Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would estimate about 3-5 car lengths difference in the 1/4mi. between the a M3P and AWD+, assuming the same reaction time, etc. I figure AWD+ will do 12.0-12.1 now, about the same as new Mustang GT or stock C7 Corvette.

Figure M3Ps are running the 1/4 mi in 11.5-11.6 now, about the same as a ZL1 Camaro (650hp/tq) with a good driver.
There’s a verified Dragy post with an 11.86s 1/4 mile for the AWD+

I wonder how Tesla did this on the Dual Motor version for $2k.

A .5 second increase that gets 0-60 down to 3.8?
Tesla Model 3 'Acceleration Boost' tested: 0-60 in 3.8, more power and torque - Electrek

Those are Performance Model 3 numbers.

I thought Performance Model 3's were performance because they have burned in motors.

Burned in motors are a physical thing right?

Did Tesla not tell us the truth about the performance Model 3? Did Tesla just software limit the Performance Model 3's and call them Dual Motor Model 3's?

What's the deal?

Last edited:
There is no way that you have 10k posts and you haven't seen enough arguments about this for a lifetime. haha.

The AWD has an extra motor over the RWD, is it really surprising that it's 30% more powerful?

I'm comparing the Dual Motor ( upgrade ) to Performance.

Dual Motor now has Performance numbers for $2k.

Performance was supposed to include "burned in" ( physically different ) motors.
https://electrek.co/2018/05/19/tesl...-version-ac-induction-permanent-magnet-motor/

Last edited:
I had a chance to run next to a runway at a local airport. My god, the speed boost is real. My eyes went to the back of my head and got light headed.

During my test drives with Performance Model3s were on public roads so I never felt like this before. No doubt that may be faster but the AWD+ is very fast too. I’m loving it now.

interested in seeing a race between the two.

Anyone in the Charlotte North Carolina that wants to try this let me know. I’m interested as well to see the side by side

I wonder how Tesla did this on the Dual Motor version for $2k.

A .5 second increase that gets 0-60 down to 3.8?
Tesla Model 3 'Acceleration Boost' tested: 0-60 in 3.8, more power and torque - Electrek

Those are Performance Model 3 numbers.

I thought Performance Model 3's were performance because they have burned in motors.

Burned in motors are a physical thing right?

Did Tesla not tell us the truth about the performance Model 3? Did Tesla just software limit the Performance Model 3's and call them Dual Motor Model 3's?

What's the deal?

The M3P is now putting down 3.0 sec 0-60mph times now, 11.5 1/4 miles times. The M3P+ has bigger brake rotors, big red calipers, larger brake pads. It also comes with Michelin PS4 performance tires and Track Mode with tuning assistance from Randy Pobst. The suspension is lowered about 1/2 inch and you get a carbon fiber trunk lid spoiler. And don't forget the $30 silver pedal covers and badge with a red line under it. :)

Ideally, the performance model would have included some other performance related items to help differentiate it a bit more such as sportier seats and mag ride suspension but it is still a bargain for the performance you get when compared to similar ICE based sports sedans.

This 2k update is great but... when I ordered my LR AWD I had the option of getting a "Unicorn" which was a LR AWD but with the speed of a Performance and it was only 2k to get it.. And now I'm kicking myself that I didn't.

The Stealth 3P or whatever we want to call it is/was definitely the best price/performance bargain. I bet Tesla was testing the customer base by quietly offering that trim and when they saw the response they said, let's just charge $2k for for a software update.

The M3P is now putting down 3.0 sec 0-60mph times now, 11.5 1/4 miles times. The M3P+ has bigger brake rotors, big red calipers, larger brake pads. It also comes with Michelin PS4 performance tires and Track Mode with tuning assistance from Randy Pobst. The suspension is lowered about 1/2 inch and you get a carbon fiber trunk lid spoiler. And don't forget the $30 silver pedal covers and badge with a red line under it. :)

Ideally, the performance model would have included some other performance related items to help differentiate it a bit more such as sportier seats and mag ride suspension but it is still a bargain for the performance you get when compared to similar ICE based sports sedans.

I officially timed my P3D+ last year at the Joliet Speedway Autobahn in Illinois @2.8 ( 0-60 mph )

Reactions: LACALawyer