Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm only hours from Fremont and I still haven't got the update, yet Canada did. What the heck Tesla?!
.....so the update is delivered by pony express and the horse passed your house without stopping? :D Even odder I had the update listed on my iPhone night before last but was MIA iyesterday morning and still not back.

IMG_3421 (1).jpeg

• Love
Reactions: rob968
You are the only one as far as I know.

If it's faster, then there will be greater G forces, but whether you feel the difference or not is on you. The car literally has 50 Nm more torque from 0 mph on up to around ~72 then it starts to taper. Comparing my fastest times pre and post boost, it is quicker in 0-10 mph by 0.1s, 0-20 by 0.17s and 0-30 by .25s - these times will translate into higher G forces and that is definitely a faster launch right from the start. I'm going to chalk this up to either you don't really have the boost or something is amiss. Show Vbox or Dragy logs if it's that concerning to you.

Where did you buy your TSW 18" Nurburgring wheels? Are they 18X9 and do the stock tires fit? Thanks.

Where did you buy your TSW 18" Nurburgring wheels? Are they 18X9 and do the stock tires fit? Thanks.

EVTuning

I had originally ordered 18x8.5 as that's all they had in stock in gunmetal but they accidentally sent me 18x8. Here's some quote from discussion's I had with them regarding fitment with the stock tires: "The 18x9's are also too wide for your stock tires if you were going to go square. The 18x8's fit the stock tires really well because the sidewall of the tire extends past the face of the wheel. The .5" difference from the stock wheels helps with this. The Tesla spec Michelin tire has a very shallow sidewall that leaves the face of the wheel unprotected) what finish do you want and then we can go from there with fixing this mistake."

I ended up just keeping what they sent, which was 18x8 ET35 square. The stock Michelins do fit great.

Reactions: Super Gizmo
I think I may also have a second unicorn. Took delivery of AWD, non-performance model with the aero wheels in September 2018. I decided to look into adding the performance upgrade. Not seeing an upgrade option on either the Tesla site or on the app, I started reading this thread. I am seeing the same thing as @dgo3. Red underlined 'Dual Motor' on the app, Chill and Sport driving modes. I don't know about the splash screen.

Funny thing is Tesla applied the red underlined performance Dual Motor badge when I took it in. I didn't think anything of it at the time; I figured they made a mistake.

It always felt like my car was faster than indicated by the stats. But I figured it was my imagination. Now I'm thinking I really do have a stealth performance model.

Feeling very fortunate!
You have exact same story as me. Took delivery of my LR AWD EAP model 3 September 29, 2018-end of Q3 madness. Didn’t realize until January of 2020 that I’ve been driving a Stealth P this whole time. I wanted the Acceleration Boost when I got the email in December, but it wasn’t showing up in upgrades. Called Tesla CS multiple times and got zero help. It wasn’t until I went on the TMC forum that I realized what I had. Red line under Dual Motor and Track Mode should have been giveaways but again, I didn’t even know a Stealth existed and I know I didn’t pay for one. And like you, the only possible giveaway was when the Tesla service guy asked me which badge I wanted. I thought he was joking and reminded him I didn’t have a P. He didn’t say anything to that. I like to believe Elon gave me a 50th birthday gift, but now I’m thinking we’re a small group of the luckiest 3 owners out there!

You have exact same story as me. Took delivery of my LR AWD EAP model 3 September 29, 2018-end of Q3 madness. Didn’t realize until January of 2020 that I’ve been driving a Stealth P this whole time.

I'm calling shenanigans. How would you not know that you had a Stealth Performance? You sales person didn't say anything? Didn't you notice that is had Track Mode? Better yet, didn't you notice the price difference?

I'm calling shenanigans. How would you not know that you had a Stealth Performance? You sales person didn't say anything? Didn't you notice that is had Track Mode? Better yet, didn't you notice the price difference?

I understand your doubt. It makes a guy who thought he was pretty up on Tesla appear a little slow. Here’s what I can state truthfully. I paid for a LR AWD EAP Model 3. Couldn’t afford the Performance model. Picked up car on perhaps busiest Model 3 delivery day in history, September 29, 2018. It was a total madhouse. My paperwork took very little time. It was dark when I received vehicle and quickly went over interior with CS. Drove off that night, loving my car. I think at some point I noticed Track Mode in driving screen, but it looked greyed out. I remember remarking that it was a “tease” by Tesla because it was “there” but wasn’t functional (didn’t know at the time depressing the brake turned it on). Other than badge visit (which I documented) and tire rotation in 8/19, I haven’t had reason to bring car in. Yes, the car is ridiculously fast, but unless I drove a P and non-P back to back, how would I know difference? If anything, my story illustrates how important the TMC forums are to Tesla owners. I spent hours on the phone with multiple Tesla CS reps during December and January. You would think one of those guys would be able to see the P in my car description. I question whether most CS reps even know what a stealth is. I’ve gone over all my paperwork from sale (I hold onto sales records for a while) and there is ZERO indication that I have a P. I consider myself to be one of the luckiest guys on Earth. I like to say now that Elon got my personal note noting my 50th birthday in 8/18 and silently bumped me up. The reality is I probably just got lucky. Tesla needed to fill orders, they had some 3s programmed with P specs but had more non-P orders to fill and randomly gifted some Steaths (or they just screwed up). If you knew how many hours I wasted on phone with Tesla CS trying to solve Acceleration Boost in December and January, you would know I’m being sincere. I am eternally grateful to Tesla for my secret upgrade and eternally grateful to this site for the knowledge base. If that doesn’t float your boat, keep hating.......

Tesla is readying a new option, internally … - teslamotors - Reddit

Reddit post about an acceleration mode....

There are people corroborating the rumor via their account homepage. However, I can't see it on mine, since I already have FSD, so I don't have any "live"/official software updates available to me.

But.... $2,000 for this? Supposedly 10% improvement in 0-60 times (read the tweet thread).

Tesla Change Tracker on Twitter

Guys....now we're talking about P3D's that might be able to clear 2.75s 0-60.

That's Ludicrous (which they probably chose not to say.....so S and X can still have that)

I picked up a Model 3 Dual Motor last month and immediately added the Acceleration Boost for $2k. It’s quicker. But below 50% battery the power seems to drop quite a bit. Since it’s purely a software update I wish Tesla would add more power. Car can easily handle it.
My other main mod was overhauling the audio. Added a front 3 way speaker system. Dynaudio Esotan 372 speakers and a Helix V Eight mk2 amp w DSP. It integrates with the remaining factory system. 8x85w channels. The last two were fed as a single to power factory sub. The difference is stunning. The lower spectrum is so alive now, the sound stage is huge. Everything crisp and clean, super dynamic.
Cost installed was $3k, and it’s reversible for 2 hours of labor.
Performed by Unexpected Creations in Edison, NJ.

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but with the acceleration boost do you also get the new track mode with skid pad visualization, etc.?

That for me would make it worth it. $2k for 1/2 second better 0-60 time is still pretty valuable but harder to justify.