Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Here, let's make this simple. Does having the same catalogue part number prove that the part is always the same?

Yes.

That's kind of the entire point of a part number

When you build the vehicle you use a build of materials (BOM) that list all the part numbers that go into the "whatever" you are building.

Part numbers insure the correct parts go into it.

If PNs don't uniquely ID the right part then they're useless.

Likewise when it comes time to replace a part that goes bad, the PN has to uniquely ID the correct replacement part.

This is how we know for a fact a 980 drive unit is a 980 drive unit- and there's no "special" 980 that only went in P cars... and when you go to order a replacement 980 for a repair they don't even ask if it's a P or not.

because there's only one 980 part for all cars that got a 980 to begin with.

Does having a different part number prove the parts are different?

Also yes.

Otherwise you're adding cost and complexity for no reason at all.

Do we know there are no other physical differences?

Yes. See above. Part numbers exist to indicate what part is what.

The answer to all of these is no

The answer to all of them is explicitly yes. Again it's why part numbers even exist

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Matias
Then you don't understand parts numbers or haven't bought enough parts. That ain't the way it works.

I mean, I'm pretty confident I've worked for a lot larger MFG companies than you, but you tell the lie however you want I guess :)

Notice how I keep giving specific details and even citing sources (the parts catalog) proving you wrong, and you just keep going "nu uh!"

Reactions: Phlier and MattUNI
...you're not making much sense here...

Are you trying to claim FSD is $2000 again?

Yeah you seem pretty confused about several things.

The P and AWD had the same hardware (drivetrain wise anyway) in 2018....and some did in early 2019.

The AWD has had a different rear drive unit since early-ish 2019 though.

Though I'm not clear what that has to do with pricing?

How are you accessing Teslas internal software like that (on a newer Tesla- not one of the more ancient early ones folks have rooted fairly easily), including insuring when it phones home there's no issue with your config not matching what the back end says you should have?

OT:

No FSD is not $2K it's $4K. My point is Tesla is full of BS on pricing commitments and there are going to be more changes coming as well.

I'm saying people say the rear drive on the P and AWD is not the same and so the AWD can't be software upgraded. Please tell me any drive difference of the rear drive units that impacted this, not part numbers either. which once again reminds me it was you You seem to think a part number makes the hardware different, it does not. Also there has been access to the model 3 for a long time and work arounds to deal with the profile match it just requires use of a non-tesla app or no app use, not a big deal. Updates are fully available as well with no issue. I guess you still remain uninformed.

Last edited:
Listen, a catalog part number is purposed to designate what currently produced part to use in a specific application. That in no way implies that part is always the same, doesn't change. It designates what can currently be supplied/used for a stated purpose. Have you never ordered, by intention, the same part with the same number and received a workable but different production part? Not even close to uncommon. Changing the number can also have different purposes than distinguishing a physical difference. Assumptions do not make valid proofs.

Elon is an outstanding man, but he has no problems bending the truth when it suits him. I doubt he would willingly admit to non-P owners that they have P hardware that is simply software locked, because he's seen how whiny his customers can be.

Well, I have no proof him flat out lying about anything yet, however to stay on topic.....I wonder which of these 3 rear motors ( part 1 ) is to be associated with power boost.

3dus-png.365762

Last edited:
And I should add, Knightshade, that I personally think you are likely right, at least pre-990 motors, that any differences were perhaps just software. There is reasonable evidence in that direction. But has that been proven? No. No, it has not. The point is, always be sceptical and keep an open mind.

Rather than a grand conspiracy theory a simple explanation would be that they intended from the beginning to use a less expensive motor in the non P AWD, but they were in production hell and had far bigger problems to deal with at the time. Rather than testing and validating a less expensive rear motor, they simply used the same motor in LR, LR AWD and LR AWDP at the start.

Later when things calmed down they were able to finally validate the new rear motor for AWD and save some cash on every AWD non P. It must save enough money to have it produced and stocked separately, or they would not bother changing it out.

There are better ways to achieve what you want that don’t require sh**ting on the UX of users that don’t want them all mashed together into an incoherent mess.

eg. with a halfway decent “tag” feature, a mod could tag the threads rather than move them, and people like you could filter out those with the tags you don’t care about

The size of this thread alone (45 pages in only about 2-2 1/2 days) tells us that simply would not have kept the forum from being overrun with posts on this topic.

Reactions: TyH2009
OT:

No FSD is not $2K it's $4K. My point is Tesla is full of BS on pricing commitments and there are going to be more changes coming as well.

Except, they're not.

FSD was only on sale once- ever- below the pricing commitment- and they admitted it was a mistake, pulled it, and said they're not ever going to repeat such a mistake.

I'm saying people say the rear drive on the P and AWD is not the same

People also say we never landed on the moon.

Doesn't change the fact that AWD and P3D- got the same physical parts for 2018 and part of 2019- and Teslas own parts catalog confirms that.

Please tell me any drive difference of the rear drive units that impacted this

I did.

All the AWD cars that were after-the-fact upgraded via software to a P had a 980 drive unit.

Because a 980 is a 980.

If the rear DU in your car dies and it's a 980- and you go order a replacement- Tesla does not ask or care if your car was a P or not.

Which directly disproves the idea there's some "special" version of the 980 that Ps get.

There isn't, and they don't.

Again teslas own catalog confirms this fact

There's no "speculation" here at all- just facts you can read for yourself in the catalog.

Reactions: Phlier and Matias
The AWD without this (but with the 2 5% bumps) actually does from calibrated testing 4.1 without rollout and 3.9 with rollout (and with rollout is how the P is advertised, but not the non-Ps- Tesla's deceptive in this practice and the only car company that does it).

With the update it's roughly 0.4 quicker on both... (several folks so far getting 3.7-something without rollout and 3.4-something with rollout)

3.7 from 4.1 in real world driving doesn't seem worth $2000 to me. Now, if it dropped to 3.5 or quicker, then maybe...(and even then it wouldn't offer much benefit in real world driving).

I know owners' 0-60 tests have been published in forums and blogs, but for those like me who don't follow them closely (or are too lazy to drill deeper into Google...like me), would you please provide links to the published reports of the numbers you mentioned?

You have a timeslip for this you can post?

I ask because it's significantly quicker than any P I've ever seen (and AFAIK significantly quicker than any posted here ever...which was 2.98 or something)... also curious what they used to measure it? (which could potentially explain why it's significantly different from everyone elses times)

6k would still likely be cheaper than it'd cost a current AWD owner to trade his car in for a P3D- though even if they DID do that.

Which they probably won't because what they DID release suggests they're not interested in offering an update that only works for the older 980 drive unit AWD cars and then a different, lesser, update for the newer 990 DU cars.

Instead they released 1 update that works for all of them regardless of if they came with the older shared-with-P drive unit or the newer less capable one.

(and obviously if you're not an owner at all yet this upgrade makes 0 sense compared to just buying a P3D- in the first place for 2k more...but that's no help to those who already have cars- most of whom were buying when either the P3D- was a LOT more money than the AWD- like 10k more at the time- or who ordered during the time the P3D- wasn't being sold at all)

A pretty fair comparison would be buying FSD before or after initial buy. As far as I know there isn't any compelling difference in the price today? Its just software anyways.
Why is everybody under the impression that the 990 units are not as capable as the 980 units. Does any evidence exist?
I think Tesla should give some more information about this offer. Is it a one time upgrade, is it an upgrade package that gives you additional upgrades on a later time? Any good reason we can't do the full upgrade at once? What is really the difference between the Sport and Standard performance profile, is it more difficult to drive economically with the Sport profile, and if so why aren't current P3D models offered the Standard profile?