Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How will this be accounted for in KBB or other guides? If your car gets totaled, how do you get the insurance company to pay you the extra 2k that doesn't show up in their value estimates?

You could tell your insurance company about it now and have them add it as special coverage ; increasing your monthly rates to do so.
Or you could not tell them and will not get any compensation from them for this extra $2K if your car gets totaled.

Think we have to wait out Telsa's upgrade system of options before the KBB type guides adjust if needed.
If they get very extensive options, I would think the guides will have to account for them.

Reactions: KenC and xanatos
You could tell your insurance company about it now and have them add it as special coverage ; increasing your monthly rates to do so.
Or you could not tell them and will not get any compensation from them for this extra $2K if your car gets totaled.

Think we have to wait out Telsa's upgrade system of options before the KBB type guides adjust if needed.
If they get very extensive options, I would think the guides will have to account for them.
I did not realize this was something you could do, namely, to inform insurance companies of your upgrades and have it documented. Is it a common thing?

As far as this being "unrelated" to the acceleration boost discussion...it's somewhat relevant when it comes to a discussion of the maximum performance available from AWD vehicles with 990 motors. So it's not really off-topic. However, this will be my last post here in this thread specifically about these motors/efficiency questions.

I am still not convinced, again the 2018 AWD and 2020 AWD are nearly identical test results with different motor numbers.

I'll just post the summary of the data that we know. You can draw your own conclusions. It has already been posted above, but I removed some clutter and rounded the numbers. I guess it could all be put into one picture.

• ~4% improvement in efficiency of AWD 18" vehicle with 980 to 990 rear motor change going from 2018 to 2020
  • ~6% improvement in efficiency in RWD vehicle (SR+) with 980 rear motor going from 2019 to 2020
  • ~7% improvement in efficiency of Performance 18" vehicle with 980 rear motor going from 2018 to 2020.
The difference in 2020 could be that they used a proper P3D+ with 18" wheels

But this is not a configuration they have ever sold (nor do standard 18" wheels fit). They do sell a Performance vehicle with 18" wheels with a higher ride height. The difference in range you have pointed out appears to be a typo (should have been ~342 for city). See the screen capture below (last image) showing the fit of the formula 0.6*city + 0.4*hwy. It's way off for that line. Nothing makes sense except a typo. Better to look at the efficiency numbers (128/124 ~= 342.2/331.1 ~= 1.033).

2018 Efficiency.png

2019 Efficiency.png

2020 Efficiency.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.29.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Well current pricing ain't happening for a full uncork, the current update proves that.
I am sticking with my theory this is halfway, because they can and got people to pay $2K for it.
It doesn't mean the car is not capable, heck the update actually lowered the rear motor output so 100% the update does not max out the AWD car.

Now they still have the option on the table of giving the other half for another $2k down the line.
Why make $2K if you can make $4K for the same thing? ; add to that keeping track mode separate is another potential revenue they can tap.
Maybe they will wait until end of Q1 to pad those numbers with some cash influx just like they did this one for end of Q4.

It would be nice if Tesla allowed owners to subscribe to the feature if they wanted. Charge like $30 a month for the acceleration boost. I would even break out the FSD features. I would subscribe to NoA but I don't care about Smart Summon and AutoPark for example. It would bring a nice stream of recurring revenue and enable owners to try out features for a while to see if they want them.

Reactions: AlasCon
I did not realize this was something you could do, namely, to inform insurance companies of your upgrades and have it documented. Is it a common thing?

I don't know how common but just re-did my insurance (switching to Progressive) and their online form for each car had a section to the effect of adding extra items you put on the car and wanted covered. At least that is how it read to me, not sure if other carriers make it that obvious/easy to add.
I imagine those into upgraded stereos commonly add that as they can cost thousands.

Reactions: xanatos
As far as this being "unrelated" to the acceleration boost discussion...it's somewhat relevant when it comes to a discussion of the maximum performance available from AWD vehicles with 990 motors. So it's not really off-topic. However, this will be my last post here in this thread specifically about these motors/efficiency questions.

I'll just post the summary of the data that we know. You can draw your own conclusions. It has already been posted above, but I removed some clutter and rounded the numbers. I guess it could all be put into one picture.

• ~4% improvement in efficiency of AWD 18" vehicle with 980 to 990 rear motor change going from 2018 to 2020
  • ~6% improvement in efficiency in RWD vehicle (SR+) with 980 rear motor going from 2019 to 2020
  • ~7% improvement in efficiency of Performance 18" vehicle with 980 rear motor going from 2018 to 2020.

But this is not a configuration they have ever sold (nor do standard 18" wheels fit). They do sell a Performance vehicle with 18" wheels with a higher ride height. The difference in range you have pointed out appears to be a typo (should have been ~342 for city). See the screen capture below (last image) showing the fit of the formula 0.6*city + 0.4*hwy. It's way off for that line. Nothing makes sense except a typo. Better to look at the efficiency numbers (128/124 ~= 342.2/331.1 ~= 1.033).

View attachment 490760
View attachment 490761
View attachment 490763 View attachment 490771

If we had motor ratings I'd agree with you but we don't have those so these numbers are moot there's too many assumptions you have to make to get to Knowing anything here.

One interesting thing I found is that at least for the 2019 model year Tesla doesn't even submit independent test results for the performance and LR AWD they just submit 1 set of results for "LR AWD/Performance" I don't see how they could do that if they were functionally different. At best this means the differences in the dataset are irrelevant

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=46969&flag=1
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=46585&flag=1

That's it I'm done If everyone here is so uncomfortable accepting there's things that are unknown right now that's your problem.

Any further posts will be on different topics

It would be nice if Tesla allowed owners to subscribe to the feature if they wanted. Charge like $30 a month for the acceleration boost. I would even break out the FSD features. I would subscribe to NoA but I don't care about Smart Summon and AutoPark for example. It would bring a nice stream of recurring revenue and enable owners to try out features for a while to see if they want them.

I would like that as well.

If leasing becomes popular I think they will have to think about monthly options for things like FSD and these acceleration boosts.
Makes no sense to pay $7K for FSD if you are leasing a 3 that needs to be given back to Telsa in 3-4 years.

My uneducated guess is they fear the monthly model cause too many would try FSD for a month or two, decide it is not worth it and cancel. Compared to those paying $7K upfront and not able to get a refund if they wanted to.

at least for the 2019 model year Tesla doesn't even submit independent test results for the performance and LR AWD they just submit 1 set of results for "LR AWD/Per

Alright...never mind my statement above that that would be my last post.

You can see right there in the notes and the test that for 2019 Model year they used the 2018 vehicle and the 2018 test results from April 2018. (And it's also outlined in my above post - if it says "unchanged," it means no retest!) I don't really know how they got away with this given they swapped to a different rear motor for the AWD in the middle of the year, but never mind...at the time of the 2019 submission, at least, this was the vehicle they were selling.

Last I checked the detailed 2020 testing data has not yet been posted. It will probably be posted soon. I hope they maintain the same format with all the details - it's really nice. Would be good to have that to really draw final conclusions here.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 2.06.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks! I understand how to tell once I’ve paid for it now to tell if it’s active. Question is how soon will I be able to order it once I take delivery?

Triggerman: as Julien posted above your car does need to have the most recent firmware and it is rare for the new cars on the lot for pickup to actually have that.
You may need to specifically request the service department upgrade you to the latest firmware when getting the car which could mean waiting around a bit for them to get to it.

If not, you may have to take it home and could take a night or two to get the latest firmware update to the car via wifi before you can add this option.
I overlooked that aspect when I replied initially but Julien is correct.

Couple of things to note.

1) The folks that are seeing it in their app, are on Apple. The Android app is not showing an update (yet) But you can find the upgrade on your account on the webpage. ** It is now showing in the app store for android **

2) Either you think it is worth it, or you don't. No one is forcing you to buy it. Kinda like when you decided to buy Tesla and not Chevy.

3) Here is a good visual on what the difference is.

It will leave you with a smile and a slightly lighter wallet. Is it worth it? That is up to you to decide.

Last edited:

This option is easy to pass along to your insurance company. We know the cost. Its $2k.

Its options like Unlimited Super Charging and Early Access that really presents an issue.

If you spend significant money on modding your car, absolutely. A set of forged HRE's can run $10k. Real carbon fiber pieces are expensive. Upgraded turbos, etc.

You just need to have receipts and contact your insurance company and get them to agree on a replacment value.

But this is not a configuration they have ever sold (nor do standard 18" wheels fit). They do sell a Performance vehicle with 18" wheels with a higher ride height. The difference in range you have pointed out appears to be a typo (should have been ~342). See the screen capture below (last image) showing the fit of the formula 0.6*city + 0.4*hwy. It's way off for that line. Nothing makes sense except a typo. Better to look at the efficiency numbers.

View attachment 490760
View attachment 490761
View attachment 490763 View attachment 490771

Doesn't make much sense that a vehicle that is heavier and has an extra front motor as unsprung mass improves more than the lighter SR+ despite having the same 980 motor.
  • 2,6% and 3,6% improvement in City and Highway driving for SR+ 2019 to 2020
  • 3,7% and 7,4% improvement in City and Highway driving for P3D 2019 to 2020
  • 3,4% and 4,5% improvement in City and Highway driving for AWD 2019 to 2020

How come the P3D improved so much over the SR+ with the same motors? By your 990 vs 980 logic the SR+ should at least have a similar increase in Highway driving? But it doesn't, the AWD even improved more in highway from 2019 to 2020. Only makes sense that they used a proper lowered P3D+ with 18" wheels.

Could be that they will release more wheel options for the P3D in 2020, we've already seen in the EPC earlier that they probably will release a track mode package. I think a lot of people are looking for a P3D with 18" and don't know about the Stealths, so maybe Tesla is looking to come with an 18" option soon.

Arrgghhh. Have to keep responding.

• 2,6% and 3,6% improvement in City and Highway driving for SR+ 2019 to 2020
  • 3,7% and 7,4% improvement in City and Highway driving for P3D 2019 to 2020
  • 3,4% and 4,5% improvement in City and Highway driving for AWD 2019 to 2020

Confused.
Not sure how you're coming up with these numbers (don't use the range numbers - they depend on energy available!):

SR+:
City: 148/140 => 5.7% Hwy: 132/124 => 6.5%
P3D:
City: 128/120 => 6.7% Hwy: 120/112 => 7.1%
AWD:
City: 124/120 => 3.3% Hwy: 116/112 => 3.6%

All looks pretty conceivable.

an extra front motor as unsprung mass

I know people are talking about making electric motors unsprung, but last I saw Tesla wasn't doing that!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrHopsing
Quick question on this upgrade option: I take delivery of my LR AWD tomorrow afternoon. No way for me to see or purchase this until I tell delivery because I’ve maxed out the options with FSD, 19” wheels, white interior.

Will I be able to see this option right after delivery to get the speed upgrade? Thanks!

I would wait to get the 2K boost. Drive your new AWD for a few days to get use to it. Then when you add the 2K boost you will appreciate it more and have something to compare it to. There is no way to go back to Standard once you add the Sport (boost) mode. But you will still have the same Chill mode on both versions.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me