, not many production cars can match that and feels more special to me than 4.0

Prior to the 2 different 5% boosts the car was approx. 4.2 sec ; the previous boosts each deducted about .1 to the 0-60 timing.

In comparison the Performance model is approx. 3.0 sec now so still .5 sec faster ; this upgrade is basically half way between AWD and P
Not enough testing yet to see the difference in 1/4 mile times.
Thank you. This is where my confusion is because people have been getting 4.1s with the 5% update and Tesla just advertised a 1s difference... From the Elektrek article in November:

"Tesla Model 3 Long Range, All-Wheel Drive (LR-AWD)

When it was announced in March 2018, Tesla promised a 4.5s 0-60mph time for the LR-AWD. Today, Tesla advertises the LR-AWD with a 4.4s time. In November 2019 with the latest software, that time now tests at 4.159s. Source: Reddit User Wugz with lots more detailed data."

Now that we've essentially kissed free power upgrades goodbye (Merry Christmas), I hope this does not start a bad trend where Tesla starts charging for other enhancements.
I don't think it is the end of free performance updates, I think it is a gap fill. It would have made more sense if they just made the true performance car 3.5, stealth 4, AWD 4.5, RWD 5+ instead they released a bunch of stealth cars with full performance and it left them with a gap. In the future we may see another .1 or more update across the whole line. Who knows.

In November 2019 with the latest software, that time now tests at 4.159s. Source: Reddit User Wugz with lots more detailed data."

It's quicker than that even still, using the proper magazine method. It lays it down in 3.9 flat without the paid boost. A few of us, myself included, even hit very high 3.8. My entire county is covered in ice right now but I'm going to get out and test ASAP. Good times!

How do you know if it is installed? Does it say on the car's screen somewhere?

Your acceleration mode options under the driving submenu change from standard to sport
Only 2 options you will have are sport and chill if you have the upgrade

There is no other indication on screen, the update happens in about 1 sec of the payment