Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they do have a 2nd boost for an additional $2K to get you to full 3p- performance would you do it?
4K in total

They could even separate Track Mode and charge $1K for that
Make $5K for nothing but software for the full upgrade for those that want it.

If I were Telsa, that is how I would do it and the half way there for $2K makes sense if that is the master plan.

Attachments

• 3991EDB5-2977-482F-88F0-BE2C9F41868F.png
    3991EDB5-2977-482F-88F0-BE2C9F41868F.png
    478.9 KB · Views: 118
Paging @AlanSubie4Life who has dug into this a lot deeper elsewhere and can probably direct link to the data you seem to be missing.

nevermind, I found it :)

First the 2018 EPA efficiency numbers for AWD and P are highlighted in the red box... note how they are identical even though the "max output" numbers elsewhere obviously aren't? Because max output has nothing to do with the discussion

2018epa.jpg

So despite different software- the 980 motor in both cars is the exact same efficiency.

Now here's the 2020 numbers with again a red box around the 18" P and the AWD.

And the numbers are different

Despite the only difference in the hardware being the 980 vs 990 motor.

it's almost like those are different parts

2020epa.jpg

Last edited:
If they do have a 2nd boost for an additional $2K to get you to full 3p- performance would you do it?
4K in total

If I were Telsa, that is how I would do it and the half way there for $2K makes sense if that is the master plan.

I would pay 4K for the full unlock. It was 11,000 originally minus the 5,000 refund. So it was actually 6,000. So 4K without track mode and I would be all for it.

Reactions: Vaillant
4K in total

Heck yeah I would do it and I'm sure there are legions of others who would too. It's the car I wanted from the start. And it's the car I'll be happily driving for probably longer than any car I've owned before so why not maximize the enjoyment? I think it's great Tesla is seizing this opportunity. I've suggested these multiple level's of paid DLC's before in one of my other posts either on here or to Elon on twitter a while back. It excites me if they are moving on it. And if one can't afford it now, what's the worst that could happen? They can save their money until they are able to if they really want it. Everyone wins here.

Reactions: anon52695

First the 2018 EPA efficiency numbers for AWD and P are highlighted in the red box... note how they are identical even though the "max output" numbers elsewhere obviously aren't? Because max output has nothing to do with the discussion

View attachment 490723

So despite different software- the 980 motor in both cars is the exact same efficiency.

View attachment 490725

The difference is odd.
How can you explain the 2018 AWD with 980 getting a worse score than the 2020 3P- with 980 though?

If you look at the same car type (different motor)
The 2018 AWD with 980 motor vs. the 2020 AWD with 990 motor ; the results are nearly identical.
Does that lead you to think the 980 is more efficient?

The more you read the charts and compare 2018 to 2020 the less proof anything in these charts becomes. Why does 2020 3P+ get a worse score than 2018 3P+ for another example

Last edited:
Reactions: PACEMD
Do we know for a fact that the tested AWD had 18" wheels and not 19"? On the sheet it clearly states the 3P- does have 18's.
That would explain the difference for example.

I can’t come up with a PROOF (someone probably can figure out some reasoning), but if you just look at all the numbers and the clear attempt to align the AWD results with the Performance 18”, I think it’s a very reasonable assumption that the AWD has 18” wheels.

How can you explain the 2018 AWD with 980 getting a worse score than the 2020 3P- with 980 though?

There have been efficiency improvements on the 980 motor in the interim. Pretty evident by comparing the 2019 SR+ to the 2020 SR+, for example.

4K in total

Yes we know that because that's the default wheels on the vehicle- and it'd be incredibly stupid to use a LESS efficient wheel for your official EPA figures if you can avoid doing so as it can do nothing but make your product look worse for no benefit.

(it's also how Tesla got away with NOT having to provide 20" figures in 2018... the 'base' P was the 18" wheel one and you're not required to provide data for options- notice this did not work for 2020 because there's no longer a "base" and you can pick options when ordering- you either get the 20" as the base car- or you can get an inventory 18 or 19- so they had to provide figures for all of em since there's no way to "pick" which you want when you order)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
"grasping at straws" would be your argument that somehow Tesla wrote motor control code to make the AWD less efficient despite using the same motor.

Yes that is literally what this thread is about they're unlocking more power in software because it's limited in software.They've released updates which improved mileage and thus efficiency IN SOFTWARE meaning it was limited in software. Where do you think it's coming from?

Yes that is literally what this thread is about they're unlocking more power in software because it's limited in software.They've released updates which improved mileage and thus efficiency IN SOFTWARE meaning it was limited in software. Where do you think it's coming from?

Uh...calm down, go back, and re-read the thread.

I'm replying to a guy suggesting Tesla somehow wrote code to make the AWD less efficient not more.

When in reality the obvious reason the 2020 AWD is less efficient than the P (but wasn't in 2018) was that in 2018 they had the same physical motor in the rear... and in 2020 they have different motors in the rear.

...what?

There is no 3P+ in the 2018 picture.

They used the P3D- as the "base" model which is why the #s match the 980 having AWD car.

Yeah my bad I assumed Performance in the 2018 was with the + :)

I am still not convinced, again the 2018 AWD and 2020 AWD are nearly identical test results with different motor numbers.
Maybe efficiency improvements in the 2020 version of the 980 motor or maybe the report just reads strangely which is why Telsa voluntarily down rated it to match the AWD tests.

Quick question on this upgrade option: I take delivery of my LR AWD tomorrow afternoon. No way for me to see or purchase this until I tell delivery because I’ve maxed out the options with FSD, 19” wheels, white interior.

Will I be able to see this option right after delivery to get the speed upgrade? Thanks!

Quick question on this upgrade option: I take delivery of my LR AWD tomorrow afternoon. No way for me to see or purchase this until I tell delivery because I’ve maxed out the options with FSD, 19” wheels, white interior.

Will I be able to see this option right after delivery to get the speed upgrade? Thanks!

On the screen of the car.
If you go under the driving menu.
There will be a section where you choose acceleration mode

If you see as options "chill" and "standard" you do not have this speed upgrade
If you see as options "chill" and "sport" then you do have this speed upgrade

If you don't have it and paid for it, I am sure the service center can set it straight for you at time of car pickup before you drive home.

On the screen of the car.
If you go under the driving menu.
There will be a section where you choose acceleration mode

If you see as options "chill" and "standard" you do not have this speed upgrade
If you see as options "chill" and "sport" then you do have this speed upgrade

If you don't have it and paid for it, I am sure the service center can set it straight for you at time of car pickup before you drive home.
Thanks! I understand how to tell once I’ve paid for it now to tell if it’s active. Question is how soon will I be able to order it once I take delivery?

Thanks! I understand how to tell once I’ve paid for it now to tell if it’s active. Question is how soon will I be able to order it once I take delivery?

approx. 30 sec.
It is near instantaneous. A second after you hit pay and the payment is complete, your screen will refresh and your acceleration options change
I found it odd how fast it happened and others commented the same.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter

View attachment 490723

View attachment 490725

Or it's almost like that's within the margin of error for legitimate testing variation which is why the guide numbers are identical.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade